Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanity check on SDRAM for old PIII motherboards

Options
  • 29-09-2008 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit embarrassed to be putting this thread in "Upgrading", but anyway... :). I just need a sanity check on the type of RAM that was generally used in PIII-type motherboards. The PC is an old HP Vectra, with a FSB of 133MHz and which takes a max of 512MB SDRAM. Does this look right?

I'm trying to track down some for a friend, and as the SDRAM looks more expensive than what the PC is worth, I just want to be sure before shelling out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yup thats the stuff. Hold on untill tomorrow as i have a box full of old ram in work. Ill see if i have any that matches this and you can gladly have it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Great gesture, Manties, much appreciated. Just one thing, ideally I need a 512MB stick, as the PC has XP installed (running with 128MB RAM :eek:, my friend was wondering why the PC was so slow!). I recommended that she just ditch the PC and get a new one, but the extra RAM is just a stop-gap solution for now.

Another general question- what's the minimum processor that you should be using XP with? I was surprised that a PIII would even have XP installed. Will the extra RAM make much difference at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

i threw out a 256mb stick only recently sorry lol....was from old house comp....which i found one gig for on ebay, thou i think it was like 50 dollars, bit much...2nd hand and all...but was all i could find

everytime my sister asked me to look at something, i couldnt stand waitin 5mins to something to load lmao, not much better on 1gig either, max it takes is 1

check out ebay if you dont get anything from manties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Managed to find a 128 and 256 stick here. No idea if they work at all, as i dont have anythign that old lying about to check them in. But you are more then welcome to them.

The minimum specs for xp are:

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Manties wrote: »
    Managed to find a 128 and 256 stick here. No idea if they work at all, as i dont have anythign that old lying about to check them in. But you are more then welcome to them.

The minimum specs for xp are:

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

I actually took your lead and found a 256MB stick in one of the old PCs here in work, so I'll give that a try and see if it helps much with the speed. Like I say, it's only a short-term solution anyway. Thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement