Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks from eye to GMIT?

Options
  • 30-09-2008 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

Have seen the notices go up for this and vaguely remember something about it being a bus lane going in.
    As usual there is no information on the council website that i can find, so what exactly are they doing and how long is it supposed to last for (I see they conveniently left that off their notices on the roadside!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulh19

Webbs wrote: »
    Have seen the notices go up for this and vaguely remember something about it being a bus lane going in.
    As usual there is no information on the council website that i can find, so what exactly are they doing and how long is it supposed to last for (I see they conveniently left that off their notices on the roadside!!)

Thanks for posting Webbs, I was just about to ask the same question!

I was also wondering about the impact of these works ... times of day? will both lanes remain open throughout or will there be stop/go?

Appreciate any info.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

They are also widening the Doughiska road, so a stop go system their for the next few months I'm sure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

There were roadworks yersterday morning in Oranmore, no sign nothing - then when i was coming home yesterday evening lo and behold a sign in the village saying roadworks on the Maree Road but nothing there last night or this morning - typical :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

paulh19 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting Webbs, I was just about to ask the same question!

I was also wondering about the impact of these works ... times of day? will both lanes remain open throughout or will there be stop/go?

Appreciate any info.
    Thanks.
    and where do they think we are going to "divert" to .. ie the closure of the dublin road.... signs up by gmit to use an alternative route...
    its gridlock as it is in the afternoon....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Hennybug wrote: »
    There were roadworks yersterday morning in Oranmore, no sign nothing - then when i was coming home yesterday evening lo and behold a sign in the village saying roadworks on the Maree Road but nothing there last night or this morning - typical :rolleyes:

Have to say they did a brilliant job on the resurfacing along the stretch of dual carriageway from the community centre to the quality hotel. Did the work at night and caused minimal disruption. Just wish they could do that for all city road works.

I think they learned their lesson when they attempted to re-surface the roundabout at the same stretch of road a year or 2 ago during daytime hrs and caused the whole city to come to a standstill, even though it was out in oranmore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I shouldnt be surprised really that there is nothing on the Council Website, but it just isn't good enough that there is no information regarding the extent and time scale of major roadworks that will have a major impact on a large number of people throughout the eastside of the city as it will have a considerable knock on effect to other routes.
    I have no faith or confidence in anything this council does its pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

there was suppost to be a bus lane implemented before the student rush in september, this is what i remember reading in around april/may in a local paper! tok their time, and smartly wait for the students to come back before they start working:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

just been on the council website. they have information on it in the press release section. try this link if it works. http://www.galwaycity.ie/TopNews/MainBody,4909,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

From the website 'This initiative will improve bus shelters together with pedestrian and cyclist facilities along the Dublin Road.'

I am assuming then that will include any common sense initiatives for pedestrians like footbridges so there won't be any danger to pedestrians esp schoolkids trying to cross what will be 4 lanes of traffic with no island.

Oops sorry this is Galway council and its wonderful traffic dept. so not a chance in hell methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ARGINITE wrote: »
    They are also widening the Doughiska road, so a stop go system their for the next few months I'm sure :(

This is going to be chaos! They had a contra-flow system operating yesterday, with half the road blocked off and just one lane open. Last night, same one lane open, but the traffic lights were off, so cars were coming head-on at each other, basically first come first served and get out of my way. Crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Zzippy wrote: »
    This is going to be chaos! They had a contra-flow system operating yesterday, with half the road blocked off and just one lane open. Last night, same one lane open, but the traffic lights were off, so cars were coming head-on at each other, basically first come first served and get out of my way. Crazy!

Between 8 & 10 and 4 & 6 there will be two lanes of traffic running but for "off peak" times it will be like you said, Crazy!!

Galway Independent article
    Long-standing plans for an outbound bus lane on the Dublin Road will soon become a reality, as work begins today on the widening of the road and insertion of the new bus lane.

According to the council, two-way traffic will be maintained at all times during peak hours (8am to 10pm and 4pm to 6pm), while a stop/go system will be in place at busy times outside peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

s_carnage wrote: »
    Between 8 & 10 and 4 & 6 there will be two lanes of traffic running but for "off peak" times it will be like you said, Crazy!!

I was actually referring to the Doughiska Road works that just started - there won't be 2 lanes of traffic at any time but the contra flow traffic lights seem to only be on during the day. Typical!

Advertisement