Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Forum - whats the point?

Options
  • 29-09-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I know it says that you must not ask legal advice, and so I was careful in how I worded my question.

I have been summonsed to go to court for not having a TV licence.

I asked, had anyone had any experience of this and did they reckon it was necessary to attend.

The Mod locked the thread and said to hire a Solicitor, and not to ask for legal advice.

I was asking for others experiences.

I dont see the point of this forum, when legal matters and others experiences can't be discussed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You were fairly direct that you were looking for legal advise on whether to attend or not. You were not looking to discuss it, more seek advise on what to do - which isnt allowed.

I find the forum great to discuss a range of legal topics that I find interesting.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The forum is for discussing legal issues. It's for people interested in the law to talk about developments in different areas and it incorporates many different aspects. The most popular thread appears to be the FE1 Exam Thread. The forum has almost 21,000 posts and 2,404 threads. Currently, there are 22 people (myself included) viewing the forum. The forum has had many threads along the lines of the advice you sought and each of them has been locked. There have been threads like this one, complaining about the use of the forum in the past also. However, it is my view that the forum serves its purpose quite well and the threads that are posted there are insightful and often quite interesting. It is not a Free Legal Advice Centre and it is not a place where qualified lawyers dictate the law to others.

On the forum, everyone is considered an equal in their knowledge and their individual qualifications are not generally discussed, nor should they be. Users are free to post anything they like within the realms of the charter. That gives quite a lot of scope to people who want to post there. You posted outside the charter and your thread was rightly locked.

That, quite simply, is the point of the Legal Discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Epic Issue

The forum is for discussing legal issues. It's for people interested in the law to talk about developments in different areas and it incorporates many different aspects. The most popular thread appears to be the FE1 Exam Thread. The forum has almost 21,000 posts and 2,404 threads. Currently, there are 22 people (myself included) viewing the forum. The forum has had many threads along the lines of the advice you sought and each of them has been locked. There have been threads like this one, complaining about the use of the forum in the past also. However, it is my view that the forum serves its purpose quite well and the threads that are posted there are insightful and often quite interesting. It is not a Free Legal Advice Centre and it is not a place where qualified lawyers dictate the law to others.

On the forum, everyone is considered an equal in their knowledge and their individual qualifications are not generally discussed, nor should they be. Users are free to post anything they like within the realms of the charter. That gives quite a lot of scope to people who want to post there. You posted outside the charter and your thread was rightly locked.

That was not simply. That was complicated.

You didn't have time to write a short response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

It probably would have been ok if you had left it as a request for peoples stories. Asking for advice on whether or not you should show up in court was a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Well, I rang the Clerk of Court and he said to turn up anyway, but was just wondering did anyone do it before.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I knew it, proof that Hulla is really Bruce Wayne, viewing legal forum while posting over here as Batman at same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Lillyella wrote: »
    Well, I rang the Clerk of Court and he said to turn up anyway, but was just wondering did anyone do it before.
    Hi, I am currently in jail because I read on teh internetz that I couldn't be arrested for speeding because the guard wasn't wearing his hat and it was hat Wednesday (apparently they're soooo strict on Wednesdays) but I think you'll be OK because TV license summonses must be served only by blonde bimbos impersonating inspectors (on a Monday) and they must offer you cheese and grapes before they ask you about the telly....*

*may be inaccurate.

Cop on dude and stop asking for legal advise on the internet.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Steve: You know thats not actually an urban myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

You might not realise it, but it's you not paying your TV license that has sent this country into recession.
    It's easier to subscribe to Boards though, for a third of the price, you get much more accurate information and sexier mods.

pfft... Laura Woods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sully wrote: »
    Steve: You know thats not actually an urban myth?
    Which? the cheese and grapes? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement