Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many viewings are sellers getting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

axel rose wrote: »
    I cant understand why people on this site are so quick to make assumptions and be so negative toward people trying to sell their home. Thanks to all the other contributers that stayed on topic

You are now lecturing us on staying on topic? From your original post:
    Is there a small pick up in the market?

I'm confused - did you want that question answered or not? Please clarify, because it strikes me as unspeakably ignorant to seek opinions and then demean and belittle those opinions with a sanctimonious, dismissive tone simply because you don't like them. Makes my skin crawl in fact.
    20goto10 wrote: »
    I'm sure you don't need me pointing this out but beware the would be first time buyers with a vested interest in driving prices down.

I see. So people looking to buy a house are being craven in seeking lower prices? Some would call that the free market, but obviously not in magic Ireland where notional increases in house prices make us all millionaires. Good times. And I'd presume that all those who drove the market up are pure-as-the-driven snow go-getters with nothing but altruistic "interests"? Your post is a glorified damn-de-begrudgers job and is not a serious effort to address the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

bangers and tree house you clearly dont have houses to sell so why are you still posting on this thread? my question was about viewings and my assumption is that if there are viewings then people are considering buying houses. I dont think that logic is too crazy.

The house price may well be decided by the vendor but its a naive vendor that disregards the advise of their estate agent-We are in addition to considering the goings on of the economy

Tree house I advise you to look through this thread as I believe you were the first to stray off the thread with the 1st reply.
    And seriously trust me some offers are really really off the wall. anyway enough of the meandering Im off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

bangers and tree house you clearly dont have houses to sell so why are you still posting on this thread? my question was about viewings and my assumption is that if there are viewings then people are considering buying houses. I dont think that logic is too crazy.

The house price may well be decided by the vendor but its a naive vendor that disregards the advise of their estate agent-We are in addition to considering the goings on of the economy

Tree house I advise you to look through this thread as I believe you were the first to stray off the thread with the 1st reply.
    And seriously trust me some offers are really really off the wall. anyway enough of the meandering Im off

No offence axel rose but you appear to be quite ignorant of what's going on in the Irish property market.

Your house is only worth what someone else is able/willing to pay - it is obviously overpriced if it has not sold yet, as you've been told several times on this thread.

And what do you mean offers off the wall?! Any offer is better than nothing and perhaps you have unrealistic expectations as to the value of your property.

For example:

Lets say in 2005 your house was worth €600k - now you have it on the market for €500k and your highest "off the wall" offer is €350k.

You think it's crazy but the problem is your house was never really worth €600k or €500k - it's only worth what someone is willing to pay so if the highest someone is willing to pay is €350k then that simply is the value of your house, currently.

Maybe in 2005 it was worth €600k if someone would pay that then but in the current circumstances there's every chance that the most you'd get for the same house over the next 2/3 years could be as low as €300k.

Do some research here, and especially on the propertypin - IMHO the property drops seen so far are only the beginning and I (along with many well researched folks) can see another 20-40% coming off over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

I (along with many well researched folks) can see another 20-40% coming off over the next few years
    Would you mind showing us this research. I am interested and not trying to argue with you. A couple of links may well back up your opinion. You see a fall of 80% or so in real prices from their high? This seems quite a lot and implies property was overpriced before the boom even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

hi there,

Just wondering how other peoples houses sales are going? We've been (trying) to sell our house since February. Its by far the cheapest house of its type in my area and is good value. (in my opinion;)).
    After a dead summer we've been getting viewings every couple of weeks since the end of the summer. We got a few mad offers that really couldn't be considered and fingers crossed we may be close to a deal.
    What I really want to know is are other sellers experiencing a similar pattern? Is there a small pick up in the market?
    Lets face it none of us trust our agents-mine is just sooo busy :rolleyes: every time I ask him about the general state of things he tells me that he just collected X amount of deposits that week!

Just gone sale agreed myself, and not for the first time...

Fingers crossed it goes through, if it doesn't go smoothly I'll be pulling out of the deal.

