Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where soccer is heading to

• 30-09-2008 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Firstly, please take me seriously with this and, if you intend to reply, do so constructively.

I have lost interest in soccer over the past two years, the main reasons being excessive wage-increases, cheating (e.g. diving & feigning injury), and - above all - the apparent spoilt nature that so-permeates young players entering the main stage. There are still some honest players out there, but the majority behave like spoilt brats.

I want to go back to the days when players were payed lower wages, and when foreigners didn't make up three-quarters or more of a team. Soccer is a wonderful sport, but it's being corrupted and spoilt by money. The sadistic part of me can't wait until the TV money that so-supports soccer at this moment in time collapses. However, the nurturing side of me realises that many people will suffer because of it. Certainly, things can't go on the way they are forever. It will all change eventually.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Kevster wrote: »

Soccer is a wonderful sport,

It really isn't.

Half the time it is out of obligation that I go to games.

Hurling is the real beautiful game!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

and when foreigners didn't make up three-quarters or more of a team.

Oh no you didn't is going to have a field day with this:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Are you talking about Kildare County here? Id advise you to go along to a few games otherwise, see how the other side lives, you might enjoy it. Serious suggestion by the way.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I felt somewhat like the OP about a year ago. I used to be a huge Liverpool fan but over time became disillusioned with the Premiership. However I started going to Bohs games this season and find myself enjoying football again!

On the point of foreign players, I don't see it as a problem. I want to watch good football, I don't care which nationality it comes from.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, as others have alluded to, if your sick of the top level of the sport, which is essentially business first, there are plenty of levels to drop down to without sacrificing too much quality. The championship for instance has plenty of games televised and is actually a really competitive, entertaining league.

There's also the option that im sure many will mention, the Eircom League. Now, it depends on the team, but some of the football in the eL is actually quite good. I pop along every few weeks to Cork City matches and it can be a mixed bag. Cork themselves usually try to play nice passing football, but some of the opposition can indeed be terrible, Bray being amongst the worst i've seen.

But regardless, if your sick of 1 division in 1 country, dont let that put you off all football, christ with the joys of the internet you can even start following Ligue 1 in france which is full of quality home grown talent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Hi,

Firstly, please take me seriously with this and, if you intend to reply, do so constructively.

I have lost interest in soccer over the past two years, the main reasons being excessive wage-increases, cheating
    I know, I know, I hate Bohs too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Jesus H Christ, this website moves fast! Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I have thought about going to a League of Ireland game because that's much closer to the roots of the game than the premiership is. Another reason why I'm disillusioned with the state of the professional game is due to a game I went to last year at St. James' Park (Newcastle Vs Fulham). I'm an Everton fan, but went to the game because I know someone who knows Shay Given's sister. Anyway, I couldn't believe the abuse the opposing fans gave each other and, indeed, the players ON BOTH TEAMS. I don't want to be part of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

and when foreigners didn't make up three-quarters or more of a team

I bet you hate the Polish for stealing our jobs aswell huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anyway, I couldn't believe the abuse the opposing fans gave each other and, indeed, the players ON BOTH TEAMS. I don't want to be part of that.

might wanna bring earmuffs to the eircom league matches so!

Nah i've never seen any real hassle between fans, plenty of abuse hurled at players though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I bet you hate the Polish for stealing our jobs aswell huh?
    No, you have me all wrong on this point. I think that it is a great thing that there are foreigners here, and I generally respet them more than I do my own countrymen. The point I was making on this issue is that - as far as I see it - foreigners have brought to the game the idea that cheating is an okay thing to do. I watched a documentary on Spanish football once, and a reputable player stated that youth players are 'trained' how to dive and basically use dirty tactics in order to 'get one over' on the opposition.

Kevin

• Advertisement

Anyway, I couldn't believe the abuse the opposing fans gave each other and, indeed, the players ON BOTH TEAMS. I don't want to be part of that.
    Try cricket, I hear they have tea and crumpets on the lawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

CiaranC wrote: »
    Try cricket, I hear they have tea and crumpets on the lawn.

