Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Page Layout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'd agree with all who miss the "last poster" field. Don't mind the idea of a background but don't like the current fluffy cloud.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

just a another whinge on the last poster, I find it really useful and of all the changes am really surprised it was decided to leave it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looks fine to me.

The new filter is good, the skin doesn't bother me at all. The adds are subtle enough not to be intrusive or distracting. Good job as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

click on the NEW POSTS option for the last poster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Works fine especially the post filtering which is dead handy, only things which don't work or I don't like are; 1) the list of current posts seems deformed in shape compared to previously, much thinner & longer & the bright background pic makes random scrolling in work a bit more difficult, but other than that keep up the great work ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,707 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Beruthiel wrote: »

where is this? im just not seeing it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

For me that background image really has to go. Regardless of my opinion that the image is hideous, it creates a huge contrast problem against the normal blues of the site and makes the homepage hard to look at and hard to read.

Bright blue cloud images like that only work on web-2.0-ish sites with limited text and a lot of curves and bright colours.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

but that is a drop down, pick the right menu, click it and wait for the seach to complete? either that or I am missing a shortcut.

not really the same thing. I'm not saying that this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, but it is close:D.

I nearly didn't click in to see what had been posted, if I had known it was you I would've been all over it like white on rice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hate it...everything's crammed too much together...and the blue colour blinding me?? arghg!!! I'm blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Looks ****, pretty much like the direction boards has gone over the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

To give a completely honest opinion, design-wise the current front page only has three redeeming features:

1. It does (less so with the bright blue) display a huge amount of links, text, etc quite well. This is largely because it's a deliberately ugly page where not much fluff is allowed to get in the way.

2. I like the footer. It's a nice clean bit of design.

3. The dhtml menu is as always extremely handy (less so on the bright blue).

The rest is a massive aesthetic compromise that we put up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

copacetic wrote: »
    but that is a drop down, pick the right menu, click it and wait for the seach to complete? either that or I am missing a shortcut.

not really the same thing. I'm not saying that this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, but it is close:D.

I nearly didn't click in to see what had been posted, if I had known it was you I would've been all over it like white on rice!

Are you clicking the link on this page, or looking for it on the front page?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This thread is just one big stinking pile of "meh".

The front page changed. So what? No last poster. So what?

Subbed threads ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

smashey wrote: »
    This thread is just one big stinking pile of "meh".

The front page changed. So what? No last poster. So what?

Subbed threads ftw.

Subbed thread doesn't fix the problem people are complaining about though. Some people will open up a thread if they see that their buddy has posted in it.

Besides this is Feedback isn't it? An Admin started a thread about some changes to the front page and people are giving feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

The front page reminds me of 1999, when I was trying to make my new eircom homepage on netscape. I was delighted with my fluffy clouds, until I realised every other homepage had them too.

I'm glad I changed them too, before my friends got the interweb, or they certainly would have called me ghey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I hate the new front page. I hated the old front page, and the one before that and the one before that too when they where first adopted. How I use boards will change and adapt, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I tend not to use any of the features on the front page bar the javascript menu, so the only changes i've noticed are the cosmetic ones, which i'm liking.

i agree with Hex about the colour though.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd like to hear more from the people with constructive criticism, so when all the hoo hah has blown over I'll open a thread in the Development forum, so keep an eye out :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I really like the idea of a changeable BG, but I'm inclined to agree with the above comments - I'm thinking build your own angelfire web sites circa 1999!

So the issue is just really with the blue fluffiness of the clouds really!

Easy fixed to match...
    Actually how will the changeable BG work with other skins.?

boardsBG_thumb.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my main page is stuck on 13:22

does this mean I will stop ageing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

CuLT wrote: »
    I'd like to hear more from the people with constructive criticism, so when all the hoo hah has blown over I'll open a thread in the Development forum, so keep an eye out :)

It's too new
    It's too dark
    It doesn't do that thing I like
    Its too bright
    Can me get round box's instead of rectangular ones
    The blue is too rich, can we have something more like the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Don't like it.
    Don't like the background picture. - Is their an option to change the front page to match whatever style you have selected? Makes it hard to surf in work.
    Would like to have the last poster displayed also.

Dades wrote: »
    I really like the idea of a changeable BG, but I'm inclined to agree with the above comments - I'm thinking build your own angelfire web sites circa 1999!

So the issue is just really with the blue fluffiness of the clouds really!

Easy fixed to match...
    Actually how will the changeable BG work with other skins.?

boardsBG_thumb.jpg
    I like this idea.

Ctrl+F5.

Looks a little too dark maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

My main page is stuck on 12:59
    Any help greatly appreciated.

chef wrote: »
    My main page is stuck on 12:59
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    This is a caching bug that I thought I had gotten rid of, will have a look again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No. I liked it exactly where it was - on the index page. It seems that functionality of the page is being sacrificed for way too much ad space. The page is much too crowded now - signal to noise ratio is high.

And the graphic :eek: I read boards in work - which is why I use the White theme - it doesn't stand out. That ... monstrosity ... stands out a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New background is nice.. though obviously need to blended with top-menu.. and change the font colour of the menu to something brighter maybe.

But it's getting there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Terrible terrible layout and colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Macros42 wrote: »
    No. I liked it exactly where it was - on the index page. It seems that functionality of the page is being sacrificed for way too much ad space. The page is much too crowded now - signal to noise ratio is high.

And the graphic :eek: I read boards in work - which is why I use the White theme - it doesn't stand out. That ... monstrosity ... stands out a lot.

On the constructive side - I like the drop down list for cats and the google search. The left column is handy - if you use tweet/social/etc. Which I don't. How about making them modules a lá iGoogle? No idea how much work that would be ofc. I'd rather had adverts on the left and the other stuff down below the scroll line.

Overall I think the changes are negative - sorry :( But I understand it's not finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

CuLT wrote: »
    I like this idea.

Ctrl+F5.

Looks a little too dark maybe.

No, not too dark, colour is better now. a bit more sedate :)

Now if I could just find out who is writing the most recent replies I think most of the constructive whinging can stop ;) (Maybe you could sacrifice some of the width given to Forum titles - the longer ones can end with ...)

Advertisement