Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars Wanted for Cash

Options
  • 30-09-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I came across this ad in todays times, and thought that it might be of interest given the number of threads recently about people having trouble shifting their second hand cars privately.

Please Note:
    1. I have no connection with Rathdown Motors
    2. The price they offer will probably be poor given they plan to sell the car on at a profit, but cash in hand is cash in hand and all that!
    Cars Wanted for Cash
    2004-2008
    All Makes & Models
    Email detail to: reception@rathdownmotors.ie
    Rathdown Motors Ltd.
    Terenure, D6W

Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've e mailed them details of my car. Will advise on their response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They will probably be inundated with callers with large Jeeps from the Building trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmmm

normally they just sell civics by the the bucket load...

im interested..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would love to see how much they are offering, they must be tryin to catch the very, very desperate of sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I would love to see how much they are offering, they must be tryin to catch the very, very desperate of sellers.

Has anybody tried this. E-mailed them yesterday but no answer. Would be really interested in hearing from anyone who has had an offer from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Rathdown Motors in Terenure is close to me, their yard is constantly full of cars, i wonder where they're going to put them. Think they were a honda dealership but passing the window earlier there are 2 saab 93 convertibles and 2 slks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

LolaDub wrote: »
    Rathdown Motors in Terenure is close to me, their yard is constantly full of cars, i wonder where they're going to put them. Think they were a honda dealership but passing the window earlier there are 2 saab 93 convertibles and 2 slks

They were a Honda dealer, then a Peugeot dealer and now a Hyundai dealer (with Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler thrown in). All in the last eight years....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

From the mouth of the father today
    "Heard on the radio today that a big dealer in dublin was selling cars at huge discount prices who would come in and say 'Get me what ever you can for that by Friday. etc. etc.'

So he says anyway but was very vague. I think if you had the cash lying around and nothing to do with it, there are some real bargains to be got out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

For those that are interested in the kind of cash they are offering, emailed them with details of my car (2007 VW Passat Comfortline).

Cash offer for it was €14k! :eek: Depressed times in the market indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bf wrote: »
    For those that are interested in the kind of cash they are offering, emailed them with details of my car (2007 VW Passat Comfortline).

Cash offer for it was €14k! :eek: Depressed times in the market indeed...

that was a good offer, I heard of one dealer that was so in trouble for cash he was letting 05 Passats out the door for 4k:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

that was a good offer, I heard of one dealer that was so in trouble for cash he was letting 05 Passats out the door for 4k:eek:

ah now!

that's a long shot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

can't imagine any car dealer letting even a 02 passat out the door for than money. 14k is actually not too bad though obviously they would be hoping to sell it on for about 17k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

it all sounds so dodgy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They never responded to my mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sure you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

Would like to meet that dealer! Would have taken my 14k cash, taken 3 of his passats and spend 2k on a nice holiday :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

They never responded to my mail.

After a week? That's pretty shoddy!

What a waste of advertising money if they won't follow through on their call-to-action.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

in general all car dealers I have ever dealt with are atrocious at responding to emails. they appear to treat the phone as the only way to do business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Woogie Boogie

they were advertising again in this sundays tribune!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just to give another example of the prices being offered, my wife rang them about her 04 MINI One (there's a link in my sig to the ad ;)) - they initally offered 11,500 but agreed that if she brought it down to them and it was in as good a nick as she said they probably go to 12,000.

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

AudiChris wrote: »
    After a week? That's pretty shoddy!

What a waste of advertising money if they won't follow through on their call-to-action.

Got a reply from them after about 3 days saying they weren't interested in my car. Looks like they are being quite selective with what they take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

copacetic wrote: »
    in general all car dealers I have ever dealt with are atrocious at responding to emails. they appear to treat the phone as the only way to do business.

Depressingly true, I guess.

I doubt I'm innocent of it either. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement