Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless printer/scanner/copier/fax

• 30-09-2008 8:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    So after my Canon Canon MP370 decided to stop printing black properly, I think I'll just have to get a new "All In One".

I was happy with the quality of the Canon MP370 and don't really need anything better quality wise, but I'd like a printer that is cheap to buy ink for and the ink wont dry up too quick from non use for a couple of weeks at a time.

I'd also like if I could get a cheap enough wireless "all in one" because the printer will be in a different room as to where I use the computer so it'll save some hassle. I wouldn't want to spend too much extra on this convenience. I saw this device which looks like you can connect any (?) printer wirelessly which I could just get instead if it's compatible with any printer. This means I can use it for any other printer in the future if the new one decides to break down in a few months too. At €45 it's about what I'd be willing to spend on making printing wireless. I wonder can it scan wirelessly too?

I researched before and Canon seemed to be the recommended brand for quality/price/ink costs etc so I'd be happy to go with them again even after my MP370 just stopped printing properly out of the blue.

Would appreciate any advice as to what I should get :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Have a look at this it might help with fixing the canon.

Otherwise I have the "wired" version of this Lexmark wireless all in one printer for €143. I find it very good for light home office work.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a go at that thing with the canon, I didn't get any dirty ink report though so not sure if it's going to help, but I did see the pad thing he was talking about so I'll have another look :)

Does anyone know, with a wireless printer/scanner etc, is printing the only thing you can do wirelessly, or could you scan aswell?

cormie wrote: »
    Does anyone know, with a wireless printer/scanner etc, is printing the only thing you can do wirelessly, or could you scan aswell?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but the wireless link just replaces the cable between your PC and the printer, so the printer/scanner/fax will do evertything the same as if it were a normal one, it's just the data is transfered by a radio link rather than through a cable.

Sorry probably not very well explained but hopefully uou get the drift!:o

invest4deepvalue.com

You explained it fine, thanks :)

That's cool anyway, would have been a bit of a pain if it could only print wirelessly but I'd still have to go through all the effort to get a scan.

Narrowed it down to the following three anyway:

http://www.canon.ie/for_home/compare_products/loadcomparator.asp?prod=2921B006AA;1452B006;2186B009;&lang=UK&country=UK&dir=/for_home/product_finder/multifunctionals/inkjet/

Prices from Elara are much cheaper than stated there:
    MP620 - €141.57
    MP600R - €193.60
    MX700 - €185.13

Can anyone see the main reasons that the one with the fax (MX700) is cheaper than the one without the fax (MP600R)?

I see they have different wireless capabilities and the MP600R has bluetooth aswell (wouldn't really use that), but as far as WIFI goes, are they both the same? There's a lot more written in the MP600R's connection column than the MX700. Do you need to plug them both in directly to a router with an ethernet cable I wonder?

• Advertisement

Ok, so it seems the MP600R can connect to a WiFi network and then share among the computers but the MX700 needs to be connected to ethernet.

cormie wrote: »
    Ok, so it seems the MP600R can connect to a WiFi network and then share among the computers but the MX700 needs to be connected to ethernet.

Where's your wireless hub/modem ? If it's in the room where you want to keep the printer you could connect the MX700 by cable to the hub and then use it from any PC on the wireless network.

invest4deepvalue.com

I'm using my friends wifi, he's just above me so I can get the signal no probs. Would be a bit of a pain to have to go up there every time to get my print out/scan though. I suppose it's down to whether or not I'll use the fax at all.

Still haven't got this sorted (see I don't need to print stuff that often evidently ;)) but I see the MP600R is now out of stock on Elara and doesn't seem to be available elsewhere either locally. Wonder has it been replaced by some new models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Cormie, there is a Canon wireless All-in-One in Tesco at the moment. I think its about €59 (at half price), can't remember the model but might be worth a look.

• Advertisement

Really? Jeez thanks a lot for that, must pop in for a look! :) If anyone knows the model number please let me know!