He He, thats what we call the Donie Forde inhabitants at the Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sweet mother of Jebus, somebody should cover you in bubble wrap. Better yet, put you in a hermetically sealed ball so that you can't stub your toe, or graze your knees, or hear the bad men say bold words.

I suspect live football isn't for you my friend. Lacrosse and daisy chains might be a bit less lively.

Here's the thing...football exists in forms other than the PL. that you're jaded with the soap opera that is top level football in England is understandable, that you've decided that is the sum total of what football has to offer is not. At it's most basic level, football is a game played by two teams of equal numbers (5, 7, 11 a side) with the aim of putting an air-filled sphere between two posts.

Try your national league. Try local football. Hell, try a game of headers and volleys with a few mates. You'll be amazed at the total lack of 120k a week wages and alice bands you'll encounter.

A word of warning though, football is a contact sport, and every now and then people let off steam by saying bold words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, as others have alluded to, if your sick of the top level of the sport, which is essentially business first, there are plenty of levels to drop down to without sacrificing too much quality. The championship for instance has plenty of games televised and is actually a really competitive, entertaining league.

There's also the option that im sure many will mention, the Eircom League. Now, it depends on the team, but some of the football in the eL is actually quite good. I pop along every few weeks to Cork City matches and it can be a mixed bag. Cork themselves usually try to play nice passing football, but some of the opposition can indeed be terrible, Bray being amongst the worst i've seen.

But regardless, if your sick of 1 division in 1 country, dont let that put you off all football, christ with the joys of the internet you can even start following Ligue 1 in france which is full of quality home grown talent.

Thanks for putting the people of North Wicklow/ South Dublin areas who don't support LOI off their local team altogether. What the hell has Bray being rubbish (in your view) got to do with this thread anyway. How many times have you seen Bray play this season? We might be having a bad patch at the moment but we have secured (almost) top flight football for next season. I wonder why the LOI have bad attendance levels with great comments like this:rolleyes:

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Thanks for putting the people of North Wicklow/ South Dublin areas who don't support LOI off their local team altogether.

If that comment is going to stop them from going we may as well give up now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Thanks for putting the people of North Wicklow/ South Dublin areas who don't support LOI off their local team altogether.

Bray are well able to do that themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Have I just misread this thread, or is much of it concerned with foreign players ruining the league, as if the EPL was our league and Irish players in it are not foreign? Is that a wind-up, or on the level? Do we really have to spell it out?

Incidentally. I'm all for foreign players. :eek: :p

Have to say, I think Bray do a great job given the resources they have, and the pathetic support given to their local club by the majority of the people of north Wicklow (and south-east Dublin). If you want football free of the evils of money, that's where you'll find it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi,

I have lost interest in soccer over the past two years, the main reasons being excessive wage-increases, cheating (e.g. diving & feigning injury), and - above all - the apparent spoilt nature that so-permeates young players entering the main stage. There are still some honest players out there, but the majority behave like spoilt brats.

I want to go back to the days when players were payed lower wages, and when foreigners didn't make up three-quarters or more of a team. Soccer is a wonderful sport, but it's being corrupted and spoilt by money. The sadistic part of me can't wait until the TV money that so-supports soccer at this moment in time collapses. However, the nurturing side of me realises that many people will suffer because of it. Certainly, things can't go on the way they are forever. It will all change eventually.

Kevin

I found myself in your predicament a few years ago.

Exactly as you describe.

I turned to the LoI.

It saved my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Hi,

Kevin
    Maybe you should have said where English soccer is headed , or football thats what they prefer it to be called so I hear
    foreigners have brought to the game the idea that cheating is an okay thing to do. I watched a documentary on Spanish football once, and a reputable player stated that youth players are 'trained' how to dive and basically use dirty tactics in order to 'get one over' on the opposition.

Kevin

You do know that English people are foreign too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The future:

European G-10 super league (with no relegation) and a withering away of real support for all other football which will be part-time with no access to European qualifiers.

Globally, people from Mayo to Mauritius will support 'their' G-10 team, although they may retain a vestigial affection (but not watch) for local teams in very much the same as a Liverpool fan from Tallaght will have some scornful affection for Sacred Heart FC.

