Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-Tailoring a suit ?

• 30-09-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Dublin which would be able to re-tailor a suit ?

My brother gave me a beautiful three month old suit that he's decided he no longer likes (navy pinstripe - dunno why). Unfortunately for me he's about two sizes larger than me, in both the chest & stomach (big guy).

Is there anywhere that would be able to make it fit ? Seems a real shame to give it away. He paid almost €900 for it at the start of the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'm not sure about anyone who does suits in particular, but I've had great experiences with Des Byrne on grafton st. He's just above Burger King.

He did a bridesmaid dress for me a few months back (took it in all the way from the armpit to the hem) and it was flawless.

If it works out, will you reply back and let me know how you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

I've quite a bit of menswear tailoring experience and have made and altered top end mens suits and, to be honest, I wouldn't trust anyone who would claim to be able to alter a suit to that extent.

One of the big problems is that shoulders and armholes will be too large. This area is pretty much impossible to alter.

Seams can be taken in around the back and sides and the sleeves and jacket length can be shortened, maybe back neck alterations if needed but a two size difference is massive and it won't be possible to even do these sort of alterations on that scale without completely ruining the shape of the jacket.

The trouser's are going need about 4" taken in at the waist, never mind the hips and the fork, and anything on that scale will again completely ruin the shape of the trousers.

Be very wary of anyone who claims they can take a suit down two sizes. As much as I wish I could give you good news, I can only recommend gaining weight or selling the suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

There's a alterations place on South Anne's street, it's above an old wine bar/restauraunt that's meant to be good, my dad got a good jacket altered there a while ago, maybe pop into them and see if they think it'd be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

becah wrote: »
    There's a alterations place on South Anne's street

The Alterations Centre as far as I remember.
    becah wrote: »
    One of the big problems is that shoulders and armholes will be too large.

I have to agree with DesignLady, the suit won't drape correctly after such drastic alterations. The shoulders need to be perfect, if not, the rest of the jacket will be affected.

Was it a tailored suit or off-the-rack?

-Patrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Heelballdos

Can you tell me if I can alter my own suit, I've lost a considerable amount of weight and my black pinstripe no longer fits correctly and unfortunately I'm quite attached to it.
    DesignLady wrote: »
    I've quite a bit of menswear tailoring experience and have made and altered top end mens suits and, to be honest, I wouldn't trust anyone who would claim to be able to alter a suit to that extent.

One of the big problems is that shoulders and armholes will be too large. This area is pretty much impossible to alter.

Seams can be taken in around the back and sides and the sleeves and jacket length can be shortened, maybe back neck alterations if needed but a two size difference is massive and it won't be possible to even do these sort of alterations on that scale without completely ruining the shape of the jacket.

The trouser's are going need about 4" taken in at the waist, never mind the hips and the fork, and anything on that scale will again completely ruin the shape of the trousers.

Be very wary of anyone who claims they can take a suit down two sizes. As much as I wish I could give you good news, I can only recommend gaining weight or selling the suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

To give a proper answer, what size were you beforehand and what is the change in your measurements?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Heelballdos, please don't drag up old threads. Just start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement