Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site Work Costs?

• 29-09-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Got a quote from a guy who came recommended to carry out proper site works on problem site to supply adequate drainage.
    He also does the perc test too.
    initial phone conversation, from what I described the site was between €14-1600. which seemed a good deal.
    He then came out to see the site and advised it would probably be around 2k.
    Now today after reviewing all the work involved he now reckons it will be more €3000 to get everything done.
    Bit of a set back, especially as we're working within a budget.
    Not that I doubt him or anything, he seems genuine enough.
    and even offered me the chance to use my own man to carry out all the digging work to keep costs down.
    but I just want a second opinion...
    site is a little over an acre.
    we need to :

refill old perc hole.
    kill the grass (too many rocks, etc.. for mowing)
    plough it
    dig a 70m french drain across the site
    redig percolation area
    bring in gravel, clay, etc... for drainage
    put down mole drains
    resow the site
    and finally carry out the perc. test

A good lot of work I agree.
    Just wondering what people think of the 3k price tag?! :o

He's very confident he can get the right t's & p values we require,
    bit of a gamble how and ever when you're still not guaranteed PP.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

I'm not expert but IMO that seems like a resonable price. You could poss get 200/400 euro better price, but I honestly think you get what you pay for. At the end of the day if "He's very confident he can get the right t's & p values" and he does, it would be cheap at 5 times the cost. You can budget all you like but I would mean nothing without Planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

yeah...
    I know the guy that does the digging part fairly well and he was quite generous before when i used him to clear ditches.
    so i'm banking he might give me a bit of a deal with the promise of giving him all the foundations/raft type work once planning is received.
    still though, there's nothing worse when people's prices jump up and up like that!

is grass killing using chemicals rather than mowing a lot more expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Do you own this site?
    The price seems ok especially if it includes EPA Soil test report and new lawns.

Why are you planting grass and laying a 70m drain?

I'd do the soil test and apply for permission, then if sucessful I'd look at a stone burrier, lawn seed, etc

Why spend so much when all you really need is a soil test? (Circa €500 - €1000)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

sorry I should have mentioned.
    I had a percolation test done on it already, last year.
    It read a P Value of 35 and a T value of 81, although t was only done in one drop. (which was picked up by the coco.)
    So going on this, the subsoil is not really draining enough.
    Ideally I need to get a t value of below 50.
    and this guy maintains that laying down these drains, etc.. should provide that.
    Also I do own this land.

Advertisement