G-1O teams will no longer play in their traditional cities of origin, but will relocate to one of the gulf-states, or perhaps relocate on a rota basis to chosen expanding markets. Crowds will be largely generated by CGI to enhance the television viewing experience. CGI will placate sponsor worries re: fans ruining product integrity with obscenities, or draping flags over hoardings.

All football will be pay-per-view.

International football will be an irrelevance, but may exist in Olympic form. Clubs and players will be richly compensated (and awarded preferential advertising opportunities) for allowing players to compete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This came up briefly in another thread.(you might like to talk to Estenban btw) .Theres no point in lieing to people and promising them world class , free flowing football with tons of super goals, because when they do go along and the reality might be getting pissed on , watching players humping the ball and haveing the one goal scored by a goal mouth scramble they are more likely to walk away because they have been misled.

Telling it like it is, that it's not a world class league with facilities to match is not going to drive people away that decide to give it a go, but people being severely let down by what they have been told they will experience will.

In short, people dont like to be lied too and and much more likely to stay and become regulars if all is above board.

As for top level football, it may go as above, all the big players in a big money league. How far away that is is anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

its like Soccer has merged with PI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Stekelly wrote: »
    Theres no point in lieing to people and promising them world class , free flowing football with tons of super goals
    Who promised that? Sky Sports?
    watching players humping the ball and haveing the one goal scored by a goal mouth scramble they are more likely to walk away because they have been misled.
    Sounds like you are talking about Liverpool.

Telling it like it is, that it's not a world class league with facilities to match is not going to drive people away that decide to give it a go, but people being severely let down by what they have been told they will experience will.
    Who said the LOI is a world class league with facilities to match? No LOI fan would tell anyone that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

and the reality might be getting pissed on , watching players humping the ball and haveing the one goal scored by a goal mouth scramble

dirk_kuyt_liverpool_203748a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I used to have a huge interest in Liverpool and all that malarky for many a year but a few years back I got sick of the "hype" of the whole EPL, seeing locals not able to get into matches, day trippers, no clue of the clubs they "follow" etc inflated ticket prices. Always used to goto Local matches and now I still keep an eye on how Liverpool do but for me I would sooner watch Longford play Kildare on a pissing wet evening than watch anything else. Meeting up with your mates, heading to the match a few drinks, roar and shout and maybe even sing ;) Celebrating an elusive homewin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Who promised that? Sky Sports?

Sounds like you are talking about Liverpool.

Who said the LOI is a world class league with facilities to match? No LOI fan would tell anyone that.

Jesus, defensive much? You really were waiting for something to jump on werent you? Read the post properly without your opinion of it being an attack on the EL

The poster was giving out that someone said Brfay were crap, but not because he doesnt think Bray are crap it was because he has some misguided belief that letting out the "secret" on the internet that Bray are crap will result in people actively staying away when they would otherwise maybe take a trip to a game and implying that only good things should be said re: the EL.

So climb down off you soapboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Hi,

Kevin
    I, like others in this thread, was in the same position only a few months ago.
    My one piece of advice is to start supporting your local LOI team. I started going to Shels matches about 3 months ago, and now my love for football has been rekindled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Soccer is a wonderful sport, but it's being corrupted and spoilt by money. The sadistic part of me can't wait until the TV money that so-supports soccer at this moment in time collapses. Certainly, things can't go on the way they are forever. It will all change eventually.

100% agree with you. In general football players get paid too much and the greed and business like football world is ruining the game. In fact in a few years from now you could see empty football stadiums even in the big leagues. For example Sunderland cannot fill their stadium and they are being backed up by property developers. That club is facing a red alert pretty soon.

Thats the great thing about the league of ireland. Its still real football, its just not glossed up by the business world.

UEFA should have brought in a home grown rule years ago to ensure each club has mostly home born and home grown palyers. Football has become a big business which has ruined it forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

CHD wrote: »
    Bray are well able to do that themselves.

