Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused refund from Xtravision

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

javaboy wrote: »
    Why should he have to ring on his lunch break? The company is at fault.

exactly, the company is at fault, not the minimum wage part-time employee. the reason he should have to ring on his lunch break is that the person who enforces the policy and has some control over the policy is available during that time. his only alternative is to bully a teenager
    As far as I'm concerned, if they are willing to conduct business during the hours a manager isn't there, they should be prepared to refund people when necessary as part of that.
    absolutely they should. that still doesn't make it the teenager's fault

no one's saying he didn't have a right to be annoyed or that it's a good policy. we're just saying he directed his anger at the wrong person

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    exactly, the company is at fault, not the minimum wage part-time employee. the reason he should have to ring on his lunch break is that the person who enforces the policy and has some control over the policy is available during that time. his only alternative is to bully a teenager

absolutely they should. that still doesn't make it the teenager's fault

no one's saying he didn't have a right to be annoyed or that it's a good policy. we're just saying he directed his anger at the wrong person

I wonder would people have a different view of this if it was a man in his 30's or 40's who refused to give a refund instead of a teenage girl.

The fact is the company is at fault. The employee is a representative of the company and must be prepared to take some flak for the policies she represents. Threatening an employee with legal action isn't the route I would go down personally but I wouldn't blame someone else for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Who on earth has the right to treat someone like that and expect to be treated with respect?

This is why customer-facing jobs are a nightmare, whether it's in a shop or in a call center. How in the name of god can anyone bring themselves so low as to go screaming, shouting and ranting at some poor student working on a part-time basis to get some cash is beyond me. And over piss all money too.

I worked in XV part-time too, and I could never understand how irate people got. All I was able to do was do the work I was asked to, and stick to the rules. There was no physical way for me to refund a customer...
    I hope you feel really proud of yourself and realise what a fool you made of yourself!!

The other thing is people never realise how "famous" they become. In XV it happened a lot because obviously people would come back on a weekly basis. If you've conducted your business in a shop by shouting about the place or generally being a bag of excrement, you have a nickname.
    enda1 wrote: »
    Everyone who I know who has worked in XtraVision has been held up, so I'm sure she'll survive the poor dear...

I worked in probably the dodgiest area and was never held up. There was only one robbery while I was employed there, and that was someone robbing stuff while the staff were out the back tending to customers.

It's off topic, but XV have a horrendous policy on security. They'll take the hit on a few robberies rather then pay security, especially over the Christmas period which was manic. Someone will have to be seriously injured before they'll spend some money.
    I hate when shops spout that ****e, managers only.

And what's your reaction when someone says it? It's absolutely true. Unfortunately, temp staff are very likely to start robbing if you give them the power to do anything other then take in cash. Most chains do this, but XV just has very few managers in stores, so there's a good chance you won't have one on duty at 10PM at night...

Their one or two managers would be needed during the day for paperwork/cash management and the like. Having an evening-shift manager would cost too much money for 'em.
    Speak with your money to be honest and just don't go to places with shít customer service.

+1
    If you think you've been hard done by, go somewhere else. Granted, in this situation, you won't be treated much different.
    Why should he have to wait though? They have his money. He is due it back because Xtravision didn't hold up their end of the contract. It's reasonable to expect to be able to get your money back during the shop's trading hours.

Agree'd, but that's not some part-timers fault. Why shout at someone who can do nothing about it in the first place?
    rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno how this applies to rental items, they could come under a whole other spectrum.

Rental is easily dealt with. Every XV has a book for staff to fill in. The management the next day will just add a credit to a customers' account so you get a "free" rental at a later stage.

A rental disc is not owned by the customer, it's owned by the company. The company would clean up if they enforced a policy that checked all disks for damage after rental. I own a pile of DVD's/Games etc. and none of them are scratched. The state of disks in rental stores is unreal.
    Threatening an employee with legal action isn't the route I would go down personally but I wouldn't blame someone else for doing so.

Ringing a teenager to say you'll be bringing them to court isn't legal action - it's bullying some kid who can't do anything anyway. If you can ring the kid, like someone else said, you can ring the manager.

I wonder would people have a different view of this if it was a man in his 30's or 40's who refused to give a refund instead of a teenage girl.

