Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsboro

Options
  • 29-09-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I am interested in this area of Dublin City North as it is where my Great-grandparents lived prior to coming to New Zealand. The name is Brady and they lived on Phibsborough Road and also on Conliffe Road up near Croke Park... When in Dublin in 1998 I visited these areas and would like to find out more about it... even talk to a Brady in the area if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

What do you want to know? Great area, very central, lots of amenities, for the most part affordable - a lot of the people living there now are students or immigrants.

BTW Clonliffe Road is Drumcondra or Ballybough, not Phibsboro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Kia ora to the 'naki :)

If you have their addresses from 1911, you can search the census records here http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 naki2go

Thanks for that... When I tried to find the address for where my Grandfather was born when over in Dublin in 1998 I discovered it to be vacant ground with an old structure at the back. An elderly man I asked said that all the buildings on this street were well over 100 years old as he could remember them as a lad and they were "old then".

Conliffe Road the houses were the same type so I assume that they would date from the same period as well.

The lived in tenements which I assume were pretty much the norm for the working classes of that time. I am talking about the 1840s - 1876 when they left Ireland.

My great grandparents left Ireland along with 3 children including my grandfather to come to the "New World".

But it is interesting to learn that the students and immigrants live in Phibsboro these days how times have changed...

Ki ora. They left Dublin in 1876 to come to New Zealand. I believe that some family remained in Dublin perhaps a brother in Conliffe Road I will follow up on that one.

I say this as just before they left Ireland they were staying in Conliffe Road with a John Brady so I am pretty sure he may of been some relation.

Again any information on this area would be greatly beneficial to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Going to be hard to find info from that part of history, I reckon. As you know Ireland was under British Rule.

However.

My dad lived in Clonliffe Avenue, just around the corner from Clonliffe Road (it's definitely Ballybough, NOT Drumcondra ;)), and they weren't tenements, his parents moved out to Ballybough from Gardiner Street, which was tenements, at the time.

Although, that would have been about 70 years after 1876, so who knows.

Your best bet, I'd say, would be to get in touch with any of the churches around the area, see if they have records of Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths from the time, but between the 1840s and the 1870s there was a LOT of emigration form Ireland due to famine and other general bad living conditions.

Edit.

I'll ask my dad if he knows any family by the name of Brady from Clonliffe Road, but it's a fairly common name, so it might not be conclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

About immigrants living in Phibsboro. I'm a French immigrant and I live there and anyone else in my building is an immigrant hehe. I don't know why, maybe Irishmen don't like cheap housing ;) (I pay 140 a week for my tiny flat, by far the cheapest I could find).

Perhaps it's also appreciated by people like us with no car because it's at a walking distance from anything you need. Seriously, there's like 12 grocery stores less than 5 minutes away (by foot) from where I live (Monck Place, off Phibsborough Road). And nowhere to buy a bloody salad bowl, I've been eating nothing but meat for 7 months because I can't find a damn salad bowl in this city hehe.

Yes I gathered Brady is a common name in Ireland lol.... But would be interesting to hear your Dad's response lol...

From looking at history I was guessing that Phibsborough Road was more tenement area than Conliffe Road did... Don't ask me why I've no idea why I thought that, when my great grandparents were living in Conliffe Road he was managing a large Decorating firm called Franklin Painting and Decorating on the Jervis St and The Strand corner the owner being John De Courcy Franklin this was again 1870s.

Yes getting about in Dublin on foot is relatively easy I walked from the GPO in O'Connell St to Glasnevin Cemetery and Conliffe Road and Phibsborough Road a few times in 1998 just to walk the same street as my ancestors... lol.. They probably went by tram or horse and gig who knows lol....

Its expensive alright, but as you say all the the amenities you want are close by...

Dublin is a cool place to live I reckon...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can look up old street directories, including Clonliffe Road and possibly whatever street it is was demolished in the Dublin City Archives, upstairs in Pearse Street library.

It is indeed a cool place to live, well mainly compared to all I know, that is French cities, which I profoundly loathe. It feels very homely as well, as in, not a single time did I ask myself "wtf am I doing here". That is, except when locals open their mouth and that I'm like WTF.

Seriously, some people have nice foreigner-friendly accents, but an awful lot of people out here have just too strong an accent. Although fortunately not as strong as the Geordie accent of Newcastle/Sunderland. That wasn't a bit intelligible to me.

• Advertisement

Clonliffe
    Clonliffe
    Clonliffe

not Conliffe.

Sorry about the miss spelling, I should have consulted my notes before I sent the message... I hate it too when people miss spell street names even when you spell it correctly many times in replies lol.... I guess I was having a blind spot day hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

A_SN wrote: »
    About immigrants living in Phibsboro. I'm a French immigrant and I live there and anyone else in my building is an immigrant hehe. I don't know why, maybe Irishmen don't like cheap housing ;).

