Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six to seven speed conversion

Options
  • 30-09-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Here's one. I have an old Raleigh steel racing frame which I use as a second bike. A couple of years ago I had to buy a new shifter. However I was only able to get a 7 speed 105 shifter for the six speed thread-on freewheel. This has been fine - I simply disabled the indexing.

However, I recently came across the assertion (on Sheldon Brown) that a seven speed freewheel will thread on to a hub originally designed for a six speed with "little trouble" because the sprockets are closer on a seven speed. I have to change the freewheel anyway and going to a seven speed would allow me to use the indexing on the shifter. However, when I dropped in Cyclelogical to see if they might have a thread-on seven speed, I was confidently informed that the only way I'd fit a seven speed would be by braking the frame.

I accepted this at the time and walked away with another six speed freewheel. However, now I have my doubts: assuming the seven speed does fit on the existing hub, why would the frame be under any greater pressure? The hub width isn't changing. I can live with a six speed but I figure I may as well get the seven if at all possible. I know it's along shot in this forum but does anyone have any experience of trying this?

Advertisement