I have read other Soccer threads with you slating Bray because they are not good enough when you have attended their home matches.Fair play, everybody has their opinion. When is the last time you went to a match? You cannot judge a team if you have not seen them in the last season or so.They are not a professional team, they survive on a tight budget and despite all their critics they stay up yet again. We have improved alot in the last few years and are no longer a yo-yo club. Also as I said in my last post we are going through a bad patch (last 6-8 games)but before that we we're playing really well gaining good results against the big teams. We don't need negitive comments like this as like all LOI clubs are trying to up their attendance levels by playing a decent brand of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I felt somewhat like the OP about a year ago. I used to be a huge Liverpool fan but over time became disillusioned with the Premiership. However I started going to Bohs games this season and find myself enjoying football again!

On the point of foreign players, I don't see it as a problem. I want to watch good football, I don't care which nationality it comes from.

It always makes me wonder how people can go like that. You say you were a huge liverpool fan and now you just dont care??

Were you one of those people who watch the big games and if there playing hull in an end of season game you wouldnt even bother? The ones who would ask "who the hell is insua?"

Yes there is far too much money involved and alot of footballers are greedy sods but I could NEVER turn my back and just say " oh im just disillusioned ".

Really annoys me to be honest. The same way people at the moment dont bother with the Irish team after stans reign of rubbish....wait till you see the bandwagon start if we do well under trappatoni. Sunny day supporters annoy me. Im off topic here sorry.

Ive no problem with foreigners in the league at all. When i see Robinho do crazy tricks it makes me love the game all the more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

joe123 wrote: »
    It always makes me wonder how people can go like that. You say you were a huge liverpool fan and now you just dont care??

Were you one of those people who watch the big games and if there playing hull in an end of season game you wouldnt even bother? The ones who would ask "who the hell is insua?"
    From the ages of about 8-15 i never missed a game if I could help it, If it wasn't on tv I'd be glued to teletext waiting for updates. I was on my knees screaming when Jerzy Dudek saved Shevchenko's penalty in the Champions league final. However I found myself getting bored with the Premier League, it was too damn predictable for me. They'd qualify for Europe too easily without any significant challenge for the Premiership and over time I found myself asking, what's the point?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

From the ages of about 8-15 i never missed a game if I could help it, If it wasn't on tv I'd be glued to teletext waiting for updates. I was on my knees screaming when Jerzy Dudek saved Shevchenko's penalty in the Champions league final. However I found myself getting bored with the Premier League, it was too damn predictable for me. They'd qualify for Europe too easily without any significant challenge for the Premiership and over time I found myself asking, what's the point?

......big thumbs down from me Im afraid. So basically when we put up a strong challenge for the premiership youll start supporting them again??? No offence but blah to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yes there is far too much money involved and alot of footballers are greedy sods but I could NEVER turn my back and just say " oh im just disillusioned ".

Sunny day supporters annoy me. Im off topic here sorry.

I can't speak for the OP, but for me there's a total lack of honesty in the EPL, among the clubs, players, the Association. There's no respect by or for clubs or players and none for the fan, who is just a cow to be milked.

The club I screamed for in the 70s/80s/90s is not the one that exists today, so it is easy to lose interest - unless all your club represents to you is bragging rights for trophies won at the expense of dignity, honest and credibility of sportsmanship.

Supporters who can't see the wood for the trees are as bad as "sunny day supporters" - blind faith in anything is sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I have really got bored with the soccer in the past few years, especially on TV

No longer subscribe to Sky Sports, can’t remember the last time I made an effort to sit down to watch a non-international game from start to finish.

And I have never really got into the CL group stages, far too many games if you ask me.

I just find it far too predictable, the TV companies are trying to get us excited about who will come 4th and 5th in the Premiership, that is sad.

Having said that I do however like to listen to the premiership on Today FM on a Saturday and if I am watching TV on a Saturday afternoon I will have Gillett Soccer Saturday on, maybe it’s because Jeff Sterling is so good and that give lots of time to non top flight games as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gustavo wrote: »
    Maybe you should have said where English soccer is headed , or football thats what they prefer it to be called so I hear

You do know that English people are foreign too ?

not in england they're not, not just yet anyway:o

OP. you have obviously been watching too much premiership football, or even just watching too much Manchelarsepool type football (Please, less of the "S" word, it makes me cringe).

