Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights claregalway

Options
  • 30-09-2008 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

What does everyone make of these new set of lights at claregalway a good or bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

been a long time coming and will ease a bit of the congestion
    but think the way it blends into the incoming traffic (both ways) is a bit
    erratic and downright dangerous if care is not taken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

Aw i just think the morning is crazy it has added to traffic going into town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

true but its shifting the traffic heading out the n17 much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055379800
    Good idea. Getting out from N18 onto N17 towards Tuam is bloody impossible at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I live pretty close to the junction. Overall, they seem to be working well, its definitely speeded up the flow on the N17, no more messing around with cars letting a few out here and there dawdling at the junction. At least its clear now who can go and who must wait! I think it has slowed down the traffic on the N18 though, I did hear they were thinking of adjusting the lights sequences to adjust for this. It doesn't stay green very long at all for N18 traffic.

However, I do wish they finished the job properly... the filter lane for turning right onto the N18 coming from the city is downright bloody dangerous the way it's left. If you're not used to it you could find yourself heading into on-coming traffic :eek: Its an accident waiting to happen.! All it really needs is the road markings to be cleaned up.

Neither is it very clear who exactly has right-of-way when you're turning right and cars coming from the Tuam side are also turning left into the same road.

Finally, after all the messing around with the surface, digging it up, resurfacing it, they made a piss-poor job of finishing it. It's very rough and patchy, a typical "loose-chippings" effort, and the new markings are not clear. It's an obvious example of "sure, it'll do", or "we ran out of cash".

Still, its much better than it was and its probably as close to a bypass as we'll ever see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭moomoo2007

Yes true but its just so bloody bad in the mornings coming off the roscomman road is a balls, and its going at a snails pace once you get onto the tuam road i mean it was bad before the lights were turned on but man its a million times worse now:rolleyes: think i need to try find another quicker route i could take as opposed to having to get up outta my bed that bit earlier ha

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When they first started I thought it was going to be two lanes heading into Claregalway from the Galway side. Think that would have been better both sides I still don't really see the need for the bus lane.

The turn off lanes are very short could do with being allot longer.

It's all to little too late, Claregalway needs a proper bypass. As long as this is only a short term solution and we'll have a proper solution with 5 years it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well ScumLord, C'Galway is not getting a bypass.... end of story.
    When the new Galway - Tuam motorway is built - that'll be the only bypass which Claregalway will be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

ScumLord wrote: »
    When they first started I thought it was going to be two lanes heading into Claregalway from the Galway side. Think that would have been better both sides I still don't really see the need for the bus lane.

Two lanes of traffic goin' into Claregalway from the Galway side :eek:. That'd be mayhem. It'd bottleneck an already existing bottleneck.

My understanding of the bus lane is to encourage more people living in Claregalway to use the buses. That stretch of road along the bus lane, was/is always the biggest delay. So putting the bus lane in there should encourage folk to take the bus. But we do like our cars.

I find goin' thru' Claregalway from the Galway side much quicker in the evenings since they put the lights in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Well ScumLord, C'Galway is not getting a bypass.... end of story.
    When the new Galway - Tuam motorway is built - that'll be the only bypass which Claregalway will be getting.
    Sadly that by-pass will be 10 miles too far away to solve the problem properly.:mad:
    and it's not a Tuam - Galway Motorway, it's a Tuam to Athenry one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

DeadSkin wrote: »
    My understanding of the bus lane is to encourage more people living in Claregalway to use the buses. That stretch of road along the bus lane, was/is always the biggest delay. So putting the bus lane in there should encourage folk to take the bus. But we do like our cars.

Unfortunately there has been no increase in the frequency of buses between town and Claregalway. No bus runs to Claregalway/Tuam after 6.15 weekdays evenings. By contrast there is a bus every 30 mins to Oranmore up until 8.30pm.

Unless there the bus service is geared up drastically the bus lanes will be a waste of public money and all the disruption it caused will be for little benefit. Extra frequency should have been guaranteed from Bus Eireann before the lane was built. They are notorious slow in reacting to changing conditions. Despite all the growth in population in Galway City, Clareglaway and Tuam the timetable has not altered in the last 15 years. Not one extra bus has been laid on. The consequence of this inaction is the congestion we experience every morning.

Are there any private buses doin' that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Two lanes of traffic goin' into Claregalway from the Galway side :eek:. That'd be mayhem. It'd bottleneck an already existing bottleneck.
    I don't see how. Going Galway - Tuam direction if the right lane was for turning off it would let all the Tuam traffic shot straight through. The way it is the Bus has to filter back into the normal lane and then that splits for the turn off, it should at least be the other way around normal lanes merges into bus lane. That turn off lane just isn't long enough to make that much of a difference.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how. Going Galway - Tuam direction if the right lane was for turning off it would let all the Tuam traffic shot straight through. The way it is the Bus has to filter back into the normal lane and then that splits for the turn off, it should at least be the other way around normal lanes merges into bus lane. That turn off lane just isn't long enough to make that much of a difference.

But there is very little traffic turning right onto that road.
    I'd say 99% of the traffic goin' Galway-Tuam direction are goin straight thru', the remaining 1%[possibly less] are turning right.

Are there any private buses doin' that route?
    Yes Burkes they have a bus at 6.20 (and during the college term / week days about 9pm)

Once the bus lane is done on the other side of the village for morning traffic it will give a decent advantage to bus users.

Advertisement