Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to avoid Limerick city traffic

• 29-09-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi, i live in ennis and work in castletroy, does anyone know a shortcut or an alternative route that will allow me to avoid some of Limerick's traffic...thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Nope, there's no way to beat it I'm afraid. Taking the Ennis Road into the city (after 8am, after 4/5pm) will jam you straight into traffic which is always at a standstill during rush hour.

Your best bet is the Condell Road. Since they changed the road layout of the dock road, it seems to have improved the traffic a bit. It may also be a bit faster to get to the dublin road, but again, the area around Arthurs Quay will be pretty heavy going during the rush hour periods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Go through Meelick, Past LIT, Thomond Park, King Johns Castle, left at the roundabout on that road and out the Dublin Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

you could go cross country get of the dual carriage way for limerick city at the Sixmilebridge junction head down to Sixmilebridge when at the village go straight through the crossroad heading towards Clonlara. Basically head toward clonlara when you come across the canal take a left head up to o'briensbridge . You should come acorss a crossroad take a right to go to Obriensbride go over the canal go through o'briensbridge and keep right after the bridge heading towards the N7 you should end up in O'Dalys Cross and then head to Limerick that way. I used to go to UL and found that way best, however the roads are narrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You could go via Birdhill, out the Tulla Road, the Mills etc. etc., ~50 minutes or a journey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Melion wrote: »
    Go through Meelick, Past LIT, Thomond Park, King Johns Castle, left at the roundabout on that road and out the Dublin Rd.

My brother used to drive that route when he went to UL and traffic is always a shambles from the LIT roundabout onwards. I go by the Condell Road myself. It's very busy from half 7 to about half 9 but at least there's a steady flow. People who went the other route said they didn't get out of first gear for about 15 minutes at times the road was so clogged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

meelick-> in by watch house cross-> head out to parteen-> cut back in by westbury/corbally-->left at grove island or cut through corbally by driscolls and come out by rhebogue..... then its a case of weaving through rhebogue and coming out past the parkway roundabout by that lidl/aldi shop ( i can't remember which one it is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's just going to be crap till that tunnels finished. You can make small time savings in places but you're going to end up jammed somewhere. Leaving really early is the key. Before 8 O'clock the traffic around town isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

golden wrote: »
    you could go cross country get of the dual carriage way for limerick city at the Sixmilebridge junction head down to Sixmilebridge when at the village go straight through the crossroad heading towards Clonlara. Basically head toward clonlara when you come across the canal take a left head up to o'briensbridge . You should come acorss a crossroad take a right to go to Obriensbride go over the canal go through o'briensbridge and keep right after the bridge heading towards the N7 you should end up in O'Dalys Cross and then head to Limerick that way. I used to go to UL and found that way best, however the roads are narrow.

This is actually the quickest way at busy times during the day.

Avoid Limerick completely between the hours of 8am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm Monday to Friday, it's not worth the time.

If you are unfamiliar with the route give it a try on a Sunday if you have time. It'll be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

golden wrote: »

have you tried turning right at daly's cross lately ?

before daly's X turn right for castleconnell hit for lisnagry , turn right up mountshannon road into annycotty back up on n7 .. moving with flow of traffic all the time

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    You could go via Birdhill, out the Tulla Road, the Mills etc. etc., ~50 minutes or a journey
    depending of what part of ennis

tulla - bridgetown - obriens bridge & follow as posted above ^

birdhill is out of your way . hit for casleconnell , should be quicker than going limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

you could head through Parteen and go out the Killaloe Road to O Briens Bridge and head into Castleconnell.Dalys Cross is quiet busy then

B1977 wrote: »
    you could head through Parteen and go out the Killaloe Road to O Briens Bridge and head into Castleconnell.Dalys Cross is quiet busy then

you go via daly's x & i go via cc as posted above & i ll be there before you , well before you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

It's just going to be crap till that tunnels finished. You can make small time savings in places but you're going to end up jammed somewhere. Leaving really early is the key. Before 8 O'clock the traffic around town isn't bad at all.
    Ya lets hope the Limerick tunnel will be as good as we hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 leesah

I know its going to seem like an eternity, but the Limerick tunnel will solve the Limerick problem completely. You will acess just north of the 2 mile Innoff the motorway OR at the Clonmacken roundabout & it has 11 bridges, & 3 underpasses and will connect to the south ringroad to Cork,cutting the journey by an estimated 45 minutes, bypassing the Dock road completely.Scheduled to open July 2010.
    good luck in the meantime!

