Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums that give you Goosebumps

Options
  • 29-09-2008 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I’m having a bit of a Goosebumpy day, and i was wondering which albums give you the most Goosebumps and possibly why.

My personal one is Mr Hudson and the library - A Tale Of Two Cities Mainly because it was the theme song for the time of my life that I had in Australia. It just brings back everything I done and the backpacking romances. Plus the fact that we only had a limited amount of music and heaps of open roads meant that I heard the Album more than a Few Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Brand New- The Devil and god are raging inside of me

i didnt go to australia , or have an amazing romance to this album, but to this day after countless plays i still get the auld 'goosebumps' to this album, listen to it, they aren't appreciated enough over here !!
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Goosebumps only work once for me really, thats on the first listen when the music so much better than you had hoped/anticipated.

Two that did it - Nearly Human by Todd Rundgren and Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus by Spirit

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter by The Incredible String Band - it gave me goosebumps and blew my mind

Heres Witches Hat an example of the spine tinglydingly treats within

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow by Funkadelic.

Legend has it the whole band were on acid during the recording of the album. That might give you an idea of what's going on in the album.

These two might give an idea of what the album's like:
    "I Wanna Know If It's Good To You"

"Funky Dollar Bill"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

I get the goosebumps when listening to The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars because of my personal memories that are immortalised in the album. It's like the character of Rob Gordon in High Fidelity said about "experiencing music autobiographically" Every album in my collection holds specific memories. I could get the goosebumps from any album in my collection but here I'll choose one for the purpose of this post and that's the aforementioned Bowie one.
    The album opens with a typical Bowie theme, that is that of the apocalypse, the final confrontation. The speaker has just heard on the news that we only have five years left to "cry in" Then just follow the speaker on a stroll through the "market square" where he sees
    "...all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
    And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
    I never thought I'd need so many people"
    "I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour... don't think you knew you were in this song" "And it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor" - I love this line. That really gives me the shivers because did you ever feel your life was like a film (yes Jarvis, I agree, "My life has become... a movie made for TV") and sometimes certain weather can feel filmic.
    We go through many highs and lows (in terms of mood) on the album and finally reach the ultimate shivers down the spine tune that is Rock N Roll Suicide. Bowie in his best Mockney "Oh no love, you're not alone... No matter what or who you've been, No matter when or where you've seen... Gimme your hands 'cos you're wonderful"
    I remember reading Bowie saying Rock N Roll Suicide was based on a plagiarised line from Baudelaire which centered on the idea of life being like a cigarette. Do you want to savour the taste or smoke it quickly?
    Chrissie Hynde wrote a beautiful "review" for this song in the NME in the 70s. Ending with the reassurance gained from the thought that the speaker also understands the depths of misery.

Actually Hunky Dory, Diamond Dogs and Low all give me the goosebumps too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Death Magnetic by Metallica... for the reason that it's making me like Metallica after their Sell-Out era.

Also Matter Of Life And Death by Iron Maiden. Different World showed me, after almost 3 decades, Maiden still got it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

OK Computer/In Rainbows
    Tom Waits - Alice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Guns and roses - use your illusion 1 + 2 ;)

Nearly every AC/DC album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Damien Rice - O

the first that springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

JeanH wrote: »
    Actually Hunky Dory, Diamond Dogs and Low all give me the goosebumps too.

god i hate Hunky Dorey. I say this as a Bowie fan; i'm not a troll. I got it, and apart from Changes and Life on Mars, i could take or leave the rest of it.

Your analysis of Ziggy is, however, IMHO on the money and there are few better album openers than 5 years. The fact that it's so subdued makes it all the more special.

I saw the Polyphonic Spree perform in Brixton in 2003 and that was the song they closed the set with. dragged out to the guts of 15 minutes (or it seemed like it) and it was just euphoric. I'm sure it wasn't written as that, but hey, innit the mark of a good song that you can do that with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

i didnt go to australia , or have an amazing romance to this album, but to this day after countless plays i still get the auld 'goosebumps' to this album, listen to it, they aren't appreciated enough over here !!

+1 just listened to jesus when i saw your post after not hearing it for ages
    and yup still got goose bumps from it ah the memories this album brings back dont know if i should laugh or cry or both.

And mix tape off their previous album strikes a chord with me also

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer - pinkerton

12 years on and it still gives me the goosebumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

calex71 wrote: »
    +1 just listened to jesus when i saw your post after not hearing it for ages
    and yup still got goose bumps from it ah the memories this album brings back dont know if i should laugh or cry or both.

More of 'Deju Entendu' man myself.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 G-izzles

Nailz wrote: »
    Death Magnetic by Metallica... for the reason that it's making me like Metallica after their Sell-Out era.

Also Matter Of Life And Death by Iron Maiden. Different World showed me, after almost 3 decades, Maiden still got it...

Oh man, I still remember lashin A Matter Of Life And Death into the CD player the day I got and hearing 'DOOOOON'T WAAAAANT TO BEEEE HEEEERE!!!'

Gave me the old bumps and nipple erections!

But seriously, Lateralus by TOOL gave me more than goosebumps. More of an outer body experience, I felt like I was floating just above my own body and I've never had any other experience so potent in my life before or since. It was breath-taking. I'll never forget it.

Disk 2 of Pulse, the live album by Pink Floyd..... comfortably numb.....wow.

Tools lateralus album blew me away.

Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightening

Advertisement