Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New House Light fixtures

• 29-09-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was wondering if anybody has any idea about which kind of light fixtures we should install in our new build?? Is there a difference in what electricians are fitting now as opposed to a few years ago. Is there such a thing as a low energy light fixture, or is it that you just fit a low energy bulb to the traditional fixture.
    Thanks Ann.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ann we could go on for ages with this one, yes there are low energy light fittings, any type of downlighter with a pl lamp is better than a standard fitting with retro fitted low energy lamps, while these fittings are available the range that would suit a house is not as big as it could be , so for some of the standard light fittings you are limited to fitting low energy lamps, take this into cosideration as some of the low energy lamps are a little longer than conventional lamps and with some fittings this my not be pleasing to the eye.

there is also the LED option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Stoner wrote: »
    there is also the LED option.

Any good led options out there?

yes there are but they are a little bit pricy at the moment, CFL are IMHO the best current low cost option when you take into account their hidden costs and the high cost for decent LEDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Stoner wrote: »
    yes there are but they are a little bit pricy at the moment, CFL are IMHO the best current low cost option when you take into account their hidden costs and the high cost for decent LEDs

Do you know any manufacturers/links for the led option? I need to do a bit of research. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I was wondering if anybody has any idea about which kind of light fixtures we should install in our new build?? Is there a difference in what electricians are fitting now as opposed to a few years ago. Is there such a thing as a low energy light fixture, or is it that you just fit a low energy bulb to the traditional fixture.
    Thanks Ann.

Ann, Just back from the SEI lighting gig in Dundalk
    http://www.sei.ie/index.asp?locID=1659&docID=-1
    shows the timetable for the rest of them: while it has a commercial focus, there is much to learn from a domestic perspective and sei are producing some very useful brochures, particularly the one entitled
    A guide to energy efficient and cost effective lighting.

One of the biggest manufacturers is bringing out a new range of LEDs, if interested send me a pm.

• Advertisement

Loobz wrote: »
    Do you know any manufacturers/links for the led option? I need to do a bit of research. Thanks.

try http://www.loweleds.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Advertisement