Phibsboro is a kip. In some ways its even worse than it was in the 80's and that's saying something...
    Seriously, some people have nice foreigner-friendly accents,

(IMO) these same people with the nice accents you mention will be heading back to houses close to town over the river as the floater that was the Irish property market sinks further to the bottom of the toilet-bowl...

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Phibsboro is a kip. In some ways its even worse (more people dirtier, noisier, more congested, more violent) etc than it was in the 80's and that's saying something...

Hahaha, if Phibsboro is a pinnacle of inner city violence and dirtiness, then you don't know your luck. Full disclaimer : my benchmark for violence and such is French "ghettos", the kind of place the police shies away from. And Phibsboro is nothing even remotely like that.

(IMO) these same people with the nice accents you mention will be heading back to houses close to town over the river as the floater that was the Irish property market sinks further to the bottom of the toilet-bowl...
    I'm talking about Irishmen with nice understandable accents. I don't see what this has to do with anything to be honest.

Anyways, here's what I wonder the more I hear Irish people on radio and on the Internet talk. Is it me who fails to see what you guys see, or do you as it seems to me put all your issues under a microscope and blow them up out of proportion (out of proportion by my French standards)? Why do I feel perfectly safe in this city as I keep hearing you guys worry all the time, whereas I felt unsafe in the large French cities I knew?

Of course I'm comparing things that you can't necessarily relate to, but I strongly get the feeling that there's an important cultural difference between France and Ireland regarding how society's issues are perceived. I doubt that there would be any area of Dublin that wouldn't pale in comparison to the worst areas of Paris or Marseille, yet a lot of people here sound like the whole thing's about to blow up, thanks to immigrants, gangs, guns and drugs. I just feel a strong difference between what I perceive as an inhabitant of this city and what Irish inhabitants perceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's a pride thing. "Our scumbags are worse than your scumbags". :D

Not your ornery onager

Hahaha, if Phibsboro is a pinnacle of inner city violence and dirtiness, then you don't know your luck. Full disclaimer : my benchmark for violence and such is French "ghettos", the kind of place the police shies away from. And Phibsboro is nothing even remotely like that.

And your point is? Phibsboro is worse (in some ways) IMO than it was 20-25 years ago is what I said - I didn't say it was just like a dodgy area in a f-ing 3rd world city (or even Paris...) did I?

The funny thing is I edited out my list of "ways" before I saw your post because I was thinking someone like your good self would jump right on it...

Violence was something I was doubtful about including in that list anyway for a number of reasons but I'm surer about the others.
    I'm talking about Irishmen with nice understandable accents. I don't see what this has to do with anything to be honest.

Okey dokey.
    It's a waste of time explaining really.
    Anyways, here's what I wonder the more I hear Irish people on radio and on the Internet talk. Is it me who fails to see what you guys see, or do you as it seems to me put all your issues under a microscope and blow them up out of proportion (out of proportion by my French standards)? Why do I feel perfectly safe in this city as I keep hearing you guys worry all the time, whereas I felt unsafe in the large French cities I knew?

Of course I'm comparing things that you can't necessarily relate to, but I strongly get the feeling that there's an important cultural difference between France and Ireland regarding how society's issues are perceived. I doubt that there would be any area of Dublin that wouldn't pale in comparison to the worst areas of Paris or Marseille, yet a lot of people here sound like the whole thing's about to blow up, thanks to immigrants, gangs, guns and drugs. I just feel a strong difference between what I perceive as an inhabitant of this city and what Irish inhabitants perceive.

Yawn. You perceive things differently because you are an immigrant who hasn't lived here long enough. I know, I know - its a simple & boring reason which doesn't involve a lot of waffle about "culture".

You said it was a kip. I've seen what can be called a kip and Phibsboro is nothing like that in my opinion.

I don't understand how it's a kip either. The only part that might fit that description is that stretch of the NCR where most of the buildings are bedsit slums. But I'd wager that a passerby couldn't tell that from the street and would just see it as a street full of very large old houses.

I lived in Phibs for five years and would move back in a heartbeat if I could bring my affordable apartment with me. Kip? No way.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I don't understand how it's a kip either. The only part that might fit that description is that stretch of the NCR where most of the buildings are bedsit slums. But I'd wager that a passerby couldn't tell that from the street and would just see it as a street full of very large old houses.

I would have though it was fairly obvious what they were? Is this not what alot of the "houses" in Phibsboro are?:confused:

Anyway, consensus is I'm a sheltered soul who doesn't know what a "real" "kip" is...:pac:

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I would have though it was fairly obvious what they were?

How would it be obvious? It's not as though they have signs on their windows.
    Is this not what alot of the "houses" in Phibsboro are?

Well I lived in three different houses there and none of them were. I also know for a fact that there are still quite a lot of single family homes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement