Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: St Pats vs Hertha Berlin

• 29-09-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

St Pats vs Hertha Berlin, 5pm RDS, Dublin TUESDAY

Its mission impossible Part 2.

St Pats hold the hopes of professional Irish football in their hands as they bid to become the first Irish club team to qualify for the Group stages of a major European competition.

The match is LIVE on RTE 2 at 5pm but get down there if you are in the Dublin area.

It should be a great game, its David vs Goliath but hopefully it will be a historic night for the team from Dublin. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why the 5pm kick off?

I think it will be a score draw tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote: »
    Why the 5pm kick off?

I think it will be a score draw tomorrow night.

TV in Germany.

Shels played Lille at some weird time back in '04 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

As mentioned in a previous thread I do have Hertha sympathies but I wouldn't put it past St Pats to pull it out tomorrow, Hertha lost at home to Cottbus at the weekend (their Berlin/Brandenburg derby match) which they should have walked, and they've got a few doubtfuls, notably their strikers Voronin and Pantelic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Be interesting to see what sort of crowd they get with the early kick off time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Be interesting to see what sort of crowd they get with the early kick off time.
    Feck all by the sounds of things. Very few tickets have been sold; the place is not expected to be more than a quarter full. Unless everyone's holding off buying tickets until they get to the RDS, but I doubt it.

Anyways, I don't think Pats have much hope of going through - I can't see them keeping a clean sheet. But, they're well capable of at least getting a result on the night; looking forward to a good game.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Feck all by the sounds of things. Very few tickets have been sold; the place is not expected to be more than a quarter full. Unless everyone's holding off buying tickets until they get to the RDS, but I doubt it.

Anyways, I don't think Pats have much hope of going through - I can't see them keeping a clean sheet. But, they're well capable of at least getting a result on the night; looking forward to a good game.

That's a shame tbh. I'd go only I'm gonna be stuck in work until 6. Football fans should be at their bandwagon best for these things :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anyone hear how many tickets have been sold so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

There is a decent sized mob of Hertha fans milling around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There is a decent sized mob of Hertha fans milling around town.

Is there indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Just 2 hours to go now. I expect a tense first half. St Pats possible line up, no place for senior International O'Cearuill I would say.

Ryan
    Lynch Gavin Harris Rogers/Byrne

Guy Dempsey Fahy O'Brien

Murphy/Fitz/O'Neill Quigley

A truly difficult task against Hertha won have mostly senior Internationals in every position

• Advertisement

That's a shame tbh. I'd go only I'm gonna be stuck in work until 6. Football fans should be at their bandwagon best for these things :(
    That's the problem; by having the game so early, you were never going to get many band-wagoners along. They're totally dependent on LOI fans getting out in their droves and it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Richie Sadlier explains all here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Best of luck to Pats tonight. Mammoth task tbh.

Gareth37 wrote: »
    St Pats possible line up, no place for senior International O'Cearuill I would say.
    :confused:

Why would there be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Looking forward to this game. Not a Pat's supporter but they'll have my full support this evening. Taking time off work to go to the game and hopefully to see Pat's get a result. Pitty about the ko time though for the majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Either Pats will strike early and HB get the jitters or it'll be a comfy away win as Pats go forwards and get picked off on the break.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're totally dependent on LOI fans getting out in their droves and it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

FAI even used the (admittedly their own ) Rovers text service to advertise the game. I assume they did the same for other clubs. Good luck to Pats though. Would like to see them get a result tonight.

mike65 wrote: »
    Either Pats will strike early and HB get the jitters or it'll be a comfy away win as Pats go forwards and get picked off on the break.

Mike

In the Elfsborg Pats 2nd leg it was 0-0 at half time and pats ended up winning. If its 0-0 at half time a shock is possible. I think Hertha will progress but Pats should get something from the game as they are not far behind Hertha's standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

G'wan the Saints!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Best of luck to Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

stovelid wrote: »
    FAI even used the (admittedly their own ) Rovers text service to advertise the game. I assume they did the same for other clubs. Good luck to Pats though. Would like to see them get a result tonight.

Indeed, sent through Cork City's text service aswell (along with the MNS reminder). Good luck to Pats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, some jerk added me to the Cobh Ramblers text service and they sent me one as well.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think we could actually get something from the game. I don't neccessarily mean go through, but i reckon we can nab a score draw. I so wish it was in Richmond though.

Not sure who's supplying Hertha with their intel!
    St.Patrick's are currently occupying second spot in the eircom League table, following a 0-0 away to Galway United. They trail the runaway league leaders Bohemians by 19 points after 12 rounds.
    http://www.herthabsc.de/index.php?id=16873

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

it would be brillant for irish football if they could pull it off but i think they are up against it big time, imagine an irish team in the group stages of the Uefa cup what a boost for the league that would be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

pesireland wrote: »
    it would be brillant for irish football if they could pull it off but i think they are up against it big time, imagine an irish team in the group stages of the Uefa cup what a boost for the league that would be :)

that would be beyond belief but its gonna happen sooner or later. hopefully for pats it'll be tonight!!!
    not a pats fan but cant wait for the game.
    i'm heading down now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It'll happen next year.

With the new rrules and the likes.

Even a draw tonight for Pat's would be good as they would be seeded right through the qualifying phases next year.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was going to go to this but for the feckin 5 o'clock kick off... Best of luck St. Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

0-0 coming up to HT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Just switched on there. Looks like a very scrappy game so far. Pat's getting a few chances though.

Pat's really should be ahead.

Robbed of a peno too.

Fahey to score at least one screamer this half.

St Pats need to be a bit more clinical in front of goals. Ref should be shot for not givin the peno.

There will be goals in the 2nd half. Its exciting. :eek:

It could be the most historic night in Irish football since Ireland qualified for Euro 1988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

LOL Voronin. What a miss

Sounds like our loan move was a good one.

Mike

Pats are doing quite well so far. A goal in the next 10-15 mins and they;re in with a real shout.

Jesus how close was that?

• Advertisement

FCUK.

Jesus. Two great chances.

Pats have HErtha on the brink.

:eek:

Fahy is incredible.

Only a matter of time before Pats score. Easy

Come on pats. Time on their side and playing some super stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sounds like our loan move was a good one.

Mike

Nope, they are getting a good look at how **** he is. We should have pushed for a perm move from the start.

Another great chance gone a miss. Come on Pats, lets put them away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ryan Guy must be the most frustrating player in the world to watch. Magic at one moment; hapless the other.

What was guy at there? the ball back across was just so "meh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hit the post again! So unlucky, they deserve something

FFS should have at least scored one by now. Some of the finishing/decision making has been sadly, brutal.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Nope, they are getting a good look at how **** he is. We should have pushed for a perm move from the start.

Fair point, well made.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pats well deserve to be winning this by 2. Pity. There's absolutely no question they've been the best team so far over the 2 legs imo.

Goals win games, not "quality"

Mike

Jesus if Voronin keeps touching the ball we are going to have to pay someone to take him.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Pats well deserve to be winning this by 2. Pity. There's absolutely no question they've been the best team so far over the 2 legs imo.
    Let's not get carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Let's not get carried away.
    I'm not. There's no way Hertha deserved to win by 2 over there. Pats deserve to win by 2 tonight. That's what I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement