Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please - Oileán Chléire summer course

Options
  • 29-09-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Do any of you have experience of the summer gaeltacht courses on Oileán Chléire? There are 2 different organisations running courses there. One group is called Coláiste Chiaran & the kids stay in a hostel while doing the course. The other one is Coláiste Phobal Chléire & the kids stay in houses on the island.
    Which course would you recommend?
    All advice gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have done the Colaiste Chiaran course twice.

Once just after finishing first year and I liked it but I was alone and scared so I would not advise sending a child (12/13) on the course at all.

The second time I was 16 and I had a great time. I HIGHLY ADVISE Colaiste Chiaran, my Irish improved dramatically, I had a great time and I made a few fantastic friends!!!

From what I saw of the other Colaiste, and I did talk to a few of them, A more than proportionate number seemed kind of slow to me! Nice people just slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Thanks for the info Minidazzler.

Anyone else ? Please .... ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Bump
    Please? Need to make a decision about which one to pick, help !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I was in Colaiste Chiaran when I was 14, I look back now and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Went through a plethora of emotions, at such a young age being exposed to a bit of limited freedom. Was mad for the girls back then aswell and the flirting back in those days was priceless, had a great craic playing sports and the Ceili's.

Would definitely recommend it, made some great friends there and every time I think back to that Summer I smile. Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ancee

Definitely go to Coláiste Chiarán, went there summer before Junior Cert and loved it, they're quite strict about talking Irish but your Irish really improves. It's a great place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ancee wrote: »
    Definitely go to Coláiste Chiarán, went there summer before Junior Cert and loved it, they're quite strict about talking Irish but your Irish really improves. It's a great place.

Very true and the other place is not strict at all!!!

Advertisement