Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to handle 1gig - 2gig images

Options
  • 30-09-2008 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

In my company we run some adverts and i'm in charge of making them.
    Now one of our main product companys (Pioneer) Sent me some new images for there in products... Some of the images are 1gig and 2gig in size. We are not a multi media/graphics company and dont have massive PC's to handle this size graphics.. My PC as it is is the best in the companys for the graphics reason,

I've talked to the IT guys and they want me to try find out what spec of PC would be needed to open and edit these images with not to much lag.

It's rare we get images in of this size. Normally they are 100MB-200MB in size.

So guys do i need a monster of a machine to open these... My company wont spend massive loads of money on a new PC for me. So whats my choices

Is it all about the RAM/Processor?

Any info would be great
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

What file format at they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

TIF,

I've given up on them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They must be very high resolution. If you could al least open and resize them then you would be away after a bit of painful waiting for the resize.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i got 1 of them re-sized lol.. wasnt as bad as i thought.. and i got the layout design for the mag so I'm out of the woods for now lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tara45

Use gimp. You can change the mem allocation limit I believe ...

By default they'll be opened up at a fraction of their real size ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement