Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US House votes against $700bn bailout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

sure $700Billion is just pocket change:

Any chance of a loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Personally i believe George Lee shouldn't be allowed on tv - for 2 years now he's been talkin negative - why - lets look - if no one hears about it then the ordinary joe goes about his business and doesn't worry about anything - doesn't get scared about his money and start takin money out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

The ISEQ is at summer 1997 levels, the time when Bertie took charge. Maybe we need him back? It couldn't be just coincidence could it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

junkyard wrote: »
    Any chance of a loan?
    sure thing mate
    pm sent
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

The ISEQ is at summer 1997 levels, the time when Bertie took charge. Maybe we need him back? It couldn't be just coincidence could it?

Quick, we need a digout. Come back Bertie! :pac::p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

The Rat left the sinking ship just before it sank.

bug wrote: »
    The Rat left the sinking ship just before it sank.

Plenty of rats still on board trying to plunder what's left.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Rossibaby wrote: »
    :Dgreat stuff

any words of a private takeover,i sure hope not.this is a mess indeed i woul have thought it was a done deal

Not private, but I hear the Chinese Communist Party wouldn't be averse to a hsotile takeover to protect its investments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

That flute did enough damage to qualify as perhaps the first ever Irish leader who could successfully be charged with treason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

junkyard wrote: »
    Plenty of rats still on board trying to plunder what's left.:(

They're all screaming and ready to jump.

That knacker from Drumcondra is a clever little rat. He left before Lisbon, and knew things were taking a turn. "Cute Whore" doesn't describe the man IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

That flute did enough damage to qualify as perhaps the first ever Irish leader who could successfully be charged with treason.

and in addition to his meaty ministers pension, he's getting a nice 68K bonus for thrashing the gaf .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If I had 700,000,000,000 to sort out a problem, I'd just buy another planet where these problems didn't exist! :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If I had 700,000,000,000 to sort out a problem, I'd just buy another planet where these problems didn't exist! :cool::cool::cool:

If i had it i'd stay here and be a rich bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maybe the Nigerians with all those dormant bank accounts could help out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

All the talk is of America and the $700 billion.

Ireland is after having a very crappy day itself. The ISEQ recording its biggest drop in over 25 years. 13%!!
    Anglo Irish Bank dropped 45%! Irish Life and Permanent dropped 34%!
    Our government introduced our deposit insurance scheme to €100,000 from €20,000 to avoid a run on the banks. This is the highest in Europe! It had to be done for a reason. But is the solution as simple as that?

This isn't going to go away anytime soon. What the f*ck is going to happen tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Forky wrote: »
    It had to be done for a reason. But is the solution as simple as that?
    Its not a solution, its nonsense. If there is a run on Irish banks there is no way the government can guarantee that much money, not a notion. If it happens they will just throw up their hands and let it go the way of the national infrastructure, more broken promises.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Maybe the Nigerians with all those dormant bank accounts could help out here.

Plenty of them around my neck of the woods, I'll ask them if you like?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Its not a solution, its nonsense. If there is a run on Irish banks there is no way the government can guarantee that much money, not a notion. If it happens they will just throw up their hands and let it go the way of the national infrastructure, more broken promises.
    Of course its nonsense. It was a problem brushed under the mat.
    Digging the hole deeper. Possibly what America are doing with their 'bail-out' plan.
    Anyways, tomorrow should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Overheal, that Dragonball Z clip was genius. Cleared up all my recession woes, and I thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Can someone tell me - in plain simple english whats the worse thing that can happen - or the most likely for the ordinary joe in ireland in say the next year or 2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me - in plain simple english whats the worse thing that can happen - or the most likely for the ordinary joe in ireland in say the next year or 2
    Don't worry the LHC wll destroy the planet before anythinig major happens.

thank god for the large hardon collider
    no more recession but we'll all go back to floppies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Worst case? Deep global depression (years, perhaps a decade or even longer!). Here in Ireland, - large long term unemployment, cut in welfare (as there's less taxes to pay for them), huge rise in homelessness as people can't afford rent/mortgages and not enough council houses (or money to pay for more) for everyone. Nowhere to emigrate to as this is a global problem (perhaps if you speak russian/chinese, as the only 2 large economies that won't suffer too badly, and have contacts there - you might have a chance!).

But that's the worse case scenario. The best case is maybe another year or 2 of recession, job losses, tax hikes, wage cuts etc before turning around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dotsman wrote: »
    , tax hikes,

Unlikely imo. Certainly direct ones and not the solution.

well nearly half of everyone i know is f*cked anyway and cant afford to pay for their loans so cant see it getting any worse than public executions for not paying up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

The country could go belly up, mass unemployment, sky high interest rates, political unrest, wars in parts of the world and this time we wont have the UK or the States to emigrate to, they'll have it just as bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Worst case? Deep global depression (years, perhaps a decade or even longer!). Here in Ireland, - large long term unemployment, cut in welfare (as there's less taxes to pay for them), huge rise in homelessness as people can't afford rent/mortgages and not enough council houses (or money to pay for more) for everyone. Nowhere to emigrate to as this is a global problem (perhaps if you speak russian/chinese, as the only 2 large economies that won't suffer too badly, and have contacts there - you might have a chance!).

But that's the worse case scenario. The best case is maybe another year or 2 of recession, job losses, tax hikes, wage cuts etc before turning around.

Oooh, can't wait. That sums it all up for me. Actually to be honest, I haven't a feckin' clue whats going on. Excuse my ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

well nearly half of everyone i know is f*cked anyway and cant afford to pay for their loans so cant see it getting any worse than public executions for not paying up.

You'll have to change your username then, cos there wont be a party at your gaff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Unlikely imo. Certainly direct ones and not the solution.

Do you trust this/any government to always make the right decision?

To be honest, I am placing any bets as to how this government will deal with the crisis. Although I know it is going to be very bad news, I'm still (out of curiosity) actually can't wait for the next budget:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Do you trust this/any government to always make the right decision?

To be honest, I am placing any bets as to how this government will deal with the crisis. Although I know it is going to be very bad news, I'm still (out of curiosity) actually can't wait for the next budget:eek:

In this case all the suggestions and govt talk certainly does not point to a rise, a rise certainly would be the wrong move for our economy.

Advertisement