Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US House votes against $700bn bailout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

The DOW is dropping like a stone!

Biggest drop in the DOW in history I believe. Its kind of a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Forky wrote: »
    America's f*cked anyway.

Who'll be the next superpower? Russia or China?
    My bet is on Russia, as they're using oil money to get weapons, and their own oil can fuel said weapons. China needs lots of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The DOW is dropping like a stone!

Biggest drop in the DOW in history I believe. Its kind of a lot.

Nope.

And a crash is a fall of 10% or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-712.69 (6.40%)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Was down over 700 briefly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

What they will do (whatever it is) signals the beginning of the end of America as we know it. Great article in Guardian about implications this weekend. America currently borrowing cash from abroad to simply fund day to day running of federal government. They are gonna have to print some serious dollars to get through all this. Expect $4 to the Euro to appear.

Sleeping giants will continue rise (Russia/China) ...

America spent weekend trying to sort this mess out and faild
    China had a spacewalk

Soviet Union collapsed trying to wage war in Afghanistan and frantically borrowed money to support its military might....

Parallel that to the US to day and Iraq etc...

Times they are a changin'
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    To put things in context here, that is a drop of 5% approx, in 1987 the fall was nearer 20%.

The US WILL do something, i.e. another plan will be put forward except this time they will make sure it is pushed through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'd say Osama Bin Laden is cracking open the Dutch Gold in whatever cave he is in right now...

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Nope.

And a crash is a fall of 10% or more.

Percentage wise it isn't.
    Points wise it is though (is it not?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So should i hold off on the cyanide capsule for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Epic Issue

I hope that for the sake of my children that this collapse makes people wake up. We can all be freed of the shackles that are thrust upon us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

damo9090 wrote: »
    Working in the Health Service so safe atm :D

Not seen 1000 Redundancies in the HSE ??

Or read anything lately about proposed budget cuts in the Public Sector?

Let us see where we are in 30 mins or so at close but at moment it looks like it could be biggest one day points drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

What do you mean there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

DarkJager wrote: »
    When we get all this military might, can I suggest our first action be to nuke France? :D
    I fired the first ICBM at Belgium about 20 minutes ago; my minions are loading the one for France as I type. By dawn, continental Europe will look like dried curry stuck to a frying pan. All hail the glorious Irish empire! \o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 poxy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

nouggatti wrote: »

Thank you. Was just thinkg that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

damo9090 wrote: »
    Working in the Health Service so safe atm :D
    You'll be laughing on the other side of your face by the time this is finished. :D

Another surprise from the world financial markets, the Republicans turning against their masters, who'da thunk it. If anyone has any doubts about which politicians are more afraid of, the lobbyists or the voters, you have your answer.

Of course long term it was the best move, what they were doing was effectively printing money to cover private debts, which would have sent inflation through the roof as everyone else's money devalues.

Still, they didn't do it.

And the fun begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

nouggatti wrote: »

Yes have but my job is sound. I think... I hope...

Fcuk better go over to jobs.ie :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

So should i hold off on the cyanide capsule for now?

no, go ahead, better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You'll be laughing on the other side of your face by the time this is finished. :D

Another surprise from the world financial markets, the Republicans turning against their masters, who'da thunk it. If anyone has any doubts about which politicians are more afraid of, the lobbyists or the voters, you have your answer.

Of course long term it was the best move, what they were doing was effectively printing money to cover private debts, which would have sent inflation through the roof as everyone else's money devalues.

And the fun begins.

Your employment in the HSE is as safe as houses, houses are safe, aren't they, AREN'T THEY!?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

DarkJager wrote: »
    When we get all this military might, can I suggest our first action be to nuke France? :D
    Hagar....Watch OUT!

Jaysus. Issac Index and Dow Jones are always falling. What a pack of drunkards.

And the fun begins.

I for one, can't wait. I'd rather be poor and see this go tits up than watch fat cats enjoy their fine dinner at everyones expense.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Agamemnon wrote: »
    I fired the first ICBM at Belgium about 20 minutes ago; my minions are loading the one for France as I type. By dawn, continental Europe will look like dried curry stuck to a frying pan. All hail the glorious Irish empire! \o.

I think you fired an IBM by mistake, it is dangling a few feet out your window, you shoulda unplugged it first, mighta gone a little further. stupid big blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

People had too much money anyway. Look at all the unnecessary ****e in the world; leaf blowers, power washers for cleaning your driveway and all that crapology.

As long as they don't resort to war, we should be ok, individually.

*I don't have a clue about economics or anything like that so the above is based on complete ignorance.

cormie wrote: »
    People had too much money anyway. Look at all the unnecessary ****e in the world; leaf blowers, [/SIZE]
    Where would we be without leaf blowers!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

On a positive note oil has dropped $10 a barrel to $96.89.

Cheaper petrol?? :)

Looks like points wise now it won't be the biggest one day drop and as said we are way off the 87 crash levals.

cormie wrote: »
    People had too much money anyway. Look at all the unnecessary ****e in the world; leaf blowers, power washers for cleaning your driveway and all that crapology.

As long as they don't resort to war, we should be ok, individually.

*I don't have a clue about economics or anything like that so the above is based on complete ignorance.

Power washers were a good thing. Don't be slating them.

War would not be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And the fun begins.

Not being the most knowledageable person about US politics, will this have an impact on the election? Will we see republicans going against McCain?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement