Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Page Layout

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CuLT wrote: »
    I like this idea.

Ctrl+F5.
    I refreshed before checking this thread and had a serious does not compute moment!

Now we just need to make the corners transparent on the Digiweb banner. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The front page looks good - seriously, am I the only one who thinks that the clouds background actually looks better?

Being able to see the last posts in particular forums is deadly, very useful. Google search is a good idea too although I've found the regular search to generally do the trick anyway. Adding events to the front page is handy too. Not crazy about the big ads on the right hand side but meh, they're not the worst.

Thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The new background image colour is far better. The contrast issue is gone now and it fits in a lot better. It's also no longer in the way so it fits in with the pages purpose. I'd even go so far as to say that the reduction of white areas has made the page more readable now.

I'd suggest making the colour under the DHTML menu the same as the colour at the very top of the background image. It'll fit in a bit better if you do that.

The new layout has squashed the usable page content to the left a lot. I'm not sure how you can alter this though given the advert area's width. The right hand boxes need to be the same width on the page and the gap underneath events needs to be filled with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Why are changes being done in a live environment when the things are quite obviously in a test cycle?

Constructively, I think you can achieve site themes without the need to go over board with poor backgrounds such as the clouds one. The entire background of the site is too major a part of the screen for it to contain complex shapes and patterns, plain backgrounds with custom icons, buttons and graphics would be a far better, less intrusive solution.

Thinking about it though, Boards had already achieved this with the skins available, so one must wonder why anyone saw the need for the dramatic layout changes.

Functional changes I like a lot. New search is very interesting.

Like the new lighter top nav area...

To all the folks with issues about the BG - how much time do people actually spend on the homepage? It's hardly that intrusive on ONE page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I changed my mind about the bright background to the top-menu.. looks pretty odd. This might be better:

boardsrj3.th.jpgthpix.gif

Whatcha think?

This is what I meant earlier when I said blend the image with the top-menu and make the font brighter (i.e white)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looks pretty groovy, but it took 10-15 seconds to load for me

I'd suggest removing the table border from 'tborder' class or changing it to #FFFFFF. You've now got plenty of blue so re-add a tiny bit of white to the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dades wrote: »
    Like the new lighter top nav area...

To all the folks with issues about the BG - how much time do people actually spend on the homepage? It's hardly that intrusive on ONE page.

I don't spend too much time looking at the front of my house but I still want it to look nice. It's often the first page people will see so why should it look shabby? If I was someone interested in advertising on boards, I would consider the previous layout+BG more professional looking.

Dave! wrote: »
    Looks pretty groovy, but it took 10-15 seconds to load for me

The first time or every time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Theres an RSS feed for lasts posts. Was this always here? I love this feature.

Any chance of a new thread just for suggestions? Seems like feedback and suggestions for changes / improvements might get muddled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Looks much better now you've tweaked the colours. Better than before the clouds even, I quite like them now they're a bit darker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

basquille wrote: »
    Any chance of a new thread just for suggestions? Seems like feedback and suggestions for changes / improvements might get muddled.
    Cult said he'd open a thread in Development when the initial screaming dies down :D

Macros42 wrote: »
    Cult said he'd open a thread in Development when the initial screaming dies down :D
    Oh yeah, just noticed that.. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I don't know if anyone has said this already (haven't time to read the whole thread) but I think that there's a change needed to the small men at the bottom right of the front page.

The speech bubbles are a lighter blue than the background but they really should be another colour, perhaps white.

Other than that, me likes. :)

javaboy wrote: »
    I don't spend too much time looking at the front of my house but I still want it to look nice. It's often the first page people will see so why should it look shabby?
    The point I was making was that homepages are usually more bells & whistles than content pages. This is for a purpose, as is the toned down layout of subsequent pages.

If you just think the page looks shabby though, that's a different kettle o' fish.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has said this already (haven't time to read the whole thread) but I think that there's a change needed to the small men at the bottom right of the front page.

The speech bubbles are a lighter blue than the background but they really should be another colour, perhaps white.

Other than that, me likes. :)
    That's been fixed now anyhoo.

Definitely looks better.. blends in with the white font at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you just think the page looks shabby though, that's a different kettle o' fish.

The front page always looked awful, still it could be www.finfacts.ie :eek:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://boards.ie

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

mike65 wrote: »
    The front page always looked awful, still it could be www.finfacts.ie :eek:

Mike

SO....MUCH.....TEXT! :eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Looks OK to me, but seven ads, even though as a subscriber I have ads turned off. Can we have an option to hide those ads?

Jeez that Finfacts is one long webpage!

Homepages for forums must be one of the toughest to get right, though.
    All the feckin' stuff you have to put on them.

Jeez that Finfacts is one long webpage!

Oh it's not that long: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=64109&stc=1&d=1222785513

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mike65 wrote: »

Now that's a cool link....

Boards in 2000:
    boards2002.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Another whinge is that boards used to load pretty quickly and well on my phone. Changes have borked that up pretty good...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Homepage is stuck on 15.45 for me.

Likin the change in colour. Only things left that I'm not a fan of are those feckin google ads and the lack of last poster. All good apart from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

CuLT wrote: »
    To address what I think people will find the most pressing concerns:

...and what I may end up doing is adding in a filter for "friends" so it will show latest posts by people in your buddy list. Remains to be seen!

That would be a nice idea.

What I think would be really useful is a filter to select modded forums. It would be a quick way for mods to check things out.

Hagar wrote: »
    What I think would be really useful is a filter to select modded forums. It would be a quick way for mods to check things out.
    That would be cool... as would a box displaying links your most visited forums!

Given the huge rate that posts are made on Boards, even in the wee hours of the morning, would it not make more sense to show the time only and use the space freed up to put back the poster username. As it is the variance in time from top to bottom is generally less than two minutes and at midnight the times from the two different days would be there for five minutes maximum. I'm not overly worried about whether the username is there or not but the date does seem somewhat redundant if it's there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I cant think of anything pendantic to say at this time so i will have to be serious.

Heres my tupence anyway:
    In general i like it. however page looks all over the place if not viewed at the correct screen resolution full screen (on IE anyway)

It has a brighter, cheerier look to it, looks welcoming.

On the constructive criticism side
    The page does look a bit cluttered although maybe its because we aint used to it yet. The google ad on the right looks awful though, it doesnt fit with the theme of the page.

Last poster bit is missed but again maybe its because we arent used to the new front page yet.

I would rather see the background cover the full top of the page rather than stop just under the drop downs. Looks odd.

The 5 dudes in the bottom right of the screen are freaking me out too. Im clicking them but they wont go away! :p

oh btw, well done to those involved with the update!

Advertisement