Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US House votes against $700bn bailout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Not being the most knowledageable person about US politics, will this have an impact on the election? Will we see republicans going against McCain?

The plan is for McCain to rescue the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I had MBNA onto me a few hours ago asking me to make a payment, I was having a laugh with the girl on the phone as she was putting through my Laser card transaction, I asked her did she think they might be going t*ts up anytime soon, and give me one less bill to worry about! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

damo9090 wrote: »
    On a positive note oil has dropped $10 a barrel to $96.89.

Cheaper petrol?? :)
    Not at all, that will be all absorbed by the exchequer in the next budget :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Not at all, that will be all absorbed by the exchequer in the next budget :mad:

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Quickly, we need to find someone to blame! Protestants? Gays? Jews? Someone! Quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

The 700 billion dollar knock back is one of the most serious things ever to happen(not to happen) to the world economy. We are heading towards serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

murphym7 wrote: »
    The 700 billion dollar knock back is one of the most serious things ever to happen(not to happen) to the world economy. We are heading towards serious trouble.

They will come up with another bail out plan possibly later this week imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Epic Issue

murphym7 wrote: »

I embrace it.

Quickly, we need to find someone to blame! Protestants? Gays? Jews? Someone! Quickly!

This guy beat ya to it!

http://www.thesignsofthetimes.net/videos/news/2008/20080924financialcrisis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Seemed to have climbed a bit towards the end there...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well tomorrow is a Jewish holiday so unlikely that a deal will be struck tomorrow, Thursday would be the earliest. US banks will struggle before then. They may have to cancel credit card lines for instance. Now that will start a proper panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Darragh29 wrote: »

He is about to k.o i think. Stressed red mush on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Its hardly cigarettes thats to blame??:pac:

slideways wrote: »
    Its hardly cigarettes thats to blame??:pac:

Yip, auld Johnny Blue himself!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can someone explain briefly what, if any, effect this will have on you and I as Irish citizens (people living in Ireland, never mind the fact were Irish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

cormie wrote: »
    Can someone explain briefly what, if any, effect this will have on you and I as Irish citizens (people living in Ireland, never mind the fact were Irish).
    Your Transit defo wont start in the morning*

*this may or may not have anything to do with the topic at hand

It's gonna get to the stage where even Vodafone won't be givin ye credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They'll just have another vote until they get the result they want, Irish style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

They've already lined up the public service to take the rap for the bail-out not being passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Stephen wrote: »
    They'll just have another vote until they get the result they want, Irish style.

The thing is even if it does eventually go through in a watered down fashion, it will not save Irish banks for failing, which one or 2 will do in the coming week i am sure.

The DOW JONES finished -770.59 (6.92%)

• Advertisement

Does this mean they're going to prohibit alcohol again like they did in the last Depression? Where's my Al Capone hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Can we expect the dollar to drop in value tomorrow?...I need to take advantage of this situation in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

do we know how the 2 big kahunas (Obama and McCain) voted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

norbert64 wrote: »
    do we know how the 2 big kahunas (Obama and McCain) voted?
    They were both reluctantly for it yesterday, I assumed they voted for it.

An AH thread 6 pages long an nobody's mentioned YORE MA yet!?!?! Jasus it must be serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Financial crises. Serious Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Can we expect the dollar to drop in value tomorrow?...I need to take advantage of this situation in some way.

No because Europe is just as fuked and Ireland is the most screwed.

It's only due to partisan reporting by our national broadcaster that there isn't more discussion on the dire state of the Irish financials.

Many are seriously in trouble and could fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

No because Europe is just as fuked and Ireland is the most screwed.

It's only due to partisan reporting by our national broadcaster that there isn't more discussion on the dire state of the Irish financials.

Many are seriously in trouble and could fail.

This has nothing to do with the banks, I just want to get my spending money for my holiday.

I preferred the guy who said we were gonna get 4 dollars for a euro. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They were both reluctantly for it yesterday, I assumed they voted for it.

They didn't have a vote. They're both Senators.

The vote was in the House of Representatives.

• Advertisement

Here's what I can't get my head around???

Say an Irish bank goes bust tomorrow and I have a mortage with that bank... Why don't the rules/legislation not just allow for my mortgage to cease there and then. "Sorry lads it didn't work out for yiz, just send me the deeds of my gaff please when yiz get a chance"???

Why are they not allowed to fail??? No other business is treated like this, health insurance companies have to keep reserves and are regulated, travel insurance companies have to be bonded, how come we are in this situation with the banks???

Advertisement