Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Page Layout

Options
  • 30-09-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭

We have been playing about with the index page as page of a redesign. Some elements of the old page did not function correctly, so we are rolling out a tweaked index page, this is not the final design but contains elements of where we want to go.

Back Ground Image:

This will be the most obvious element of the change. The back ground image is an element that we can change from time to time, for Patricks Day, Halloween, Xmas etc.

Google Search:

We are looking at ways to improve the search results and have implemented a google custom search tool. Results are displayed as a single result, 4 results or 8 results depending on the number of results available and which icon below the search box is clicked. At the end of the results, Clicking more results will bring you to the familiar google search results page.

Use of this search will reduce load on the servers.

Forum Filters

This feature is now integrated into the Latest forum posts Bar, making the filter more obvious but more importantly the filters should work properly now.

Other changes are

Latest forum posts does not show the poster name
    The various recent updates have been moved
    The number of Adverts.ie display posts have been increased and the advert descriptions have more space.
    Added a 300*250 pixel MPU to the index page.
    Given the Boards.ie events a new position due to the popularity of these meets and events.

We will continue to amend elements, but this is the biggest change to date and should provide more useful features.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Vex.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

It's not working so well for me :(

Edit: Started working after 10+ refreshes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Vexorg wrote: »
    Latest forum posts does not show the poster name

Can we keep this? There are threads that mightn't normally appeal to me but if I see someone who I respect has posted in it last I might pop in for a look to see what they have to say. I like that feature.

Not liking the google ad thing on the right at all tbh. Too big and I hate ads.

It's working now if you hit refresh a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

OMG What just happened!!!?!?!?!?? Actually its quite pretty, but why no new posts? Is that just a temporary thing?
    Oh recent posts came up this time. I agree with Xavi on the poster name thing.

I agree with Xavi.WOuld like to see who made the last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I guess it looks pretty cool, but i dont like the lack of user names beside the posts...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Jesus lads give me a chance to change the fecking file names.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I like the new layout, especially the search. Reminds me of the bad old days with no search *sob* :D

I'm not dying about the background, colour me plain jane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Dont like the way the comments are all push on top of each other hard to read

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a big fan of background.. it's a bit distracting.. but that's just me!

Am optimistic for future changes.

Latest Forum Posts Filter is fantastic. Kudos to CuLT.

Old front page is still available here for anyone who is distressed :)

http://www.boards.ie/index-old.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought i logged into the wrong site for a second o_0

looks good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

CuLT wrote: »

You are no longer considered human. :)

basquille wrote: »

Latest Forum Posts Filter is fantastic. Kudos to CuLT.

agreed. That's a quality little feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a nice big empty space on the bottom right - just big enough for daft.ie :p
    Oops sorry I see its already in the left column.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like it, good job. FWIW, I also miss the 'poster' on the list though...

Putting on my Web Dev hat, I would make the background colour of the menu #00C1EA to blend in with the main blue though...

Also loving the built-in Google search..

I always use Google for searching Boards so this is something I'd definitely use often.
    Mr E wrote:
    I would make the background colour of the menu #00C1EA to blend in with the main blue though...
    ** darting eyes **

We don't take kindly to you and your hex ways around here! ;)

I'd actually leave that white (or #FFFFFF ;)) as the dark blue hyperlinks against the blue background is a bit "fugly"!

Actually, make that #F5F5FF (think that's the same off-gray primary colour used by a RGB-Hex conversion).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What's with all the fluffy clouds?
    I think they are missing sugar plum fairies and star dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Would like to see the last poster name on threads

Depending on who it is, I'll view the thread.

Beruthiel, its the new Cloud skin :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well why did you go and do that then?
    I like the new google search feature, but I wanna see who the latest poster is. And get rid of them blue skies. This is boards.ie for fecks sake. We havent even seen a sky like that since 19 diggity 1. I log in in work and people reckon I am looking at some sort of religious cult's homepage or cancer support centre. Not good for the image.

[screaming child]Want it NOWWWWWW!!!!!![/screaming child]

• Advertisement

To address what I think people will find the most pressing concerns:

Google search: This is not an ominous return to Google searching for the whole site. Fact of the matter is that the old search box was generally speaking *less* accurate than this Google custom search because it was just a basic keyword search. Mostly, guest users and casual users use the search box on the front page, regulars and long term users will used Advanced Search because they often know exactly what and where they're looking for. This has not been removed or altered, advanced search is still there and unhindered.

No last poster: This was basically deemed unimportant to the content (also it didn't fit in with the other columns at 1024x768), which I agree with, and what I may end up doing is adding in a filter for "friends" so it will show latest posts by people in your buddy list. Remains to be seen!

Background: This really grew on me for some reason, it was done by an outside designer, and the more I stared at it in the background of various design shuffles the more I liked it. Plus the opportunity for seasonal background changes is too good to pass up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You are no longer considered human. :)

Was he ever?

Yeah I'm not too crazy about the frontpage image. Plain jane is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

its not just my front page that has changed everything has. Cant see how many posts people have stars when they joined and their sig, Also comments are hearly on top of each other. Anyone elses like this?

No last poster: This was basically deemed unimportant to the content, which I agree with, and what I may end up doing is adding in a filter for "friends" so it will show latest posts by people in your buddy list. Remains to be seen!

Seems a lot of users find it important though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Beruthiel wrote: »
    What's with all the fluffy clouds?
    I think they are missing sugar plum fairies and star dust.
    Haha, I just fin watching the Simpsons, switched over to Boards, thought, OMG my eyes have gone weird. Do not like the clouds at all:(, think it cheapens the site.
    *Sorry Cult*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No last poster: This was basically deemed unimportant to the content (also it didn't fit in with the other columns at 1024x768), which I agree with, and what I may end up doing is adding in a filter for "friends" so it will show latest posts by people in your buddy list. Remains to be seen!

If you think this does not matter you don't understand people

Mike

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Seems a lot of users find it important though

time for a poll!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Background: This really grew on me for some reason, it was done by an outside designer, and the more I stared at it in the background of various design shuffles the more I liked it. Plus the opportunity for seasonal background changes is too good to pass up :)

It won't grow on ballywell ole me my good man.
    This is the first time I have ever suffered from SAD. And it is caused by the front page of this noble site.
    And that makes me a sad panda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Last poster yoke doesn't bother me too much. Give it time and review it later if other things pop up. Thanks CuLT and Vexorg.

• Advertisement

Don't care about 'Last Poster' meself.

Not trying to seem pretentious and full of my own self-importance.. but my opinion trumps all yours...

.. oh wait, guess I was!

Advertisement