Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does This System Exist?

• 30-09-2008 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Folks,

I'm doing my dissertation this year, and I would like to focus on emergency service / doctor on duty call outs. I’ve done a bit of thinking about it and I reckon that a satnav system which would let emergency services know where the emergency service vehicle is at any time to route the nearest. I know technology which radio transmitters has been in use for years, but I'm looking for a very cheap, scaled down version for use in private EMT ambulances and similar vehicles. So here’s my question;

Is there a satnav which will send current gps data over the gsm network?

I’ve scoured the net and I haven’t come across anything. All the device needs to do is transmit the current coordinates about every 5seconds or so. These coordinates will then be used to track the vehicle. Should there be a request, the dispatching software will automatically alert the vehicle, and send the coordinates which would show up as a pinpoint on the satnav. Simple enough in theory!

Let me know your thoughts

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

stalker wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm doing my dissertation this year, and I would like to focus on emergency service / doctor on duty call outs. I’ve done a bit of thinking about it and I reckon that a satnav system which would let emergency services know where the emergency service vehicle is at any time to route the nearest. I know technology which radio transmitters has been in use for years, but I'm looking for a very cheap, scaled down version for use in private EMT ambulances and similar vehicles. So here’s my question;

Is there a satnav which will send current gps data over the gsm network?

I’ve scoured the net and I haven’t come across anything. All the device needs to do is transmit the current coordinates about every 5seconds or so. These coordinates will then be used to track the vehicle. Should there be a request, the dispatching software will automatically alert the vehicle, and send the coordinates which would show up as a pinpoint on the satnav. Simple enough in theory!

Let me know your thoughts

Steve
    You're having a laugh Steve? There are hundreds if not thousands of examples of what you've just described.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=gps-tracking+cellular-modem&btnG=Search&meta=

Are you sure you "scoured the net"? If you're doing a dissertation, you have to at least try to do some of the work yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes it does exist. Google "E-911" or enhanced 911.

Or look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Next time you see a taxi which is a member of one of the radio co-ops, take a look in the back window, chances are you'll see a GPS receiver. the dispatcher can see the location of all the taxis and whether they're engaged or not, that allows them to quickly call up a taxi that's in the area and which is free.

Since that technology is already in use, you might also look at the possibility of fitting GPS trackers to buses so that a display on a bus stop can give you an estimate of when the next bus will probably arrive and people could also text from mobile phones to see when the next bus is due to pass by their local bus stop, an example of location based services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

coylemj wrote: »
    Next time you see a taxi which is a member of one of the radio co-ops, take a look in the back window, chances are you'll see a GPS receiver. the dispatcher can see the location of all the taxis and whether they're engaged or not, that allows them to quickly call up a taxi that's in the area and which is free.

Since that technology is already in use, you might also look at the possibility of fitting GPS trackers to buses so that a display on a bus stop can give you an estimate of when the next bus will probably arrive and people could also text from mobile phones to see when the next bus is due to pass by their local bus stop, an example of location based services.

Nice Idea re the bus! On the taxi front, the system used to use three radio masts and use the triangulation of the signal from the three to work out where the cab is for the controller, maybe they have moved on to GPS but I doubt it due to running costs.

MC

Like I said, there are dozens of taxis out there using GPS. Just typing 'dublin gps taxi' into Google throws up the fact that National Radio Cabs, Blue Cabs and Xpert are all using GPS........

http://www.radiocabs.ie/about.html
    http://www.bluecabs.ie/company.htm
    http://www.xperttaxis.com/about-xpert-taxi-company-dublin.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jonny2shoes

Try a company called Mobisoft. (google)

I don't think Stalker cares about the precise solution, it's just the concept he's covering since it's for a dissertation.

The Dublin taxi companies seem to use Raywood GPS.

Advertisement