Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...looking for advice re. swelling...

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,

I got my bottom lip pierced over the weekend...finally...after wanting it for ages.
    Anyway...it's still quite swollen, especially first thing in the morning (I have a feeling I am probably touching it or something in my sleep).
    I am taking Nurofen Plus to take the swelling down, but I can only take 6 of these in 24 hours according to the instructions.
    Is there anything else I can do to keep the swelling down?
    ...I'm worried the bar is a bit too tight when my lip is swollen :(

Also...where is the best position for the bar to be so that there is minimal damage to teeth and gums?
    My bar is rubbing against my bottom teeth constantly...
    Will this stop when I get the smaller bar in a few weeks?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Soak your new piercing with warm salt and water as often as you can to keep infection out. Keep on with the neurofen (or any ibuprofen) for the swelling. Once your bar is shortened it shouldnt rub off teeth or gums.

Quick question, the swelling in the morning, its an all lip swelling yes? By that I mean, its not more swollen on one side of your lip is it? If it is that could indicate a more severe infection and I'd go back to the piercing studio for them to take a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Diceicle wrote: »
    Soak your new piercing with warm salt and water as often as you can to keep infection out. Keep on with the neurofen (or any ibuprofen) for the swelling. Once your bar is shortened it shouldnt rub off teeth or gums.

Quick question, the swelling in the morning, its an all lip swelling yes? By that I mean, its not more swollen on one side of your lip is it? If it is that could indicate a more severe infection and I'd go back to the piercing studio for them to take a look at it.

Thanks Diceicle,

No, it's an even swelling all over my lip. I reckon its a combination of the nurofen having worn off by the morning...and me touching the piercing in my sleep.
    I had a dream the first night I had it pierced that the bar was after falling out...so I was probably trying to "fix" it in my sleep...ouch! :)
    It doesn't look infected, so fingers crossed it isn't.
    I only have it 3 days though, but I've been using the mouthwash and the antibacterial cleaner heaps.

I have another question...will brushing my teeth and washing my face become easier as it heals??? :) I'm being soooo careful not to hit off the piercing! :)

Thanks Diceicle,

No, it's an even swelling all over my lip. I reckon its a combination of the nurofen having worn off by the morning...and me touching the piercing in my sleep.
    I had the dream the first night I had it pierced that the bar was after falling out...so I was probably trying to "fix" it in my sleep...ouch! :)
    It doesn't look infected, so fingers crossed it isn't.
    I only have it 3 days though, but I've been using the mouthwash and the antibacterial cleaner heaps.

I have another question...will brushing my teeth and washing my face become easier as it heals??? :) I'm being soooo careful not to hit off the piercing! :)

It could be that your touching or hitting off it in your sleep or your body is trying to fight a foreign object. So just keep up the cleaning and I would imagine the swelling will be gone or considerably reduced in the next day or two. Once your piercing is fully healed you'll be able to wash your face etc with no bother from the bar. I've a couple in that area and I dont even think of them when washing/brushing etc. The lip was one of my first and it got quite swollen so I wouldnt worry about it. Just keep it clean and it should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Thanks Diceicle :)
    I'll give the salty water a go.
    I can't wait for the swelling to go and for it to fully heal :)

The big bar is quite annoying the way it keeps rubbing off my teeth and gums. I think I'm gonna love it though once I get the smaller bar in :)

The piercing place said they won't change the bar until 4 weeks are up. Is this the norm? I could've sworn a different place I rang said 2 weeks, but maybe I got that wrong?

Thanks again :)

Different studios have different ways of treating new piercings. Best thing to do is head back in after about 2 weeks if the bar feels quite long and all the swelling is gone (as it most likely will) and ask them to change it. They'll take a look and let you know if you're ready for a shorter bar, you should be I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement