Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US House votes against $700bn bailout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Already one of the 'against' voters asked could he change his vote.

Its a mess there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Sure we would have been f*cked either way. Where did the US government think they were gonna get 700 billion dollars all of a sudden?

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We're fuked, their fuked, everybodies fuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Where did the US government think they were gonna get 700 billion dollars all of a sudden?
    The World Bank, I.E. the same shower that will eventually enslave us all with microchips :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Is this the start of the end? TO THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL FORUM!

edit* I wasted post 500 on that? :/

America's f*cked anyway.

Who'll be the next superpower? Russia or China?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Forky wrote: »
    Already one of the 'against' voters asked could he change his vote.

Its a mess there now.

There's reports of people jumping out of windows down at the IFSC, AIB in Walkinstown is on fire, George Lee is burning on a pyre outside RTE, martial law has been declared...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

:Dgreat stuff

any words of a private takeover,i sure hope not.this is a mess indeed i woul have thought it was a done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'm off to the Chuck Norris thread. Everything will be ok over there.:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    There's reports of people jumping out of windows down at the IFSC, AIB in Walkinstown is on fire, George Lee is burning on a pyre outside RTE, martial law has been declared...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Haha.
    But seriously this is possibly the most important single economic decision in our lifetimes. They voted no, and now none of em know what to do. Thought Ireland was bad.

They might do a 'Lisbon' on it. - That wont do, vote again.

Haha.
    But seriously this is possibly the most important single economic decision in our lifetimes. They voted no, and now none of em know what to do.

I'm looking at Sky News here and it's errily like the type of coverage you'd have seen immediately after 9/11 or as the events were unfolding on that day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

What does this mean for us now?? Higher taxes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Seriously though, what's the big deal? The world ebbs and flows and they're all getting what they deserve.

*I'm typing this from my reinforced bunker in my back garden, burning Dollar notes for warmth

damo9090 wrote: »

Basically the floors have fallen out of the banking system, so when you go into a bank now, you'll have to go to the window at the front of the building and do your business with the cashier there, because there will be a big huge gaping hole where the floor used to be in the bank! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Rossibaby wrote: »
    :Dgreat stuff

any words of a private takeover,i sure hope not.this is a mess indeed i woul have thought it was a done deal

Of the US? I don't think even JP Morgan could afford that bad debt situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I vote China. I looove Chinese food.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

damo9090 wrote: »

No, because when you lose your job, you won't have to pay them :D
    Thank fvck I got out. Not that here is going to be any better, but it's not going to be any worse.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I for one welcome our... Holy fook who's gonna be our overlords now that the yanks are fooked??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There's no tall financial buildings here in Swords to jump from. Have to travel into town. Bloody traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

watch the ISEQ tomorrow.

you wont see a financial expert for love nor money. theyre trying to blame either your woman pelosi or the republicans as a whole (result was 205 yeah to 228 nay)

either way wall street was still open and the dow has collapese by 500 points. people shatting themselves from a great height on the news since 7 o clock.

best bit of bloodsport ive seen in ages :)

yes there WILL be a "lisbon" on this and they'll be forced to vote again but not till tomorrow (or at least till wall st shuts for the day) and even then theres no certainty it wont be an even bigger no.

just like lisbon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Yup, that market will rise up a bit until some deal is done, then all will
    be back to something resembling normal. Great time to buy shares*

*nay not be a great time to buy shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    No, because when you lose your job, you won't have to pay them :D
    Thank fvck I got out. Not that here is going to be any better, but it's not going to be any worse.

Working in the Health Service so safe atm :D

The DOW could be doing worse IMO

Only down 591.70 (5.31%)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

America's f*cked anyway.

Why not us? Think big. Now that the US is in economic turmoil, we can buy their aircraft carriers and nuclear subs at a knock-down price and take over the world. Historically, we've only experienced the shitty end of the imperialist stick, so it'll be a good laugh to be the big boys for a change. Glorious times lie ahead for the invincible Irish empire: the nukes will fly like snot in a flu ward and we will paint the globe emerald green and blood red! \o/

/goes for lie down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

The DOW could be doing worse IMO

Only down 591.70 (5.31%)

The DJIA can be misleading as it's price weighted.
    The S&P 500 is more meaningful, down 7%.
    Down 5.31% is actually pretty bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

either way wall street was still open and the dow has collapese by 500 points. people shatting themselves from a great height on the news since 7 o clock.

To put things in context here, that is a drop of 5% approx, in 1987 the fall was nearer 20%.

The US WILL do something, i.e. another plan will be put forward except this time they will make sure it is pushed through.

Stock beginning to tank towards close

-671.51 (6.03%)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Agamemnon wrote: »
    Why not us? Think big. Now that the US is in economic turmoil, we can buy their aircraft carriers and nuclear subs at a knock-down price and take over the world. Historically, we've only experienced the shitty end of the imperialist stick, so it'll be a good laugh to be the big boys for a change. Glorious times lie ahead for the invincible Irish empire: the nukes will fly like snot in a flu ward and we will paint the globe emerald green and blood red! \o/

/goes for lie down

When we get all this military might, can I suggest our first action be to nuke France? :D

Advertisement