Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The right coolant to use

Options
  • 29-09-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

hello, do you know if the right coolant to use on a renault magane 2004 is "Renault Type D" The bucko in the car shop gave me G12. I checked the 'inter-web' and a few threads on boards and G12 is mainly recommended for VW. The manual is useless, says check with the main dealer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ArraMusha wrote: »
    The manual is useless, says check with the main dealer.

Ring a main dealer - the manual is not as useless as you might think........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The G12 is probably at least as good as the Type D and they probably have similar chemical makeup. However I wouldn't mix them and would always use the Elf Type D recommended coolant. The main dealer will say the same. If you are close to GSF car parts in clondalkin, they stock the correct coolant for Renaults and charge similar price to a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

crosstownk wrote: »

If the Renault manual was any good it would state the coolant to use.........

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

crosstownk wrote: »

ArraMusha wrote: »

If Renault change the coolant specification then the manual would be wrong at some point hence the prompt to contact the dealer for the most up-to-date information. I know it's not the ideal scenario but it does work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Asked before but didnt get a reply but does it matter a whole pile what kind of coolant you use?

Only ask because I have a 5 gallon drum of John Deere Premium coolant at home in the shed from a previous job!

It does matter as the type of coolant you use depends on the metals used in the manufacture of the engine.

Advertisement