Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation on Windows

• 29-09-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help me out on this one...

My parents got new windows in two weeks ago called vistatherm... Every morning the windows are covered in condensation and its really annoying them as the fitter never said this would happen...he now says that this happens to this brand of windows and theres nothing he can do about it.

Cant find any info on web about it so just wondering if anyone has had any problems or any hints about maintenance of this...
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

is the condensation in between the paynes or on the inside. does the room where the window is have a vent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Just a guess, has the internal reveals of the windows been replastered after fitting, this would account for a lot of extra moisture in the room for a week or so, if its between the panes then its a sealing fault where panes were bonded together. Could turn nasty if fitter said one thing and is now saying another. All the same a faulty product is a faulty product so it still need to be fixed. Check around the frame of the window inside and see if there is any obvious draughts coming thru. as northdublin said is there a vent in the room ?

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

As the lads suggested above, it is either a faulty sealed unit or is just the result of new plasterwork drying out. When we moved into our house after it was finally finished, the windows would be running with water in the mornings despite the fact that it was summer (well what passes for summer in this country). However, after a couple of months, the problem mostly cleared up as they house was finally drying out but there were still two windows that were covered in moisture in the mornings while the rest were clear. This was due to faulty sealed units that allowed the cold air outside to reach the inner pane of glass and thus condensation occured when the warm air in the house touched the cold glass. I got these two faulty units replaced and no more problems since.

So if there was plasterwork done, it could be this drying out that causing the moisture on the windows. If not, then you have faulty windows that are pretty much useless at keeping heat in and cold out so I'd get them replaced as they are not doing the job that they are designed for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads having a similar problem except we have been in our house 7yrs or so. IF the blinds are down and curtains closed there is condensation on the inside of the window on cold mornings. Is this happening because the blinds are doing their job and keeping the cold air traped between them and the glass or is there another reason

Thanks

Hi Cubix,

The blind is doing the job as you suggested, but getting back to the point if the room is properly vented the excess moisture would not be there in the morning. Is there siutable ventilation for the room to an external wall ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers Builditwell, will have to check if the other half has blocked up the vents as she is always complaining of drafts.IF there is excess moisture in the room would this penetrate through the the blind and hit the cold window which then turns into moisture on the glass?

Thanks

Hi Cubix

When i say excessive i mean where there is no escape from the room so if you and the mrs for eg: close bedroom door and have no vent in room then naturally yes there will be condensation as the air has nowhere else to go and it is the coldest surface in the room. It doesnt meant the window is not doing its job. If the room is vented it will improve quite a bit.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Hi, I'm having a similar problem to Cubix, however I very recently closed the air vent in the room (about 4 days ago ) and the condensation has improved before the whole pain would be covered now not even a quarter, Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 haven

I am also having a problem with condensation on windows mainly on the front bedroom windows. However the problem has only occured since this time last year when we had a solid fuel burner installed in our fireplace or a least that's what I am linking it to. All vents in rooms are open. The condensation only occurs on cold nights. I am thinking that since we have effectly blocked the chimney with the flue from the burner there is now not a draught in the house (a bungalow). Has anyone else had a similar problem/solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭wexpat girl

another victim! i too have same prob with front bedroom window even with an open vent in room so what next? i also have ill fitting bedroom door with big gap underneath. was actually planning to fit a draught excluder at bottom of door but given apparent lack of adequate ventilation already, is this a bad idea, or would that make any difference??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 haven

I wouldn't put a draught excluder on the bottom of the door. We are thinking of putting in an extra vent in each room next year. This morning we had very little condensation on the windows as it wasn't as cold. You could try moisture traps but I have tried these and they have no effect. After extremely cold nights like we have had this week the whole window is covered. I sometimes leave the top small window slightly open but there is still some condensation. I have also noticed some damp in the bottom corner of the room. It's all a real pain but I'm not sure I can do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Just seeing this thread now as I am having similar problems.

new build with windows in since January 2012, it was plastered inside in June 2012 and eta for moving in is Nov 2012.

The condensation literally drips off all windows, front, back, upstairs, downstairs.

Should I go back to the supplier? The house looks to be fairly well dried out by now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dunedin wrote: »
    Just seeing this thread now as I am having similar problems.

new build with windows in since January 2012, it was plastered inside in June 2012 and eta for moving in is Nov 2012.

The condensation literally drips off all windows, front, back, upstairs, downstairs.

Should I go back to the supplier? The house looks to be fairly well dried out by now.
    MVHR? or wall vents? what was the stated overall U-value of the windows?

buy a RH sensor to start with - 30quid on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Dunedin

BryanF wrote: »
    MVHR? or wall vents? what was the stated overall U-value of the windows?

buy a RH sensor to start with - 30quid on the net

Overall U value is 1.2.

sorry but don't know what MVHR is??? Vents are in the windows are all open.

what is an RH sensor??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Relative humidity sensor

condensation is generally an imbalance: of heat to ventilation to insulation.

if you start with an RH sensor you can check what the humidity levels are, roughly where they are originating from, and then try things to reduce the RH level.

1.2wm2k overall is a pretty good window, presuming this is accurate. Id be looking elsewhere for the source of moisture, and would lean towards the house is drying out still, or a leak somewhere, or simply inadequate ventilation when you shower, dry clothes, cook etc.

MVHR is mechanical heat recovery ventilation, I'm surprised in a new house with modern levels of insulation that this was not considered - reducing heat loss and avoiding such condensation issues.

Advertisement