Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls Got Game!

Options
  • 30-09-2008 9:52am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭

How many women on boards.ie play computer games? If so, how often and what games?

According to a recent study reported by MSNBC: "The hardcore players who spent the longest time exploring the virtual world of 'EverQuest II' also tended to be women, even though females made up just 20 percent of players."

Also, gaming and fitness: "Drop those stereotypes about people who play online role-playing games — chances are they're more physically fit..."

OK, I'll go first. I occasionally play Neverwinter Nights and Castle Crusader, but I doubt gamers would take me seriously. Am I missing something?

Lads can join in by telling us about their gamer g/fs, or what they think about gamer girls or ones that don't play.

MSNBC Report: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26947992/wid/11915829?GT1=40006

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't play PC games or role play ones. I just like my mini gameboy and wii.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Huge thread on this a while back: here

Answer: a LOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Yeah, I'm a fairly avid gamer. In general, I am a sucker for adventure games like Broken Sword. I have a huge collection, mainly comprised by German titles as adventures aren't half as popular here as back home. Getting Secret Files 2 in two weeks time, soooo excited! So, adventures on all platforms I have: PC, Wii, DS.

Only 15 minutes ago, I finally finished Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. While it is nice, I totally suck at games where you can die in fights, so I had to get iCheat for the DS to overcome obstacles in fights... Please don't sneer. :o My favourite series for the DS is probably Lost in Blue. Seems rather unpopular with lots of people. I don't get that since they all praise Animal Crossing which I find dead boring and repetitive...

Apart from that, I love the Harvest Moon series and am getting very impatient about the release of Tree of Tranquility. According to Play.com, it's out at the end of January, which sucks big time - and is probably not even true. I'll be happy if it's out in a year's time. :(

Bf and me both like simulations a lot and play SimCity together and Civilization together on the PC, and also some competitive games on the Wii (Wii Sports, Fit, Mario @ the Olympics...).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

I have a DS and would play Mario Kart whenever I have a bit of time. But when it comes to the XBOX or the playstation, I stay well away from them. I played Halo against my brother a few months back. Needless to say, I was a disaster.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

No, don't play them. Have no interest and am useless at them too. I'm one of those hapless eejits who when playing a driving game will actually lean over in the direction I want the car to go. :rolleyes::o

Occasionally log onto shockwave and play a few strategy or word games off that but that's about the extent of my gaming abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

My girlfriend and all her friends play The sims. As do my sisters and all their friends. Peggle and bejeweled is insanly popular with my mom and her friends... Then you have women who play the wii (All types of women) and they don't class it as a "video game". I know loads who play the DS also, and don't consider it a "video game". When I hear a girl say she's a gamer, it's if she owns/plays anything else that I haven't mentioned... So yes, women play games. Just like men.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gaming since I was a small child - Nintendo lover since I was 7. I'm an ex-hardcore WoW player but have got my life back since then! Console-wise, I have a Wii, a GameCube, old Xbox, PS2, N64 and SNES, and I also have pretty much all the iterations of the Game Boy. I've also played quite a few old PC games over the years on college networks, usually Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2, Warcraft 3 and Quake 3. I don't game much any more though - partly due to being slightly soured on the whole thing after quitting WoW, and partly because I'm trying to concentrate on my studies, and partly because there's just very little out at the moment that I'm interested in.

Last game I bought - "The World Ends With You" on DS.

Favourite games - Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past and Wind Waker, Tetris, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart, We <3 Katamari, Final Fantasy X, Quake 3, Super Smash Bros Melee, Wario Ware Inc, Ikaruga, Burnout series (particularly 3), Starfox, Super Metroid...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Another World of Warcraft addict here! Having said that I've quit until the expansion pack comes out at the end of this year. I'm about half way through Portal aswell. I like also playing the Brain Training sudoku games on the DS as well as Wario and Metroid.

My dad bought a computer when I was a child (in the 80's) so I always remember gaming and computers being a fun part of my life. Loved Quake, Wolfestein etc as a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Love my DS and GameBoy before that, also have the older Xbox with a few games, but wouldnt call myself a serious gamer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

They should be burnt at the stake, Blue!

Seriously, nothing wrong with women gaming, so long as it doesn't take over your life. Everything in moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Does online poker count?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I don't know any girls who play anything other than Singstar or Guitar Hero.

Not mad into video games myself these days, used to enjoy them but as I've gotten older the plot-holes, cheesy dialogue and derivative storylines have started to grate a little. Prefer a book or film now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

2 girls I know play WOW and other such RPG games, FF7 etc One of the girls is a huge fan of the Fallout series, has her copy of Fallout3 pre-ordered..bitch..

Livingdeadgirl played Stronghold Crusader with me for awhile, she plays the AOE games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

sister is always on Tetris on her phone...

Advertisement