Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Childcare Allowance

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when this is due what date.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

13th of October

And again on the 8th of December

Happy Days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Thanx Quality you are right Happy Days ive a son going to Poland so thatll be his spending money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Quality wrote: »
    13th of October

And again on the 8th of December

I wouldn't spend the Dec payment yet, the axe is hovering over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

aye - its got to be a strong candidate for the chop in the Budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ridiculous and absolutely typical of this government. :mad:

It would be more sensible to just stop families over a certain income receiving the payment, or indeed child benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Is it just a gut feeling by people that this allowance may be for the chop or is there a reliable source for this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

stovelid wrote: »
    It would be more sensible to just stop families over a certain income receiving the payment, or indeed child benefit.

But who decides this limit, eh? The whole purpose of that benefit was to help with the costs of childcare.. Eg, to help families where both parents are working. We're by no means raking in the big bucks, but as it stands, but we're both working.. We don't qualify for medical cards, grants, financial assistance in any way, shape or form. If they start taking away things like child benefit, I'd probably be better off unemployed, and that's the decision they'd be forcing on parents the length and breadth of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Fiona24

did anyone else not receive their childrens allowance for october?

They wouldnt daretake it as their would be a riot,and they wouldnt last to long in government.

Quackles wrote: »
    if they start taking away things like child benefit, I'd probably be better off unemployed, and that's the decision they'd be forcing on parents the length and breadth of the country.

I'm obviously not talking about borderline cases like this; or even people on average incomes.

But surely, there are families on high incomes that can do without an 166 quid a month, and 6600k spread over six years? I'd rather see the entire child benefit budget given to families who really need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Fiona24 wrote: »
    did anyone else not receive their childrens allowance for october?

Afaik the October payment (as with all others?) is the first Tuesday of the month. Thats next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm obviously not talking about borderline cases like this; or even people on average incomes.

But surely, there are families on high incomes that can do without an 166 quid a month, and 6600k spread over six years? I'd rather see the entire child benefit budget given to families who really need it.

Yes, but you can be sure that the government will still put the limit around where they put it for a medical card or for a 3rd level maintenance grant, which is still too low, imo. I do believe that decision would be political suicide, though, I'd be a bit surprised to see them take away the childcare benefit. My guess is they'll find a more stealthy way to take our money :)

Id love for some canvessor to knock on my door.They should really cap their own wages and bonuses if they are that worried about the economy,but they womnt do that after all they neeed it for their 3 houses that they have going.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Folks, in theory everything is for the chop, but people shouldn't get worked up until it actually happens. In the current climate people need to keep there heads and deal with financial facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I never got it, my kids were too old by the time it was implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

They wouldn't dare take away our ECS or Child Benefit. Sure we're all young and have years of good (or bad) voting left in us. No. Much better take the fuel allowance off the pensioners and let them all die off this winter, sure they're nearly all dead anyway and what do they contribute to the economy?! Or better still, THREATEN them with taking it off them, and take the ECS and Child Benefit off us, and make the pensioners earn the fuel allowance by minding our kids while we're out working. That'll keep them warm!

Much better take the fuel allowance off the pensioners and let them all die off this winter, sure they're nearly all dead anyway and what do they contribute to the economy?! Or better still, THREATEN them with taking it off them, and take the ECS and Child Benefit off us, and make the pensioners earn the fuel allowance by minding our kids while we're out working. That'll keep them warm!

You're joking, I assume. :)

This is Fianna Fail we're talking about. In a toss-up between dumping ECS or tax increases....well I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The older generations are consistant FF voters and in most cases have been for years.
    They vote a hell of a lot more regularly and consistantly then those in their 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,945 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tbh, a tax-free universal payment regardless of means is hard to justify. Resources should be targeted at those in need, not wastefully scattered at everyone (like we did with free university fees, or medical cards for over 70s) but the latter wins more votes.

Child benefit will probably be increased a bit in the budget BUT brought into the tax net. This means those on the lowest income get an increase, while the relatively well-off will get a decrease as they will pay top rate tax on it.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Ninja, I think you are absolutely right.

And remember leaks are often made to test out a reaction, overall the reaction to the leaks about abolition of universal medical cards for over 70s, and the ECS, has been muted. Nobody in govt likes the ECS, it was introduced in a panic, and was very poorly thought out.

I think the battle to introduce university fees will be harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Janey I wont forget to put the smiley in at the end of a jokey post again!

Advertisement