Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Delay

Options
  • 29-09-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was just wondering if a person is entitled to compensation from the delay of express post items. On there site they guarentee next working day deliver. Now they also say no compensation will be given for the delay of an item. Doesnt this mean that they are breaking there guarentee and that you are entitled to some form of compensation ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think you are entitled to a refund of the postage fee, but not any loss that may arise due to any delay in the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Oh thats grand....I thought they also meant no refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd say that if you can prove you suffered a monetary loss due to their breach of contract (ie not delivering as per agreement) then you could well be entitled to compensation. Otherwise getting your money back would be the best I would expect

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

daheff wrote: »
    I'd say that if you can prove you suffered a monetary loss due to their breach of contract (ie not delivering as per agreement) then you could well be entitled to compensation. Otherwise getting your money back would be the best I would expect

I highly doubt this, if this was the case An Post would be gone under with all the cases against it over the years that want compensation for loss of earnings, business etc from every muppet around.

Best you can hope for is postage costs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

You can get a refund of postal costs if it's sent by express, express with signature or ems (may be called something else now). All are guaranteed next day. However dont let them talk down to you. On one occasion when I rang customer service I was told the boss had made policy about not giving refunds anymore and there was no point in trying to argue with them about it. I stood my ground, and got my refund eventually. Another time when I rang, the refund was forthcoming straight away. Dealing with their EMS courier branches was much easier. That was a while back, and I don't know what their official policy is but you shouldn't have too much trouble. You usually get a cheque 5 to 10 days after you make the claim. The only way you can claim beyond postage costs is if you send by registered post with insurance and the item goes missing. Of course registered post is not guaranteed next day delivery. But if the item is not delivered and can't be found after a certain no. of days (not sure how many exactly) then you can start a claim on the insurance. A small item (say CD sized) worth say 400 euro in value would typically cost approx 9-11 euro to send by registered parcel post with insurance to that value, as opposed to 5-6 euro without any insurance. So you can see where the markup is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Swiftpost (formerly ems) is the only guaranteed next day delivery.
    My sister sent me a registered package from Cork to Dublin a few months back and it took
    a full seven days to deliver.
    She paid 12 euro for Registered signed delivery and when she rang up Anpost they told her that only swiftpost was guaranteed next day delivery and she had no recourse for any refund with the delay in delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

well who she spoke to is incorrect about swift post anyway. an post no longer offer swift post for parcels. its been changed/renamed to express mail and express mail with signature (a new option recently introduced), both are next day. of course some staff refer incorrectly to it as swift. sorry for being pedantic..lol. neither express or express plus sig offer insurance, only registered which has sig also but no next day delivery guarantee as you correctly point out. but you do have redress with registered if you bought insurance and item doesnt show after 30 days but 95% are delivered within 2 working days. i send parcels bimonthly so they gave me my own label book...lol.

Advertisement