Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Couric Fallout

Options
  • 29-09-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

So it seems that there has been some fallout from Katie Couric's interview with Sarah Palin.

In case anyone doesn't know, Katie Couric is one of America's darlings and news anchor on CBS news.

In the fallout of the interview several republicans and conservatives have turned on Palin, most notably Kathleen Parker, who called for Palin to drop out of the race.

Jack Cafferty of CNN has a scathing analysis of the interview here. To be fair, Cafferty isn't exactly neutral and has been overly critical of McCain, but he has no love of the Democratic party either.

The Couric interview can be seen on youtube

It is pretty shocking and doesn't bode well for the VP debate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh dear. Big on rethoric, but no coherent thought and no research done on the topics she's being asked about. At first it was funny but the idea that she is actually a possible VP/Pres is just...hard to find a word strong enough actually.

Edit: using the word maverick is not a valid argument for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Oh dear. Big on rethoric, but no coherent thought and no research done on the topics she's being asked about. At first it was funny but the idea that she is actually a possible VP/Pres is just...hard to find a word strong enough actually.

Edit: using the word maverick is not a valid argument for anything!

Ah give her her due, her foreign policy credentials do come form the fact she belongs to a state that borders, well has martime (big word there she leant recently) border with Russia.
    She must have learnt that from Deadliest Catch on TV.
    And she actually knows the other side of the state borders Canada.
    Now I hope for the Yukon's sake, if she were ever to be president (listen crazier sh** has happened in the states, just ask bubba Bush or ask John Ashcroft who managed to lose to guy six feet under) she remembers which direction to fire the nukes.

Was the iditarod on, were they all out crab fishing or had moose hunting season just started the day she got elected to the senate :rolleyes:
    I suppose maybe they just wanted to get her out of the state :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Wow. I think we saw the genuine angry Jack there, not the usual paid angry Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How the hell can they come out this morning saying they are going to be the presidential ticket that works For The People when they ignore the polls?

For ****s sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

In another version of the same clip you get a splits second of Jack saying "You can bet they won't show THAT on FOX"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Palin returns to another Couric interview but this time with her daddy supervising.

You could see McCain was shi'ttin himself when palin started talking afraid of what she might say next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

axer wrote: »
    Palin returns to another Couric interview but this time with her daddy supervising.

You could see McCain was shi'ttin himself when palin started talking afraid of what she might say next.

Car crash TV I had to watch in in 4 1 minute sections, it's just horrible to watch.

Damn liberal media!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

It's very hard not to get worried for America if this woman passes as an acceptable VP candidate. When he picked her, my initial reaction was to think that he'd made a politically savvy move, which would take the spotlight off Obama. i knew nothing of her, but assumed that, as she was an elected State Governor, she would at least be politically articulate. How wrong was i!

The feeling i'm left with now is that McCain sold his Maverick soul (again) by making a rash decision (he'd only met her twice before - ever!), purely for the headlines it would write and, dare i say it for risk of being called sexist, her gender. He saw the phenomenal support Clinton received and reckoned that his flagging campaign could be rejuvenated by putting a woman on the ticket. But he picked the wrong woman!

Although i'd be a Democrat if i was American and am rooting for Obama, i still had respect for McCain - saw him as an outsider in the GOP, who had to make certain concessions to the Right in order to be nominated. i still liked him from way back in 2000, when he fought a valiant battle against W for the Republican nod, only to fail largely due to Karl Rove's filthy dirty tricks. But his choice of VP has really made me lose respect for him.

She's an unmitigated disaster and i hope she bombs tomorrow night. Alas, the spin merchants are busy at work, teaching her her lines and posing likely questions to her, to allow her time to prepare. She 'acted' quite well in her Convention speech, but hopefully the format of the debate might throw her a bit!

Biden needs to keep a steady course and an even keel and he'll be okay. But the Dems need to attack her more. Obama should use the post-debate period to remind people of her lack of credentials (albeit in a subtle, yet firm way). Actually no, they need to completely discredit her! Because the things she says really make her an easy and fair target

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

I love Palin interviews, in a rubbernecking way.

I'm *really* looking forward to her debating.

And ruling the Free World, ofc.

Oh dear

CtrlSource wrote: »
    It's very hard not to get worried for America if this woman passes as an acceptable VP candidate. When he picked her, my initial reaction was to think that he'd made a politically savvy move, which would take the spotlight off Obama. i knew nothing of her, but assumed that, as she was an elected State Governor, she would at least be politically articulate. How wrong was i!

The feeling i'm left with now is that McCain sold his Maverick soul (again) by making a rash decision (he'd only met her twice before - ever!), purely for the headlines it would write and, dare i say it for risk of being called sexist, her gender. He saw the phenomenal support Clinton received and reckoned that his flagging campaign could be rejuvenated by putting a woman on the ticket. But he picked the wrong woman!

Although i'd be a Democrat if i was American and am rooting for Obama, i still had respect for McCain - saw him as an outsider in the GOP, who had to make certain concessions to the Right in order to be nominated. i still liked him from way back in 2000, when he fought a valiant battle against W for the Republican nod, only to fail largely due to Karl Rove's filthy dirty tricks. But his choice of VP has really made me lose respect for him.

She's an unmitigated disaster and i hope she bombs tomorrow night. Alas, the spin merchants are busy at work, teaching her her lines and posing likely questions to her, to allow her time to prepare. She 'acted' quite well in her Convention speech, but hopefully the format of the debate might throw her a bit!

Biden needs to keep a steady course and an even keel and he'll be okay. But the Dems need to attack her more. Obama should use the post-debate period to remind people of her lack of credentials (albeit in a subtle, yet firm way). Actually no, they need to completely discredit her! Because the things she says really make her an easy and fair target

It's beyond a joke, everyone posting here, despite not being American, could have done a better job answering those 5 questions.