Let me know if you can't find it. We here in Sligo have "The Magic Tesco", ours generally tends to sell out of these offers later than everywhere else. I could send it on if you've no luck near you.

Anyone know if the compatible cartridges for Canon are worth a try? Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot for the offer :) There's 3 Tescos in close enough proximity to me so I'll have a wander about today and report back. It was definitely Wireless anyway? :)

Hi Sueme, had a look in my local Tesco and all I could find was a Lexmark wireless printer for 59 and then a HP all in one (not wireless) for 49. Was the one you saw definitely a wireless all in one and definitely Canon? :)

I thought it was a Canon. Definitely not a Lexmark, as I hate them, so that would have registered! :o I probably won't get in there till Tuesday now, but if you want to give them a ring and see (ask for Hardware upstairs) they might put it aside for you and I could pick it up then, if you like. Aren't I the helpful strange internet lady! :p

Just rang Tesco Sligo and they said the only ones they have are the HP for 49, and a Lexmark for 39 and another Lexmark for 59 :o Thanks very much for the offer though :)

I think while I'm in the market, I may as well just buy one with a fax too , just a pity the MX Canon one isn't Wifi, it'd be perfect otherwise. Unless I could get a wireless receiver to plug into it with the ethernet? Hmm..

Oh well, sorry for the mis-information. Good luck with it, think I'll go for the HP myself.

Ah cool stuff, just saw the MX700 (printer/copier/scanner/fax) is €20 cheaper on Dabs, so €156 total.

Now would somebody be able to tell me, if the connection for this reads:
    PC Connectivity

PC Connection
    Ethernet 10 Base-T/100 Base-TX
    Hi-Speed USB

PC Connection Availability
    Yes

This means I have to have it connected to a router with an ethernet cable for it to print wirelessly. Unfortunately, my router is in my friends house just above me, so is there some kind of wireless receiver I can get that will pick up the wireless signal and then let the printer connect to it via ethernet and act as a router itself?

Would appreciate any feedback as if so, I think I'll buy this pronto :)

After a bit more research, seems the MX700 has a good few problems. I checked out reviews on the MP620 and in comparison to to the MP600R, it seems to only be lacking CD printing and something else I can't remember, so not important. Prints a few more pages per cartridge, but cartridges are more expensive in the ratio of price-pages. Both printers have very good "expert" and "user" reviews. It doesn't have fax but I only need this once in a blue moon and I think it's becoming less of a necessity these days anyway. Plus it's the cheapest of the lot :)

• Advertisement

Ended up getting the MP620 from microaid.ie for €128 collected which is the cheapest I found it for anywhere. Have just finished setting it up and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. It did take a while, but I didn't run into any problems thankfully.

It's so handy not having to disconnect everything and bring my laptop into the other room and have to connect everything up to then print it. All I have to do is turn on the printer and I can do everything from the next room, it's cool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

could you tell me if the mp620 scans wirelessly?im looking to buy a wifi printer scanner that scans over wifi, and there doesnt seem to be any one on the net...

It does indeed :) very handy!

How is it on inks Cormie?

Seems like you can get high capacity genuine cartridges on ebay pretty cheap.

My printer died yesterday and I'm thinking of getting the wired version of your printer the MP-540

Cheers D-M

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Do-more wrote: »

My printer died yesterday and I'm thinking of getting the wired version of your printer the MP-540

Cheers D-M

What did you get in the end?

Do-more wrote: »

Cheers D-M

Only saw this now! It's pretty good on Ink I suppose as I haven't had to replace any cartridge yet and as far as I know, they don't come full when you buy it? I've printed off a few things so far. No crazy big photos or anything like that. Just a few documents every 2 weeks or so.

Sneachta wrote: »
    What did you get in the end?

Got the MP540 from Microaid.ie at the time it was about €85 but seems to have gone up now to €102 + delivery or collect in Swords. It was €125 in Argos at the time not sure what it is there now.

Similar story to Cormie, it doesn't do a lot at present but seems to be OK on ink.

But you'd probably be better finding a heavy user to be sure....

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement