Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a late bar?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Heading to the city this Saturday nite and would like to go to a nice late bar with my special lady friend. We don’t really like clubs, we prefer to sit down and enjoy a few drinks and a chat so could ye please recommend some nice late bars,

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The Crane Lane will be jammers on a Saturday night and God almighty "not too loud", last time I was in there you couldn't hear a person 2 feet away due to the noise,.

Just a heads up.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

The Crane Lane will be jammers on a Saturday night and God almighty "not too loud", last time I was in there you couldn't hear a person 2 feet away due to the noise,.

Just a heads up.

MC

Thanks, so could you recommend somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sorry by noise I meant music.... must be getting old... :o

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Agree that Crane Lane on a Saturday is crowded as hell.

Sky bar although it lacks atmosphere, same with the Quad.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Most places on a Saturday night are going to be jam packed, that's unavoidable. Depends on what music/scene you are into. If you want somewhere nice for a couple you could head to Scotts, Oliver Plunkett Street (a little bit poser) or else the Chambers bar on Washington Street (a bit younger). Soho is another option, but that place is always packed....nice for one drink though, and make it a cocktail ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

+1 for the Quad.

Is Costigans a late bar? Nice place, but I can't remember staying late there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Costigans be busy enough...

Try The Pavilion...new place just off Pana between French Connection and The Body Shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Slate is another one, next to the quad, quite similar but nicer looking inside (hate the quad's green) and more atmosphere.

If you were early enough to get to the crane lane you could get a seat in the outside section (literally a lane) which is nice and not loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I was in the Quad last Sat night. No atmosphere and it was loud enough. It was empty up until about 12 or half 12 and then it started to fill up a bit. I'm very disappointed with it to be honest.

The Franciscan Well is nice. Not too crowded and still a good atmosphere. Can't remember if it's quiet or not inside as I usually go out to the smoking area and grab a bench there. It's nice out there but bring a jacket if you don't get a table under a heatlamp. Not a late bar though, think it closes up around 12:30.

I was at Fionnbarra's on Douglas Street a few weeks ago and it's actually a great spot! And of course Tom Barry's on Barrack's Street is another one. I don't know if it's a late bar though? I used to like the Bodega before they changed around a few years ago, dunno what it's like now.

Aspiration wrote: »
    I was in the Quad last Sat night. No atmosphere and it was loud enough. It was empty up until about 12 or half 12 and then it started to fill up a bit. I'm very disappointed with it to be honest.

The Franciscan Well is nice. Not too crowded and still a good atmosphere. Can't remember if it's quiet or not inside as I usually go out to the smoking area and grab a bench there. It's nice out there but bring a jacket if you don't get a table under a heatlamp. Not a late bar though, think it closes up around 12:30.

I was at Fionnbarra's on Douglas Street a few weeks ago and it's actually a great spot! And of course Tom Barry's on Barrack's Street is another one. I don't know if it's a late bar though? I used to like the Bodega before they changed around a few years ago, dunno what it's like now.

Nope Fionn Barras, Tom Barrys and Franci's will all kick you out around half 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Ah, but Aspiration, you were sober :confused: and concentrating on getting me into trouble! :mad:

Quad - OK, but doesn't fill up til late due to football during day

Slate - Excellent, but is tending to be very busy at weekends

Old Oak - Not been in ages. Older crowd, not bad

Crane Lane - Jammed busy, good tunes, but pricy

An Brog - Pretty much uninhabitale at this time of year (Students)

Reardens - Expensive and crap, older crowd, full of ****holes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Was in the Old Oak last night and had a great laugh, there was an excellent buzz in there and you could sit down aswell if you wanted.

Was in Crane Lane wednesday night and I couldn't hear a word anyone was saying, we were by the bar in the theater. Very annoying, but nice place all the same.

I do like Scott's quite alot, bit of a club atmosphere but you can always chill out downstairs, much rather be in there than Havana's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

you really can't beat the pavilion. crackin tunes, nice pints, great atmosphere. i love the place.

Kold wrote:
    Nope Fionn Barras, Tom Barrys and Franci's will all kick you out around half 12.

Thought so :(
    AFC_1903 wrote:
    Ah, but Aspiration, you were sober :confused: and concentrating on getting me into trouble! :mad:

I'm always sober and I was trying to keep myself occupied because the Quad was so empty!! You loved it anyways. In fact, I bet you wish there was some truth to those rumours ;)

Anyone know what Sober Lane's like? or Spailpin Fanach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Aspiration wrote: »
    Anyone know what Sober Lane's like? or Spailpin Fanach?

Neither has a late licence.

Sober Lane is nice during the day, and they do pizza, but the crowd there at nights isn't really to my liking. I find them a bit poser-y (Having said that i've not been there for a while, mainly for this reason). Also, the staff are sound.

An Spailpin Fanach is a great pub in both the daytime and nighttime. Trad music often on and they sometimes randomly give you sandwiches! Older crowd. Also, one of the barmen is very cranky.

(And no, Aspiration, you and I both know that I would never do that. It's not the way things are done.)

Damn, can't you tell I've been out of the city way too long to not know what pubs close late... :rolleyes:

Sorry guys...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Fabio wrote: »
    Costigans be busy enough...

Try The Pavilion...new place just off Pana between French Connection and The Body Shop.

aye when they play music it's generally not loud and pretty mellow anyway, they also erve beamish red nyom nyom nyom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

thanks for all the replys guys, went to the comedy club and ended up stayin there after, was a great nite!!

Advertisement