CBS have one that didn't air, they asked her to name any Supreme Court Judgements.......the only one she knew was Roe v Wade (abortion case) and instead of ranting there was just silence when pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

axer wrote: »

wow. she should have come up for air while she was reciting that memo. She practically cut off courich's question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I think they are becoming best friends at this stage.
    There was another one last night

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4490713n

Should be on youtube in few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

cooker3 wrote: »
    I think they are becoming best friends at this stage.
    There was another one last night

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4490713n

Should be on youtube in few hours

Couric tried to get her to name a single newspaper she reads and she couldn't. She tried to turn it around to insinuate that Couric was implying that Alaskans are cut off and don't get the news or keep up with things. The disgusted face on Katie Couric was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

javaboy wrote: »
    Couric tried to get her to name a single newspaper she reads and she couldn't.

Unreal. How is this woman even in government, let alone running for VP.

btw, anyone a link to the full interview all together?

Forgot to add. Pay attention to Courics face at 35 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hobbes wrote: »

Unreal. How is this woman even in government, let alone running for VP.

btw, anyone a link to the full interview all together?

She sounds eerily like David Brent/Homer Simpson.

Couric: "What safety initiatives have you spearheaded in the last year?"
    Palin: "Um... all of them? :o"

It's like someone doing a skit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Lol @ "I have read most of them" "all of them, any of them". She is a bright spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CBS interview was not the train wreck of the first interview. Was quite surprised and thought she did OK in it overall. Came across as far more natural than whatever they have been trying to turn her into. From her point of view that might be better in the debate than attempting to wrestle with actual issues. Can't see the big deal with the newspaper thing unless it's yet another excuse to re-emphasise how stupid she is. Who knows what they read and frankly who cares?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Who knows what they read and frankly who cares?

Couric explains why it is a big deal at the start. Because it gives you a good idea of the persons ideology and world view if you know their favorite newspapers.

What it looked like to me (from looking at other parts of interview) if she is given a question that is outside of the ones she has been coached on then she makes a complete mess of it.

I can't wait for the VP debates! It will be like all the daily shows rolled into one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'll just have to disagree with you on that. I am also looking forward to the debate. The one thing going for her is that expectations have been set so low that anything more coherent , like the way she explained her personal beliefs, will be viewed with surprise or relief depending on where you're standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Inquitus wrote: »
    CBS have one that didn't air, they asked her to name any Supreme Court Judgements.......the only one she knew was Roe v Wade (abortion case) and instead of ranting there was just silence when pressed.

You're kidding me?! :eek: <rhetorical>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hobbes wrote: »
    I can't wait for the VP debates! It will be like all the daily shows rolled into one.

I very much doubt it. I expect the debate to be the same type of damp squib that every Presidential and vide-presidential candidate debate has been in recent memory.

As you said yourself...she falls apart when asked questions outside what she has been coached on. The "debates" will be nothing but what she has been coached on.

bonkey wrote: »
    I very much doubt it. I expect the debate to be the same type of damp squib that every Presidential and vide-presidential candidate debate has been in recent memory.

As you said yourself...she falls apart when asked questions outside what she has been coached on. The "debates" will be nothing but what she has been coached on.

Aye, they will either have her mic'ed up (remember the Bush rumours) or they will have taught her word for word answers to all likely questions.

That said she does seem to wilt under pressure and she may well garble the responses if they have tried to cram here head, thats what seemed to happen on that comedy gold what do you think about the bailout question.

bonkey wrote: »
    I very much doubt it.

Well what I can see is Biden saying something stupid which will trigger Palin into one of her rambles.

I'm reminded of the saying that the 2 greatest misconceptions about politicians are that they are stupid, and that they mean well. Palin seems easy to trash on the first, but...

Everyone remember the last village idiot we all laughed at the inarticulate incoherence of?

Interesting response on newspapers; 'I read them all, of course, just not any specifically...stop saying Alaskans are ignorant, you media-Washington-elite types'. As a move, laughable as it is, it's 'on message' and I reckon plays fairly well.

Kama wrote: »
    'I read them all, of course, just not any specifically...stop saying Alaskans are ignorant, you media-Washington-elite types'.

Aye but she delivered that message in a garbled inarticulate manner, bristling with self doubt and lacking confidence, it genuinely looked like she couldn't name a paper, had she said what you said above, and she didn't, she would have come across infinitely better.

Secondly, she makes Bush look like he's got Albert Einstein's brain and Martin Luther King's speech delivery skills.

Anyone know what time the debate is on? I have a 9am but god I'd love to stay up for this one....jesus wept when she said she read all of the newspapers, how she had a great appreciation of the media-after bitching about a "gotcha" the day before. I never really believed that American politicans were totally dumb until now. I notice that the usual republican apologists are very very quiet in this thread too. Even they see they can't defend this muppet. Anyone got odds on Palin breaking down in tears during the debate? I want a piece of that action.

My innate pessimism says she'll perform better than people think.

I hope I'm wrong. She came across a lot better in the cbs video balancing wedge issues, rather than the trainwreck one where she just seemed to randomly regurgitate bits of issues her handlers had briefed her on buzzwords for.

Mind you, if she loses, its just a media conspiracy from Washington running it anyway. With their facts and their newspapers and their elitist rationality...She's an ordinary person not a machine politician, a MAVERICK, you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I actually thought she came across very well in the last interview compared to the first interview. I also though Couric overstepped the line in a couple of questions, can't see her asking Obhama or McCain if they agree with the morning after pill.

Advertisement