Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How EXACTLY do I upload from iWeb to the internet?

Options
  • 29-09-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Does anyone know EXACTLY how I go about uploading a site I've got ready on the iWeb programme on my MacBook to the internet.

I'm talking basics here.

I'm an engineer not a techie so if anyone can explain it step by step that's exactly what I want.

I need to upload it to either a .ie or .com location so the .mac option won't work for me.

I do know I need to do something along the lines of send it to a folder, use an FTP programme to move it somewhere, etc.

But I have absolutely no idea what most of this means or how to do it.

I've done the search but there's nothing I could find that's "basic" enough for me.

Oh, and before someone suggests that I get a pro to do it ..... don't bother.

I want to figure out how to do this for myself for once and for all.

Thanks in advance.

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭corkie

Click this link and read down near the end of the page, you will find another link to a selection of ftp programs for the mac.

Another link with an automated script:
    There are many disappointments. It seems users are under the misconception that it's the DreamWeaver killer. It's not. It's actually not even designed to generate commercial sites. And to take full advantage of its features, like password protected sites and hit counters, you need to use it with a .mac account. You publish to .mac with the press of a button. But if you want your site on another server, you must publish it to a folder, then use a third-party app move the files via FTP (usually manually) to a server. And if you want sites on both .mac and on another server, it gets even more complicated. Since iWeb will publish ALL your sites to .mac anyway, you'll need to go back and remove them from .mac or you'll have duplicate sites. Here's where Automator can do a complex task with a simple workflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Ok, first step is you need to orginise web hosting. I can not recomend specific providers here as it is against the rules, but any of the big names in the Irish market are reliable.

You then need to buy a domain name, a .ie is about 35 euro and has some pretty strict rules to show that you are eligible for it. The details can be found on iedr.ie. A .ie can be purchased direct from the IEDR or from your hosting provider. A .com domain is easier to get, and cheaper, but as more people have access to it you are less likely to be able to secure the name you want. A .com can be bought from your hosting provider, or one of the budget registrars (such as godaddy.com). It will cost 5-10 quid depending on where you go.

The domain name then needs to be pointed at your hosting account. This is done by entering the DNS details that will be given to you by your hosting provider into the relevant sections of your registrars control panal. I'm sure that if you buy your domain from your hosting provider they can do this for you.

The hosting provider will give you ftp details. They can then be put into an FTP client such as fetch (Just google osx ftp client, there is loads of them) and you can drag the files up.

By default most webservers will look for index.html or index.htm as a start page, so make sure your initial page is named accordingly.

Advertisement