Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still at least one sound bloke in the game

• 29-09-2008 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YARWWQfSvic

Sporting Brienza wins plaudits Monday 29 September, 2008

Reggina forward Franco Brienza has received widespread praise for a remarkable sporting gesture during yesterday's game against Palermo.

The talented 29-year-old was playing against his former side and came out on the losing side.

But Brienza turned down a chance to change the game when he showed commendable sportsmanship.

A collision between Moris Carrozzieri and Bernardo Corradi left both men on the floor and the ball broke to Brienza, who was clear on goal, but he stopped instead of finding the net.

“I was lucky enough to be in charge of a game where there was a marvellous gesture,” referee Stefano Farina said.

“It was an action that should be praised and publicised but instead it only got a tiny mention on TV.”

“A goal wouldn't change my life or even my career,” Brienza explained. “I would rather stay true to myself.“

Brienza's actions have also met with acclaim from Palermo boss Davide Ballardini and Reggina chief Lillo Foti.

“Brienza didn't surprise me,” Foti insisted. “He's a great professional who abides my the rules. Football needs more people like Franco.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I was reading today that Kevin Davis said that Ronaldo said he didn't want/wasn't looking for a penalty during the Bolton game.

Do you think Ronaldo should have just passed the ball to the keeper as a gesture of goodwill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's great hearing stories like that. Reminds me of the Paulo Di Canio one a few years back, along the same lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was reading today that Kevin Davis said that Ronaldo said he didn't want/wasn't looking for a penalty during the Bolton game.

Do you think Ronaldo should have just passed the ball to the keeper as a gesture of goodwill?

He wasn't exactly copying Robbie Fowler in trying to let the ref know was he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

IMHO, he should of put the ball in the back of the net.

That's a completely different situation to what Di Canio did a good few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SantryRed wrote: »
    IMHO, he should of put the ball in the back of the net.

+1.

Here's hoping the result doesn't affect either clubs season in any way (or another clubs perhaps?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Id be raging at him if i were a teammate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I think that was really unnecessary and I too would be raging at him if i was a teammate. The 2 players colliding didnt cause the ball to put him through, a fair header was won that set him through quickly followed by a collision.

Whereas with Di Canio, the keeper had a simple clearence to make and his injury was the only thing that stopped him. imo Di Canio was right and Brienza was wrong

Advertisement