The fact is the company is at fault. The employee is a representative of the company and must be prepared to take some flak for the policies she represents. Threatening an employee with legal action isn't the route I would go down personally but I wouldn't blame someone else for doing so.

a man in his 30's or 40's would know that he has no grounds for legal action against him and laugh in his face, the teenager doesn't know that as evidenced by the fact that she gave him the refund instead of doing the correct action, ie laugh in his face.

but that doesn't make it any more ok to threaten a person for something that they have no control over

if you're ever attacked because somebody has a grievance with your company i hope you'll look back at this thread and say to yourself "well i partially deserve this for not quitting my job over €6 that was unfairly kept from this gentleman"

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    if you're ever attacked because somebody has a grievance with your company i hope you'll look back at this thread and say to yourself "well i partially deserve this for not quitting my job over €6 that was unfairly kept from this gentleman"

If I'm ever in the situation where I have to implement a stupid policy such as the one in question, I'll be prepared to receive some flak for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

As far as I'm concerned, if they are willing to conduct business during the hours a manager isn't there, they should be prepared to refund people when necessary as part of that.

I have a motor insurance policy, prepaid, that offers 24 hour breakdown cover. If I call on this service at 3 in the morning and it isn't forthcoming, it doesn't matter how loud I scream....I won't be able to cancel that policy until the next business day. So what is the point in taking out my frustration on the wrong person just to vent? I am not disagreeing with you. Ideally any unpleasant situation is best ended amicably and as quickly as possible.....but if it can't be done it can't be done. Just wait until it can.

I have never made a more diplomatic point in my life. I didn't mention kidnapping once!!

I have a motor insurance policy, prepaid, that offers 24 hour breakdown cover. If I call on this service at 3 in the morning and it isn't forthcoming, it doesn't matter how loud I scream....I won't be able to cancel that policy until the next business day. So what is the point in taking out my frustration on the wrong person just to vent?

I get what you're saying but it's a slightly different situation. Xtravision sell and rent movies and games. I'm guessing their busiest trading hours are outside of the usual 9-5. It makes sense for them to be able to perform all the required tasks including giving refunds outside of the typical office working hours. In the case of your motor insurance policy, it's fairly clear when you sign up what the hours would be for customer service issues. If you can't get a quote at 3am for a new policy, then you wouldn't expect to be able to cancel or get a refund at 3am either. With Xtravision, they are perfectly happy to take your money at 9pm so they should be able to do refunds.
    I am not disagreeing with you. Ideally any unpleasant situation is best ended amicably and as quickly as possible.....but if it can't be done it can't be done. Just wait until it can.

I have never made a more diplomatic point in my life. I didn't mention kidnapping once!!

I'd agree with you about ending a situation amicably. I wouldn't have gone about it the way the poster in question did personally. I just disagree with the idea that staff should be completely unaccountable for the policies they implement.

If I'm ever in the situation where I have to implement a stupid policy such as the one in question, I'll be prepared to receive some flak for it.

why is that? will taking this flak affect the policy? will taking this flak allow you to not follow the policy? what purpose is served by taking flak about something over which you have no control? is it not far more efficient for all concerned to give the flak to the person who enforces the policy and has some say over whether the policy is enforced or not?

when i was working in retail, any customer who ranted at me may as well have been ranting about the policies of the shop next door because i had as much control over them as i had over the policies in the shop i worked in

ranting at me was simply wasting my time and theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Haven't read the full thread, but just thought I'd add that when I used to work in xtravision I would usually look at the disc before giving it the customer (providing it wasn't too busy, or it was a brand new release). If the disc was scratched, I'd just take another copy of the same title in case it caused them problems and would hence result in more work for everyone.

If we got a disc returned, I'd have a look at the surface and if it was obviously destroyed I'd just give them a replacement no questions asked. If the disc seemed ok, I'd put it in our player and show the customer that it was working, or not, in which case I'd give them a replacement or put the credit on their account if they didn't want a replacement.

As someone earlier said, we rarely gave cash refunds because it wasn't really part of our job, moreso the managers. But we were able to give credit to the account.

The best way around the problem of scratched discs is to just check it before you leave the shop. It's the only good thing about the durability of DVD's, you can tell just with a quick glance if it's dodgy or not.

Advertisement