Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Percolation problem...help!!!!

• 30-09-2008 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

House built in 2000. Perculation test no problem passed without a glitch. We put in a bio - unit with perculation area. All went fine until last year, my perculation area doesn't seem to be working. There are three perculation pipes running in a fan shape from a central manhole they're 22ft long. I opened a trench at the end and cleared the pipes so they appear to be working ok now, alas there doesn't seem to be any soakage. I don't understand. Help!!!! Any ideas as to how I might be able to solve this problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

pjammer wrote: »
    House built in 2000. Perculation test no problem passed without a glitch. We put in a bio - unit with perculation area. All went fine until last year, my perculation area doesn't seem to be working. There are three perculation pipes running in a fan shape from a central manhole they're 22ft long. I opened a trench at the end and cleared the pipes so they appear to be working ok now, alas there doesn't seem to be any soakage. I don't understand. Help!!!! Any ideas as to how I might be able to solve this problem.

When the percolation test passed without a problem, what reault did it yield and what percolation piping length was recommended by the tester?

Where did you get the configuration for the percolation area? Fan shape? Your total percolation piping length seems to be 18.5m the minimum recommendation in the year 2000 would have been 30m, obviously depending on results of perc test.

Your site layout plan should have left you with room for a reserve percolation area.

Get a local Arch, or Tech to have a look at it with you, and recommend a solution. I am amazed 18.5m got you through 8 years.

A few points spring to my mind in this case and I would be interested to know:
    1. did you need to certify the system to the LA as part of a planning condition?
    2. did you have supervision for your build in the first place, if so, was it in stages or constant?
    3. do you have a Certificate of Compliance for your premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pjammer

In reply to your questions,
    1. Yes I did have to certify it with a LA

2. The build was supervised in stages

3. Certificate of compliance this I don't remember I'll have to check.

The layout of the perculation area was on a plan included with my plan layout for my house. All specs listed.
    Do you have any ideas as to how I might solve my problem? What I'm thinking of doing is digging a trench 30-40ft long and 3ft wide and linking it to the other trench filling them both with sand and stone with a perculation pipe connecting them. What do you think?:confused:

Thanks for the support....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Be careful, ad hoc solutions may appear to work in the short term but you may be creating more trouble for yourself in the long run. eg., if you put in the trench you mentioned it is very little on its own and will only delay what you need to do now and may cost you more in wasted materials and clean up time.

It looks as though you need to put in the reserve percolation area at this stage. The site layout plan you mentioned should show you where to put it. It is important that the reserve percolation area is constructed properly and I would say you should increase the trench/perc piping length to say 5 No. lengths of 19m, ask a local experts advice please.

I think a lot of people don't realise that the Percolation Area is like any other working element on a premises. It has a finite lifespan and may need maintanance from time to time, hence the requirement for a reserve area on most sites.

Advertisement