Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Cruelty and turning a blind eye

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    I have never heard such horse poop in my life. There is no comparison between fox hunting and animal cruelty.

Fox hunting is a form of wildlife control endorsed by the government and such hunting is legal. Animal cruelty is illegal.

Fox hunting is legal as it culls the harmful foxes who endanger other protected wildlife. Animal cruelty is illegal as it is the ongoing abuse of a harmless animal who has no choice but to be kept by an owner.

I despise animal cruelty and I would report it in an instant if I knew it was happening. Just because you are ignorant to the facts of wildlife survival you do not have the right to judge people. If you have an issue with fox hunting take it up on another thread. Do not use a thread opened for discussion on animal cruelty and welfare to show your dislike of fox hunting and the people involved in it.

Wildlife survival....hmm that's a new spin on it.

The comparison is that both fox hunting and animal cruelty are one and the same. Fox hunting is cruel. Chasing a poor creature with 50 or so hounds and thundering horses with riders baying for blood is cruel. No two ways about it.
    If it's wildlife survival you are talking about there much more humane ways to cull the fox population, if indeed they do need to be culled, being that they themselves are a natural part of our eco system and are not impacting negatively on wildlife. If there are problems with wildlife populations I would be more inclined to think that it is man encroaching on their habit that is the problem. Sorry for going off topic, but I couldn't read that comment about "wildlife survival" and not comment.
    I would have much more respect for your arguement if you didn't try and dress it up and excuse it with pseudo eco babble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

I see what you mean, if you suspected you would see if you could find out for definate first.
    helena if you KNOW there is blatant animal cruelty report it. some degree of evidence is needed. your case sounds shaky to me thats why i urged caution. its highly unlikely a man involved in dog fighting all his life wouldnt be known by the cops. an old loaner,bit of a drinker is an easy target for back bitters and rumour mongers.
    if he is though involved though he'll get a deserved surprise someday. i've had bad experiences with the cops so i know that dealing with them is not always a pleasant experience, wether guilty or not.
    if someone had the cops at my grandas house over alleged dog fighting and he was innocent i wouldnt be happy. thats my last word on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Indeed the Gardai might be a step to far too fast. But the dog warden could certainly call around without much fuss. I think if there is resonable suspicion in all types of cases and you feel it is sustained animal cruelty, then ringing the warden is totally acceptable. They will decide whether or not to inform the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

whitser wrote: »
    helena if you KNOW there is blatant animal cruelty report it. some degree of evidence is needed. your case sounds shaky to me thats why i urged caution. its highly unlikely a man involved in dog fighting all his life wouldnt be known by the cops. an old loaner,bit of a drinker is an easy target for back bitters and rumour mongers.
    if he is though involved though he'll get a deserved surprise someday. i've had bad experiences with the cops so i know that dealing with them is not always a pleasant experience, wether guilty or not.
    if someone had the cops at my grandas house over alleged dog fighting and he was innocent i wouldnt be happy. thats my last word on this.
    oh well thats that then, you get involved, tell me I'm wrong based on something I didn't say and then march out because thats your last word on it? Didn't you read the bit where I said he has been reported by the person who KNOWS him? Shakey? Don't think so. Did you go back and read the bit where I did not give his details? No? Could you please, and then retract your comment about me giving his details over the net, I'm sure thats a bannable offence so I don't want there to be any confusion over that.

Me ringing because I "heard" - yes shakey, you pointed this out, I agreed and did something about it. Person who knows him has now reported. I took your advice, let you know I took it and you're still going on about me doing the wrong thing? You may as well leave the conversation if thats what you want, you're obviously only half reading it.

oh well thats that then, you get involved, tell me I'm wrong based on something I didn't say and then march out because thats your last word on it? Didn't you read the bit where I said he has been reported by the person who KNOWS him? Shakey? Don't think so. Did you go back and read the bit where I did not give his details? No? Could you please, and then retract your comment about me giving his details over the net, I'm sure thats a bannable offence so I don't want there to be any confusion over that.

Me ringing because I "heard" - yes shakey, you pointed this out, I agreed and did something about it. Person who knows him has now reported. I took your advice, let you know I took it and you're still going on about me doing the wrong thing? You may as well leave the conversation if thats what you want, you're obviously only half reading it.
    i've just made my point over and over.
    i retract the comment about giving his details, with apologies.:)
    but theres nothing more i can add to this debate because i've said my peice.
    as for getting rid of working dogs, that doesnt mean something sinister has happened. i've often sold/given away on a dog that wasnt any use for what i wanted but suited another...for example some terriers wont work a fox but make excellent rabbiting dogs or some springers are hard mouthed on game so no good for shooting but make a good beaters dog an so one.

• Advertisement

i've just made my point over and over.
    i retract the comment about giving his details, with apologies.:)
    but theres nothing more i can add to this debate because i've said my peice.
    as for getting rid of working dogs, that doesnt mean something sinister has happened. i've often sold/given away on a dog that wasnt any use for what i wanted but suited another...for example some terriers wont work a fox but make excellent rabbiting dogs or some springers are hard mouthed on game so no good for shooting but make a good beaters dog an so one.

Thanks

yes I'm aware of people swapping dogs as such, but my original quote was taken out of context. I said if there are working dogs coming and going a lot, then I would be worried about something sinister. Which I think is fair enough. I know from experience what can happen to dogs who don't work well, which is why I said it. I didn't pluck it from mid air.

(knew you'd be back)

unfortuneatley the working dog world also has its unscrupulous dealers who buy in and sell dogs at profit to unsuspecting lads who take them at their word, despite the fact that the dogs are usually useless and from bad back rounds. these are the lads who have a constant flow of dogs through their yard. i've never bought a dog with the intention of getting rid of it.
    theres good and bad in alll walks of life and a right way and wrong way of doing things.

unfortuneatley the working dog world also has its unscrupulous dealers who buy in and sell dogs at profit to unsuspecting lads who take them at their word, despite the fact that the dogs are usually useless and from bad back rounds. these are the lads who have a constant flow of dogs through their yard. i've never bought a dog with the intention of getting rid of it.
    theres good and bad in alll walks of life and a right way and wrong way of doing things.
    A lot of people dont, I think the practise of getting a dog then moving him along, or worse is getting less common now. I remember it was common place, nobody batted an eyelid. I think it's not as common because people are starting to say when they don't agree with some form of how an animal is treated. Although it still happens. Working dogs strayed, killed or given away to unsuitable homes because they're too old/not working. Obviously not by everyone. All comes back to tougher laws on registration of dogs.

Advertisement