Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dear Diary Part Deux: The Crossover

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

congrats, you'll have bodyweight snatch before long from the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Ah I'm a fair few months off that mark!! bw c&j should come soon enough though ;)

Wednesday 28/01/09
    OH squat 15 x 4 x 2, 25 x 3
    Snatch jumps 25 x 4, 30 x 4 x 2
    Hang sn 30 x 2, 33 x 2, 35 x 2
    Snatch 38, 40, 43, 45 x 1 x 4
    FS 35 x 5 x 2
    Hang clean 45 x 2, 50 x 2
    Clean 53, 56, 59
    Squat 60 x 5, 70 x 4, 80 x 3, 90 x 2

Took it fairly handy this evening, I was shattered after only getting ~ 3 hrs sleep last night :( Still happy enough though, clean technique is looking solid and hte snatches were a breeze.

Friday 30/01/09
    OH squat 15 x 4 x 2, 25 x 4
    Snatch jumps 25 x 4, 30 x 4 x 2
    Power snatch 30 x 3, 33 x 3, 35 x 3 x 3
    Jerk Dips 25 x 5 x 2
    Jerk catches 25 x 5 x 2
    Split Jerk 35 x 3 x 2
    Front squat 35 x 5 x 2
    2Cl/1Jk 40 x 1, 45 x 1, 50 x 1
    C&J 54, 57, 60, 63, 65 (PB), 67 x 0

Little disappointed I didn't get the 67 C&J - it's definitely in me, but on my first attempt I had the bar too far away from me and when I got it into the FS position the LHS was a little far down on my shoulder, I let my elbows drop and I couldn't kep control it.

Still, got the 65kg PB so all is not lost :D Elbows/ shoulders feeling fairly used and achy, going to have to keep an eye on them and rest up over the next few sessions (all will be light, backing off now until comp next week).

Saturday 31/01/09
    OH squat 15 x 4 x 4, 25 x 4
    Snatch jumps 25 x 4 x 2, 30 x 4 x 3
    Power snatch 30 x 3 x 5
    Jerk Dips 30 x 5 x 3
    Jerk catches 30 x 5 x 3
    Split Jerk 30 x 3 x 5
    Front squat 30 x 5 x 5
    Squats 60 x 5, 70 x 4, 80 x 3 x 2

Quick light back-off session to finish off the week.

Pre-comp week

Monday 02/02/09
    OH squat 15 x 4 x 3
    Snatch jumps 25 x 4 x 3
    Hang Snatch 30 x 2, 33 x 2
    Snatch 35, 38, 40, 42
    Jerk Dips 25 x 5 x 3
    Jerk catches 25 x 5 x 3
    Split Jerk 30 x 3 x 3
    Jerk 45, 50, 54

Bleurgh. My right shoulder is giving me shit - I think it's overcompensating for my left hand shoulder being in ribbons last week :o Was meant to work up to ~ 60kg jerks but I just couldn't manage it. The weight was liight but the shoulder wasn't holding up.

Don't really know what I'll do now - was meant to train Wed & Thurs but I don't want to tempt fate. Hmmm... decisions....

• Advertisement

Some recent videos:

Monday 26/01/09 50kg Snatch

Friday 30/01/09 65kg Clean & Jerk

Note in the C& J above how much I'm leaning forward on the front squat? This needs some serious work - at maximal weight it causes me to lose the bar in the deep FS position even though I'm well capable of elevating it. By and large this is as a result of me holding the bar too far away from me.

Was meant to be going for a light training session tonight but my shoulders feel fatigued and heavy so I'm going to leave it, there's no point jeopardising Saturday's performance for it. It's hard to step back like that before a competition, in your head you want to just keep going, going, going to try to get some last minute improvements in.

Still, I'm slowly but surely learning the art of patience with these matters :rolleyes: :p

Thursday 05/02/09
    OH squat 20 x 4 x 4
    Snatch jumps 20 x 4 x 4
    Jerk Dips 20 x 5 x 4
    Jerk catches 20 x 5 x 4
    Split Jerk 20 x 3 x 4

One last very quick, very light warm-up session before Saturday's competition. My arms have been giving me grief all week and by Tuesday the pain in my shoulders had begun migrating down towards my elbows confirming my suspicions that this was the same ailment I had a few months ago - nerve tension. 'Nowt I can do with it other than rest it. Not such an easy ask when it's the week pre-comp though :rolleyes:

Metnally I had to do a quick session - a 5 day gap between the last (disappointing) training day and comp day is too much, and I just wanted to have a bar in my hands to get some confidence back. It turned out to be a very positive session and we pinpointed a major weakness in my jerk that would very much explain why I've been finding max. weights difficult in the last few weeks: I'm letting my elbows drop too much in the jerk dip . A simple thing, but makes a huge difference. We did some work on it and I have a better groove with it now.

I've been accused of being quite the drama-queen in the run up to events... and to be honest that's not entirely an inaccurate summation :o As I've gotten older and (moderately) wiser though I've realised that all that stressing and faffing about is nothing but a big ol' waste of energy, and instead of agonising over tomorrow comp, I'm really looking forward to having a fun day. There's a time and place for tension, and goodness knows nervous energy and adrenaline can be your bestest friend in the whole world on comp day, but I'll reserve that kind of excitement for the Nationals.

All in all I'm looking forward to tomorrow: it'll be an early start as we're driving to Limerick first thing, but I'm a good traveller and I'll be quite happy to sit back and watch the view. Planning on 41/42 and 61/62 openers and we'll play it by ear from there.

Hopefully I'll report back over the weekend with good news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

g'em wrote: »
    Thursday 05/02/09
    OH squat 20 x 4 x 4
    Snatch jumps 20 x 4 x 4
    Jerk Dips 20 x 5 x 4
    Jerk catches 20 x 5 x 4
    Split Jerk 20 x 3 x 4

One last very quick, very light warm-up session before Saturday's competition. My arms have been giving me grief all week and by Tuesday the pain in my shoulders had begun migrating down towards my elbows confirming my suspicions that this was the same ailment I had a few months ago - nerve tension. 'Nowt I can do with it other than rest it. Not such an easy ask when it's the week pre-comp though :rolleyes:

Metnally I had to do a quick session - a 5 day gap between the last (disappointing) training day and comp day is too much, and I just wanted to have a bar in my hands to get some confidence back. It turned out to be a very positive session and we pinpointed a major weakness in my jerk that would very much explain why I've been finding max. weights difficult in the last few weeks: I'm letting my elbows drop too much in the jerk dip . A simple thing, but makes a huge difference. We did some work on it and I have a better groove with it now.

I've been accused of being quite the drama-queen in the run up to events... and to be honest that's not entirely an inaccurate summation :o As I've gotten older and (moderately) wiser though I've realised that all that stressing and faffing about is nothing but a big ol' waste of energy, and instead of agonising over tomorrow comp, I'm really looking forward to having a fun day. There's a time and place for tension, and goodness knows nervous energy and adrenaline can be your bestest friend in the whole world on comp day, but I'll reserve that kind of excitement for the Nationals.

All in all I'm looking forward to tomorrow: it'll be an early start as we're driving to Limerick first thing, but I'm a good traveller and I'll be quite happy to sit back and watch the view. Planning on 41/42 and 61/62 openers and we'll play it by ear from there.

Hopefully I'll report back over the weekend with good news :)

Best of luck!:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good luck in the comp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

See you tommorow Gem!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

Good Luck gem !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Good luck g'em, don't let nerves get to u and don't rush thru, think you mite be bending your arms a little to quickly a little early on the c&j (i'm sure there is better wording for that but my brain is fried at the moment)...and remember drive them elbows up, will get the extra kg! Best of luck and take vids of everyone, have a few mates their so wanna see them in action :)

See you tommorow Gem!!!!
    Looking forward to it!
    d-gal wrote: »
    Good luck g'em, don't let nerves get to u and don't rush thru, think you mite be bending your arms a little to quickly a little early on the c&j (i'm sure there is better wording for that but my brain is fried at the moment)...and remember drive them elbows up, will get the extra kg!
    Makes sense, thanks for spotting that! Will defintiely try and take lots of videos, hopefully there'll be a good crowd there.

Thanks everyone :)

Good luck G'em, looking forward to the vids. Have fun too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

+1 Viel gluck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Anyone know how she got on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

saw the snatches think it was a 46 k opener, 49 second attempt and 51 on the third (not sure) very strong under all three, just a slight press out on the 3rd

saw the snatches think it was a 46 k opener, 49 second attempt and 51 on the third (not sure) very strong under all three, just a slight press out on the 3rd

Spot on, and thank you!!

Saturday 07/02/09 – Munster Open, University of Limerick

Snatch – 46, 49, 51
    Clean & Jerk – 60, 64, 66

A great day was had, and a real learning curve of a day at that. It was an early start and we got on the road to Limerick just after 8 this morning – it’s a good thing I’m an early bird by nature! Weigh-in was at 11am and I came in at a nice, neat 73.4kg – All-Bran all week and taking dandelion root (a natural mild diuretic) for the last few days ensured that I had relatively stress-free pre-comp weight management (it’s amazing to think that this time last year I struggled to weigh in <80kg at the IDFPA nationals!!). I was in the second round of lifters and didn’t get on the platform until 2.30pm – I’d rather get on the platform and JFL asap but whatchagonnado.

The snatch felt lovely and comfortable – I missed an easy couple of warm ups but that was down to over-extending with the light weight and the bar fell behind me. I got unlucky to have the 51kg disallowed – it went up easy but I did press it out slightly and I got 2 reds and white; on a luckier day I could have had it passed ;) Still, I know I have it in the bag and fcuk it, I’ll be looking for a minimum of 55kg at the Nationals in April.

The C&J was a little more difficult, and I was tired and unfortunately a little dehydrated during the warm-up. Oly lifting comps are different to PLing comps in that all the lifters don’t take turns at each attempt – instead the lifter sequence is determined by the bar weight. Ii was the only woman at the comp and the lightest lifter in my group so I had to do all my lifts back-to-back with only a 2 min rest between each one. This didn’t bother me too much in previous comps or in the snatch, but it really made a big difference today. I could have done with a decent 10 minute break between the 64 and 66 lifts.

Oh, and just to really throw me on the last lift a mobile phone went off right as I was about to pull it – I had to release the bar and re-set myself, but my focus had been shot by then. I know it’s something I’ll have to get used to, but it was a pita still an’ all.

I’m actually quite glad to have missed two of my lifts – at the Connaught Open and the Hercs’ Club Championships I got 6/6 in both. The thing is though, there’s only so much you can learn when everything goes right. Instead today I’ve learnt a few lessons about focus and how to deal with comp volume and it’s given me a healthy and welcome ass-kick to bring my A-game to the nationals in two months’ time.

And incase the above is tl;dr for anyone – end result: great comp, great fun, great lifters, great lessons learnt, great result – two new comp PBs, a new total and two new National Records. W00t!!

Gem a pleasure to have met you today...great lifting!!! were just home after tyding up now :(

saw u miss a couple of those snatches in the warm-up, was up in the viewing gallery with the ex- Miss L (haha), when u dropped one behind with what was basicaly a shoulder dislocation and she nearly shat herself!! very funny

• Advertisement

Gem a pleasure to have met you today...great lifting!!! were just home after tyding up now :(
    Holy moly, that's a lot of cleaning up time!! Absolutely fantastic to meet you too, and thanks so much for everything today - the set-up was really excellent (even if the platform did threaten to crack underneath us at one point :p) and I thoroughly enjoyed the day. First-class loading, muchos grassy-arses!!
    saw u miss a couple of those snatches in the warm-up, was up in the viewing gallery with the ex- Miss L (haha), when u dropped one behind with what was basicaly a shoulder dislocation and she nearly shat herself!! very funny
    LOL!! Yeah, I seem to have fairly flexible shoulders that allow me to do that without much bother and no pain. If you're the person I think I remember seeing I thought to myself "well there's a powerlifter if ever I saw one!" Grey hat/ top? Oh and next time say hi!!

hahaha:D ya grey top navy hat!!

Was drifter the dude in jeans wearin cons that was setting up the platform??

Good to hear you were happy with the days lifting, congrats. Onwards and upwards to the nationals then? Make boards proud! :p

hahaha:D ya grey top navy hat!!

Was drifter the dude in jeans wearin cons that was setting up the platform??

that would be me! spotted you as well up on the balcony type area...dude you have to get training and put those bloddy arms to some use!!!!

you know...you could have came down and loaded :)

Holy moly, that's a lot of cleaning up time!! Absolutely fantastic to meet you too, and thanks so much for everything today - the set-up was really excellent (even if the platform did threaten to crack underneath us at one point :p) and I thoroughly enjoyed the day. First-class loading, muchos grassy-arses!!

well....we did do a bit of messing afterwards first...and sssshhhh the platform was fine..were just going to impose a c&j limit on kevin darcy next year!

Tuesday 11/02/09
    OH squat 15 x 4 x 2, 25 x 4
    Snatch jumps 30 x 4 x 3
    Hang Snatch 30 x 2, 33 x 2, 36 x 2
    Snatch 39, 42 x 1 x 3
    Jerk Dips 25 x 5 x 3
    Jerk catches 25 x 5 x 3
    Split Jerk 30 x 3 x 3
    Jerk 45, 50, 53, 56 x 1 x 3

Took it fairly handy this evening, the body is still pretty battered after the comp. We're having a squat training session on Saturday with a couple of the lads from Limerick so I want to stay of top form for that.

Note to self: do not take muscle relaxants before training, even if you have a horrific tension headache. Blondest. Idea. Ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Saturday 07/02/09 – Munster Open, University of Limerick

Snatch – 46, 49, 51
    Clean & Jerk – 60, 64, 66

Any videos from the competition?

BossArky wrote: »
    Any videos from the competition?
    I'm waiting on them myself tbh, as soon as I have them I'll put them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Well done on your recent competition :)

• Advertisement

Saturday 14/02/09
    Spent the day training in Donnybrook with wasabi, Barry & Sami (two of the other Hercs weightlifters) and Cathal Byrd, Ireland's no. 1 weightlifter - it's hard not to be inspired and amazed training alongside a <69kg lifter who clean & jerks double his bodyweight and makes it look damn easy :o

It was a high volume day of lifting split into four sessions each with strict duration and 30 mins of rest between them...

Warm-up as per usual (stretching, OHS and snatch jumps).

Session 1: 45 minutes
    Power snatch 25 x 2, 30, 35, 37, 40, 42, 44, 45, 46, 37 x 2 x 4 (after reaching your 1RM we backed off with 80% 1RM doubles)
    Clean pulls 45 x 2, 50 x 2, 52 x 2, 54 x 2, 56 x 2, 58 x 2, 60 x 2, 62 x 2, 64 x 2 x 3

I hadn't tested my 1RM power snatch before so this was interesting. Your power snatch should be between 80-90% of your snatch 1RM so going with a 46kg pwr snatch I should be (theoretically!!) well able for a 55kg snatch when I'm fresh. That makes sense tbh, I know I'm strong enough for it, I just need to get my technique to marry with my strength abilities.

The clean pulls were something I hadn't done before, but I'll be introducing them to my program soon. Although I'm a very good deadlifter I still get shaky when I pull my big cleans off the ground (even though they're well less than half of my DL 1RM!). Clean pulls should help me get used to pulling the bar and getting an explosive extension.

Session 2: 60 minutes
    Snatch 30 x 2, 35, 37, 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49, 50, 51 x 0, 51 (PB)
    Power clean 45, 47, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 x 0 x 2, 49 x 2 x 3 (80% 1RM)

The 51kg snatch was ugly, but it was still a white light lift! My technique is coming along well and I'm holding the bar closer to me - I'll be v interested to see what I can do on a fresh day the next time I test my 1RM.

The power cleans were a great learning tool - I've pinpointed what I've been doing wrong that's been putting unnecessary strain on my arms: I've been prematurely bending at the elbow insted of extending fully. Sounds so simple but when I concetrated on it I noticed a huge difference. The arms still aren't 100% so I didn't beat myself up over not getting the 60kg. Again the power cleans are 80-90% of the clean 1RM; a 70kg is on the cards very soon.

Session 3: 45 minutes
    Snatch pulls 35 x 2, 40 x 2, 45 x 2, 47 x2, 49 x 2 x 3
    Clean & jerk 40, 45, 50, 53, 56, 59 x 0, 59 x 1

My C&J 1RM was way off what I've done in training and in-comp, but given that this was at the end of a lot of lifting and I was more than a little fried I'm not hugely disappointed!! I probably could have made a bigger attempt but with my body feeling fatigued I would have been playing with fire.

Session 4: 30 minutes
    Squat 60 x 4, 80 x 2, 90, 105, 115, 120 x 0

It's a shame I didn't get the 120kg but meh, 115kg after the day that was in it ain't bad!!

It was a great day, very very tiring and my body feels shattered and sore today. I'm delighted I was able to handle that much volume, it clears the way for introducing a higher volume of regular training on a weekly basis. Everyone had a brilliant day performance-wise and there were PBs lifted in every session. Big kudos to wasabi for the extremely impressive 67kg Jerk PB, made all the more brilliant considering her torn-calloused hands were giving her major grief!

Highlight of the day though was watching Cathal squatting 200kg ATG at <69kg bw at the end of a very heavy day of lifting. Holy schlamoly :eek:

Advertisement