Leesah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Sure, the tunnel will help, but how much a day is this going to cost in tolls?
    And if less people use it, sure they'll charge more, so the ones who do use it, pay for those who don't.
    But even if you don't use it, it can only improve matters.
    However, a toll will only have one effect: Keep as many people off the bypass as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I know what you mean about the tolls Jochenstacker, but afaik they don't calculate the cost of the toll on the amount of people using it but rather compared to the alternative cost of not using it, i.e. that if you were to spend 10 minutes driving around the old way that it would use 1 litre of petrol which costs 1 euro, so add a markup to that, say 20% to allow for flucuations to the price of petrol, and that's the cost of your toll.

Also, whereas a lot of people may not use the toll because of the cost of it, most lorry drivers will use it which will reduce the volume of traffic on the road

To answer your question Jochnenstacker,

The toll for the Limerick Tunnel will be 2 euro. I think most peope will view that as a pittance rather than sit in queue on the Condell and or Dock road. I cite the toll plaza on the M50 in Dublin... its certainly not curbed any usage of that motorway, and last time I went through there the rate was 1.90 per car (more for vans, trucks and lorries). In general for Ireland, driver's arent patient & don't like queues at any cost...

And Clareman...
    EXCELLENT point... they folks that dont' want to pay the minimal toll can leave an extra hour or so, spend the money for gas, and destroy their suspensions on the back roads ;-)
    Leesah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Why don't UL provide a carpark for people on the Clare side? A car park is not going to create a rat run through the campus.

Such a facility would also be of use to people who work in the Castletroy area who could walk out to Milford across the living bridge. Govt should help out. How much can a carpark cost?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

leesah wrote: »
    To answer your question Jochnenstacker,

The toll for the Limerick Tunnel will be 2 euro. I think most peope will view that as a pittance rather than sit in queue on the Condell and or Dock road. I cite the toll plaza on the M50 in Dublin... its certainly not curbed any usage of that motorway, and last time I went through there the rate was 1.90 per car (more for vans, trucks and lorries). In general for Ireland, driver's arent patient & don't like queues at any cost...

And Clareman...
    EXCELLENT point... they folks that dont' want to pay the minimal toll can leave an extra hour or so, spend the money for gas, and destroy their suspensions on the back roads ;-)
    Leesah

Well, let's look at this pittance; €2 each way is €4 a day. subtracting 4 weeks holidays you might be using the tollroad 48 weeks a year, 5 days a week (average work usage) 48*5=240 days a year using the tollroad twice a day. 240 days multiplied by €4 a day=€960 a year. It's great for the sort of people who can regard almost a thousand Euro as a pittance, but with the running cost of the average car being what it is plus a grand on top? And if you drive a van? Anything but a pittance to me I'm afraid. This points to the exact reason why Ireland has become the most expensive country in Europe. With the boom came money. With the money, sense left. People stormed into shops and said I'll have that one and that one and that one, how much is that...never mind actually, I'll also have that one and that one and that one...; It's called Lotto syndrome. Leading to the government and retailers realizing that the people of Ireland will unquestioningly pay anything for anything. Hence Rip Off Ireland.

To Jochenstacker,
    The tunnel is a PPP Scheme. you may or may not understand what that is, but basically money is put up by both the govt., and the private partners building it. The toll is put in place to re-pay the private money put up for the construction. In Scotland, When the Erskine bridge toll had re-payed the private investors, the toll was removed.
    I do wholeheartedly agree about the lotto syndrome here. the Irish have become acustomed to paying outrageous prices without question.And yes Ireland is the most expensive country in the EU, but it is also the 2nd richest, behind Luxembourg.
    Even with the current economic situation the gouging is incredible. We paid the higher fuel prices a full 3 months after crude prices came down, where the UK got relief almost instantly, both for car and home fuel.
    WHERE DID THIS MONEY GO?
    Food prices should have come down as well becuase of lower transport prices, but havent, again, WHERE IS THIS MONEY GOING?
    Just now are people starting to outcry, as the Euro and the pound paralleling, they went Christmas shopping in the North.. .to find that the same items, in the same store chains are 30% lower up there.. again
    WHERE IS THIS MONEY GOING?
    in the UK a TV liscence fee is charged, but in turn the BBC broadcasts without advertisements. Here, you pay the liscense fee AND get hammered with commercials so they get the additional revenue from both sides of the fence there. again.
    WHERE IS THIS MONEY GOING?
    I'd say its a topheavy extremely corrupt government, that does NOT return services to the public for taxation, and has absolutely NO accountability. I don't forsee the toll plazas ever being removed, and once the private partners have been repaid seriously doubt the toll plazas will be removed. And again.. this money will miracuously dissapear.. but to WHERE?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

leesah wrote: »
    To Jochenstacker,

.And yes Ireland is the most expensive country in the EU, but it is also the 2nd richest, behind Luxembourg.

the second richest when in the bubble . that was nearly all property money.
    we are no where near teh 2nd richest. and technically we never where.
    everyone believed they had their very own L'Oreal advert.

Advertisement