Regulation of estate agents is so badly needed in the country, the sooner the better. I think there'll be quite a big increase in sales in the coming weeks.

As we speak there's emergency legislation going through the Dail with regard to the financial predicament we're in. With the Govt agreeing to guarantee money on deposit in banks there will have to be a reciprocal act by the banks... imo this will be more readily avalable credit to kickstart the housing market.

We would not be in recession if it wasn't for the slow down in house sales over the past 12/15 months, this is not my opinion, this is a fact (10k house sales = 1% of our economic intake, we will be down probably circa 40k in house sales from last year). The start of the slow down can be traced all the way to comments made by Michael McDowell a couple of yars ago (please note I am not blaming him for the slow down, I'm blaming him for it starting when it did).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Just gone sale agreed myself, and not for the first time...

Fingers crossed it goes through, if it doesn't go smoothly I'll be pulling out of the deal.

Regulation of estate agents is so badly needed in the country, the sooner the better. I think there'll be quite a big increase in sales in the coming weeks.

As we speak there's emergency legislation going through the Dail with regard to the financial predicament we're in. With the Govt agreeing to guarantee money on deposit in banks there will have to be a reciprocal act by the banks... imo this will be more readily avalable credit to kickstart the housing market.

We would not be in recession if it wasn't for the slow down in house sales over the past 12/15 months, this is not my opinion, this is a fact (10k house sales = 1% of our economic intake, we will be down probably circa 40k in house sales from last year). The start of the slow down can be traced all the way to comments made by Michael McDowell a couple of yars ago (please note I am not blaming him for the slow down, I'm blaming him for it starting when it did).

So what you're saying is that McDowell did a good thing then? If (and you're totally incorrect btw) he popped the bubble then he saved us from an even worse comedown. If the banks do decide to use this credit guarantee to facilitate loans for more of the overpriced junk housing stock I'll personally attempt to storm the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

ar). The start of the slow down can be traced all the way to comments made by Michael McDowell a couple of yars ago (please note I am not blaming him for the slow down, I'm blaming him for it starting when it did).

It would be unfair to label McDowell as the little boy in the crowd who called out that the emperor had no clothing. It was apparent to many that the gravy train had run off the tracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It would be unfair to label McDowell as the little boy in the crowd who called out that the emperor had no clothing. It was apparent to many that the gravy train had run off the tracks!

McDowell stalled the market unintentionally though, by pure accident rather than design.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jamar

We put our property on the market April 2007. We priced lower than any comparable property, and tried to drop the asking price ahead of the curve.

After a number of viewings when we went for sale, there was nothing all summer. In September the number of viewings picked up. We went sale agreed 3 times; on the third time it went through. This was at the start of November.

That's what we found last year. As everyone has advise, I'd say drop the price about two weeks before the budget to get noticed.

Best of luck. As potential buyers, however, we are sitting and waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

bangers and tree house you clearly dont have houses to sell so why are you still posting on this thread?

I don't have a spaceship either but I still have an opinion on space exploration (it's a jolly good thing, leading to the intellectual and moral advancement of all humanity). If we need some kind of spaceship to participate in your threads in future, could you please specify that from the outset so we can all save ourselves the bother of expressing an opinion.

Axel, I know you now want to pretend that you didn't ask the question about the state of the market, but those of us in the reality-based community know you did. Maybe in future you shouldn't ask questions if you don't want answers to them. It's pretty damned simple I would have thought.
    my question was about viewings

No, one of your questions was about viewings. The other was about whether there was a pick-up in the market. This was the question I responded to, clearly quoting your question to avoid confusion. Everyone reading this thread knows this apart from you. You appear deeply confused, so my suggestion to you is that you read your own posts before posting them in future.
    and my assumption is that if there are viewings then people are considering buying houses.

Ok, so let me get your own logic straight: No viewings = no sales.

Is that right? Good, so let's try this little game of Blankety-Blank, using this self-same logic:

No viewings = No sales.

....ergo....

No viewings of OP's house = No ________ of OP's ________.

