Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty for NCT lapse for 6 months.

Options
  • 29-09-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a guy today who says his NCT had expired last march and he is still driving around yet the car is still taxed. What is the penalty if he was caught? Dose he have to pay any "back fees" similar to back taxing. Can the car be impounded and is he technically insured. His dog chewed his rear seat belts so he is expecting a definite failure on that one.This topic probably came up several times already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I was talking to a guy today who says his NCT had expired last march and he is still driving around yet the car is still taxed. What is the penalty if he was caught? Dose he have to pay any "back fees" similar to back taxing. Can the car be impounded and is he technically insured. His dog chewed his rear seat belts so he is expecting a definite failure on that one.This topic probably came up several times already.

He's already busted by all our CCTV & ANPR networks in Dublin lol. He can expect the T2000 at his door to exerminate his car :pac:

I'd imagine it would depend on the garda in question. I know its supposed to be a 'mandatory court appearence' but my last car never had one and they didn't seem to be too bothered. They wanted me to NCT it twice or something because it missed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

the nct will expire based on when it was _supposed_ to be done

so if he gets it done now, and presuming its 2 years (pretty sure it is lol), his NCT will now expire in ~18 months

not sure bout the penalty if the gardai get ya.. sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

yup the guards dont seem bothered by it,i know someone who ended up in court for not having a valid nct but it was thrown out because they got it just after being stopped,
    and as far as i know if he nct`d the car now it would only be valid for the next year and a half,they just take the time it was elapsed off the normal two year period,not that scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

He's already busted by all our CCTV & ANPR networks in Dublin lol. He can expect the T2000 at his door to exerminate his car :pac:

I'd imagine it would depend on the garda in question. I know its supposed to be a 'mandatory court appearence' but my last car never had one and they didn't seem to be too bothered. They wanted me to NCT it twice or something because it missed one.
    I already gave him a lecture about crossing the Westlink and the new Garda ANPR Gatsos. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I already gave him a lecture about crossing the Westlink and the new Garda ANPR Gatsos. :pac::pac::pac:

I don't doubt that for a second :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement