Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License

Options
  • 30-09-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

to all of you who don't have one, the inspector is in the Dun Laoghaire area this week................

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

remember kids, always have a tv licence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

cjmcork wrote: »
    to all of you who don't have one, the inspector is in the Dun Laoghaire area this week................
    I dont think that is very responsible of you tipping people of about the posibility of them geting caught in breaking the law.(so nobody in Dun Laoghaire open your front door this week)

I meant to add,the above paragraph is what the PC bregade would have posted,only i did it first..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thetyreman wrote: »
    I dont think that is very responsible of you tipping people of about the posibility of them geting caught in breaking the law.

What are they going to do? Move their house?

It's not like a checkpoint you can drive around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cjmcork wrote: »

Have they got the triangulation, sponger-tracking van? We're all fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

thetyreman wrote: »
    I dont think that is very responsible of you tipping people of about the posibility of them geting caught in breaking the law.(so nobody in Dun Laoghaire open your front door this week)

I meant to add,the above paragraph is what the PC bregade would have posted,only i did it first..

it was to tell people to get out and buy one cos you'll always get caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Many thanks cjmcork, we got ours yesteday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Cmon lads, pay up. Look at the autumn line-up on RTE, superb value, and who would want to see poor gerry Ryan go hungry?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

err......they dont knock on doors anymore because the system is computerised - they send letters

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

spadder wrote: »
    Cmon lads, pay up. Look at the autumn line-up on RTE, superb value, and who would want to see poor gerry Ryan go hungary?

pretty sure everyone would like to see him 'go Hungary'. Maybe he can go somewhere even further away than eastern europe though?

Freudian spelling mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Just wantiing to point out that we have the only national broadcaster in Europe that not only gets licence fees, but also sells adverts and gets programmes sponsored.

While i'm at it, the licence fee is supposed to be for the production of content and most of the stuff thats on RTE is bought in. Some quality stuff like Prison Break, but mainly trash (check just now - whatever time you read this ther'll be trash on! :() such as X-Factor, The making of X factor, Big Brother, soapstars on ice, b-rate tv 'stars' singing et al.

We all have to have one, whether we watch TV or not. Personally I rarely watch TV - on the basis of RTE mainly screening sh!te. I use it for DVD's and the odd console game. The only time they put on a decent movie is a sat night - when the people who would watch it are in the pub, then on the sunday night when those people are staying in..... Nothing.

Gits.

(Raant over)

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    Just wantiing to point out that we have the only national broadcaster in Europe that not only gets licence fees, but also sells adverts and gets programmes sponsored.

While i'm at it, the licence fee is supposed to be for the production of content and most of the stuff thats on RTE is bought in. Some quality stuff like Prison Break, but mainly trash (check just now - whatever time you read this ther'll be trash on! :() such as X-Factor, The making of X factor, Big Brother, soapstars on ice, b-rate tv 'stars' singing et al.

We all have to have one, whether we watch TV or not. Personally I rarely watch TV - on the basis of RTE mainly screening sh!te. I use it for DVD's and the odd console game. The only time they put on a decent movie is a sat night - when the people who would watch it are in the pub, then on the sunday night when those people are staying in..... Nothing.

Gits.

(Raant over)

:confused: rants are usually better if the poster has the first idea what they are talking abut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

copacetic wrote: »
    :confused: rants are usually better if the poster has the first idea what they are talking abut.
    Oi, no personal abuse!

Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

To my knowledge, both Germany and Holland have an equivalent of a television licence, and both have adverts too. There may well be more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

copacetic wrote: »
    Maybe he can go somewhere even further away than eastern europe though?

Agreed. Jupiter would suffice.

stovelid wrote: »
    Agreed. Jupiter would suffice.

or Uranus would suit him well, the gimp

Alun wrote: »
    To my knowledge, both Germany and Holland have an equivalent of a television licence, and both have adverts too. There may well be more.

Italy also. Apologies Ronny, I thought it was obvious to everyone how little AFC knew. Totally wrong about western europe PSBs, and listing a pile of shows RTE have never shown. So basically the whole post was factually wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Fair enough. I wasn't aware those countries had the dual funding system as I remembered reading previously that it was only Ireland. I conceed being wrong, but there was no absolutely no need to insult me copacetic, all you needed to do was inform me that I was wrong (which I was).

As for the programmes, I was just using example programme names of big name shows (that are bought in for Irish terrestrial transmission) and the crap that is shown on our terrestrial TV, as well as some made up to spoof the crap that's there. I'm sure there neither is nor ever will be a programme actually called "b-rate tv 'stars' singing", although at some point a programme with that content will no doubt be made!
    Regarding channel - I said I rarely watch TV anymore due to the abundance of crap on it, so how the hell then would I remember whether something is on TV3 or an RTE channel? Maybe it is TV3 that puts out all the rubbish, I'll assume then that it is. Anyway, i'll stop posting rants when half-cut and half-hungover and let the thread get back on topic.

I conceed being wrong, but there was no absolutely no need to insult me copacetic, all you needed to do was inform me that I was wrong (which I was).

I didn't insult you, I pointed out you didn't have a clue what you were talking about in that post, which you have just admitted.
    I said I rarely watch TV anymore due to the abundance of crap on it, so how the hell then would I remember whether something is on TV3 or an RTE channel?

I dunno how you would remember, why the hell would you claim that RTE is using your license fee to buy these shows if you can't remember?

As apparently you want to be set straight, I think x-factor may have been bought by tv3, big brother was never shown on any Irish channel.

Advertisement