Answers on a postcard.
    The house price may well be decided by the vendor

And so, at long last, the rub. House prices are decided by the vendor.

One more time everyone: House prices are decided by the vendor.

No, actually, we need it one more time because it is almost impossible to believe that anyone could have said it, so here we go: House prices are decided by the vendor.

And I presume you mean vendors like, for example, you, who have their house on the market for 8 months? If that's the case, why don't you just tell all those pesky buyers that you have "decided" on the price and tell them to jolly well get on with meeting it!?
    but its a naive vendor that disregards the advise of their estate agent

Yes. Yes it is.
    We are in addition to considering the goings on of the economy

The "goings on"? You mean the half dozen "goings on" I mentioned in the second post in this thread, which you chose to ridicule? It's odd, but when I mentioned them, you sneered at these "goings on", but now it appears you are paying close attention to them! I see. Totally consistent position there mate.

Firstly, the day I accept advice from someone who I]personal abuse self-censored, but it was really, really unpleasant[/I will be a cold day in hell.

Secondly, from your OP: "Is there a small pick up in the market?". Mods, could I ask why this poster is being allowed get away with the utter bull**** he/she is talking in this thread? People get banned for personal abuse here (which I agree with) and yet OP comes on here, asks a question and then rags on the answers they get in the most patronising tones? The moral and intellectual dishonesty is shocking. It is just too much to stomach this level of crassness.
    And seriously trust me some offers are really really off the wall.

"Seriously"? lol. I don't think so.
    Im off

And Im Spartacus.

• Advertisement

treehouse- are you serious? you are ragging on me about being patronising and abusive?
    how many times do I have to mention that I was just asking for advise from other vendors. you clearly are not. If anything judging by the way you twist my posts and the bizzare way you cannot stay on topic you act more like a troll. Frankly Im done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- calm down everyone.
    Forum rules are if you disagree with what someone posts, you refute the post, but do not attack the poster.......
    There are several people on this thread borderline attacking each other.
    While its entirely understandable that property is a particularly emotive subject- that gives noone the right to question the personal motives of other posters, or attempt to start an online fight.

Be civil to each other if you want to post in the Accommodation and Property Forum, or you will have your rights to post here withdrawn.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    it would seem that people may take their savings and buy a cheap house - in this way at least you can see your money rather then letting the banks do away with it.
    Viewings, from my own experience, are very slow. People seem to want more for their money due to public perception. House prices will not nose dive - a 500k house will not become 200k - maybe 380k or something like that. There are an awful lot of buyers out there at the moment waiting to jump on. When the signal comes to buy I just hope the banks will lend.
    If the banks won't lend the money - will the government?

In denial much?
    The Japanese bubble knoced up to 80% off the 'value' of some properties.
    M

wow! guess what folks. had a viewing Yesterday...... and got an offer of 5k off the asking price!!!! (not the origional asking price but who gets that thesse days). They have even paid the deposit already this morning!!! I know its early days but looking positive yes? :D

wow! guess what folks. had a viewing Yesterday...... and got an offer of 5k off the asking price!!!! (not the origional asking price but who gets that thesse days). They have even paid the deposit already this morning!!! I know its early days but looking positive yes? :D

Nice one!
    Make sure they are pre-approved mortgage wise (thats the major stumbling block these days).
    Well done though!

S.

I know. As far as I am aware they are approved but I dont know how recent the approval was given. All going well how long should this take to complete? is 8 to 12 weeks realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

How many viewings are sellers getting?

hi there,
    Just wondering how other peoples houses sales are going? We've been (trying) to sell our house since February. Its by far the cheapest house of its type in my area and is good value. (in my opinion;)).
    After a dead summer we've been getting viewings every couple of weeks since the end of the summer. We got a few mad offers that really couldn't be considered and fingers crossed we may be close to a deal.
    What I really want to know is are other sellers experiencing a similar pattern? Is there a small pick up in the market?
    Lets face it none of us trust our agents-mine is just sooo busy :rolleyes: every time I ask him about the general state of things he tells me that he just collected X amount of deposits that week!