There are 92 teams in the English league, 88 of which have an up and down season every season. thei fans are local, support the team because their Dad does and can actually name some of the clubs legends.

You support a club because that is what it is, not a theatre show, a movie or a rock concert, it is a long term involvement.

Look at manchester City at the moment, they are about to become richer than God. Now, do youthink Man City fans that have just started supporting them appreciate a player like Robinho as much as those fans who bought season tickets when they got relegated from division 1? I will gaurantee you they will not, because the hard times are what make the good times more enjoyable.

If you actually follow a club that has this sort of history, you will appreciate it a lot more.

• Advertisement

If you actually follow a club that has this sort of history, you will appreciate it a lot more.
    Amen to that Fred.

Whats the story about Portsmouth having huge money problems at the mo Fred? I thought that that only happened in league of Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

bohsman wrote: »
    Are you talking about Kildare County here? Id advise you to go along to a few games otherwise, see how the other side lives, you might enjoy it. Serious suggestion by the way.

Yes, get down to an EL game;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

bohsman wrote: »
    Whats the story about Portsmouth having huge money problems at the mo Fred? I thought that that only happened in league of Ireland???

The club now has a policy of not talking to the press and the owner is very secretive, so the tabloids make up their own stories:rolleyes:

I don't think things are rosy, but the plans to build a new training ground and acedemy are going ahead, as is the planning permission for a new ground

Tabloids do like inventing stories, I thought Sky didnt allow it in the premiership tho, the best one Ive seen is the one where Swedish loyalists fought with rovers fans, they even showed a random picture of an Orange order flag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

......big thumbs down from me Im afraid. So basically when we put up a strong challenge for the premiership youll start supporting them again??? No offence but blah to you.

Don't say we.

You are no part of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I suspect live football isn't for you my friend. Lacrosse and daisy chains might be a bit less lively.

Seems like you don't actually know what lacrosse is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2AQHKHccQ

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, because i find it very interesting.

Growing up and as a teenager, I was a huge Liverpool fan. Watched every game I could, even watched scrambled Sky Sports, posters on the wall, magazines, books etc. Basically, like most football fans, my moods during the week would be determined by the results on the pitch.

But then, it seemed real life got in the way. I went to college and eventually came to Canada, and for whatever reason, football just didn't seem important. Obviously, being in Canada didn't help. There was barely any coverage and nobody here (newspapers/TV/people) talking about it. That's changed in the last couple of years with Setanta coming in and showing a ****load of games.

So since last season, I've been making the effort to watch as much English football as I can (never really cared for the other leagues) and I enjoy it, but it still never feels the same. If Liverpool lose, I just think 'oh well'. And if I miss a game, it's not a huge deal. It saddens me a little actually.

I don't know if all of this due to all the money in the game now or not. Certainly I see teams knocking down their historic memory filled stadiums in favour of new bigger places where they can make more money by squeezing more people in, and I don't like it. I've never really liked the Champions League concept. It lost much of its meaning for me when it's being contested by teams such as the #4 team in England and the #3 team in Italy and so on. I would've preferred a format where only the champions from every UEFA country compete. But then, there's no money to be made from Drogheda vs. S.S. Murata.

Still, there are things to love about football. Last year's FA Cup was a breath of fresh air. And having caught a few Championship games this season, I'd say that it has more exciting matches than the Premier League. Charlton's 4-2 win over Reading was the best match I've watched this season. I'd recommend it to the OP because the league is also full of British/Irish players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

No, I'd recommend league of ireland because he can then actually watch pro football live.

Why should he care that there is British players in Championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Why should he care that there is British players in Championship?

I don't know. Ask him why he cares.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sweet mother of Jebus, somebody should cover you in bubble wrap. Better yet, put you in a hermetically sealed ball so that you can't stub your toe, or graze your knees, or hear the bad men say bold words.

Have you ever watched lacrosse?

Advertisement