Seems obvious to me that these questions were aimed at sellers.

Again another thread that has turned out nasty. Sellers and buyers rarely bother to come near Boards anymore because of similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I know. As far as I am aware they are approved but I dont know how recent the approval was given. All going well how long should this take to complete? is 8 to 12 weeks realistic?

Congrats on going sale agreed axel.

I was told that my purchasers had approval but they still had delays getting full approval after survey was done and took six weeks to come through after first deposit was paid.

thanks weyhey. Yea I cant understand the antagonism of some posters. Ill not be asking any more questions on this section for fear of being accused of profiteering from homelessness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

How far off percentagewise were the offers you got that you found silly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

To summarise: Property is on sale since February. Poster suggests yesterday that there might be a pick up in the market. Then, during the most tumultuous week in Ireland's recent history, the property goes sale agreed the next day. Excuse me if this seems hard to believe.

See shill.

To summarise: Property is on sale since February. Poster suggests yesterday that there might be a pick up in the market. Then, during the most tumultuous week in Ireland's recent history, the property goes sale agreed the next day. Excuse me if this seems hard to believe.

See shill.

Regardless of whether you believe the OP or not- its not for you to call. Leave the moderating to the moderators.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

groom wrote: »
    How far off percentagewise were the offers you got that you found silly
    axel rose: congrats on the sale agreed! Hopefully it all works out for you.

If you could think about answering this question, I'd really like to hear your thoughts (or that of any other sellers) - are people going in offering 50% of the asking price, or just the standard 20% less?

groom, well I bought my house about 4 years ago for just under the stamp duty limit 190,000. although it was structurally sound it had to be gutted.
    It was with the first agent we knew the price was too high after about 6 weeks but he kept advising us to not drop, we dropped the price anyway by 15k. about a month later we wanted to drop the price again but he went awol for another couple of weeks. surprise surprise he went under.:rolleyes:

we went with another estate agent who recommended that we drop our price by a total of 50k. this put our price at just under 290. we were getting offers of 180........ seriously we priced the house to sell it there are houses in my estate that are smaller in both size and plot for 340. these houses are in no where near the condition mine is in. So can you see that some offers are just a wee bit mad? ( that guy went up to 190). He was obviously chancing his arm but at the same time it was a waste of everyones time.....

bangers why do you think I posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

You should be very pleased with the sale agreed price! 50% profit (I'm assuming the price agreed was about €285k) after 4 years; that's an awesomre return in fairness, considering the way the market is going. Congrats again.

sorry bangers I didnt explain myself too well. I mean I was surprised at the increased viewings too and wanted to know if other vendors noticed the same. however instead I got some information, some support and a lot of c...p

ionapaul wrote: »
    You should be very pleased with the sale agreed price! 50% profit (I'm assuming the price agreed was about €285k) after 4 years; that's an awesomre return in fairness, considering the way the market is going. Congrats again.

Not really- if he had to gut the property and reconstitute it in its entirety. Depending on the extent of the building work, he'd be doing bloody well to break even.......

iona paul I think it depends on the property. If the house has been for sale or ages and they havent dropped then maybe you could discuss if the vendors are open to adapting the price to the current market conditions with the agent. Unfortunately a lot of people really need to sell but cant drop their price as they cant afford to.

Look at other houses in the area to see if the price is fair. If 10 houses in an estate is selling at 300 dont bother offering 150. I understand that market interest will dictate the price but there are few bargain basements offers either. Think of your house as a home not as a quick investment more value maintainance in the short term ( by this I mean 5 years or so). Most of all buy a home you love.

but from personal experience dont offer 180 two weeks after the price has dropped by 50k!!!
    good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

It can never hurt to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There will be people putting in low ball offers on the chances that someone will bite.

While the total fall over the next few years might be 40%, 50%, 90%, you can't expect someone to sell at those figures today (unless there are other circumstances). The buyer will just have to wait those few years (and keep offering low balls in the mean time).

Advertisement