Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIP for iphone 2.1?

• 30-09-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea when we will see a SIP app, through cydia or appstore for 2.1?

What's the hold up, if truphone can do it I dont see why its taking the "community" so long to get one out, or am I missing something?

Truphone is all well and good but I want to use my own SIP settings.

Arrrrgh, Apple bug the hell out of me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

+1

I would like to be able to use Blueface on my iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Well if you have a jailbroken phone there is a program called "fring" that was out a while ago. I tried it using blueface sip settings and to be honest it was terribly laggy but it was onlyin beta stage so maybe it's improved so check it out. I have tried truphone to order a pizza from domino's :) and it seemed to work perfectly so it's not too bad and you get a dollar free cedit to test it out. Blueface is a very good voip though been using them for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

There is no Fring for 2.1, if there was I would have it in a heart beat, it works really well on Nokia.

Truphone is really good, but I dont want to pay 6c a minute when I can pay 0c a minute with voipstunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

According to Fring's forum, they have submitted a new version of Fring to the app store. Seemingly the VOIP will only work over wi-fi and it's not clear whether they'll charge for the app or not.

Thanks for that link, very helpful.

It seems we will have VOIP in what ever form we like within the next few HOURS............ let the countdown begin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

It's available on the app store now. Seems to work quite well, although the testing I've done is limited, to be fair.

Great stuff, I will test and report back, initial reports seem to be good, some little niggles but thats down to the way the iphone works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Most impressed, so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

+1 for FRING , had it on old S/W and have just loaded now . Top app !

I am impressed so far, I will be interested to see how it works with "Backgrounder" when I get around to installing it.

I am using it with Voipstunt, and when I choose it from the list of providers on the SIP add-on, it let me log in. When I went to make a call it just terminated the call, without even connecting.

So I choose "other SIP" and entered all the details manually, it now works.

Strange seeing as the details I entered were identical to the ones provided by Fring

Just in case anyone else is having the same problems the voipstunt server is sip.voipstunt.com or sip1.voipstunt.com both work for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Very buggy app so far and the lag is pretty bad so looks like they will have to tweak it a bit yet.

Lag is shocking, talking the 1000ms range, its almost not worth using.....

It seems there is a patch out to let you use it over 3G, which would be interesting if 3G was not laggy on its own!

http://rapidshare.com/files/150907173/Fring_patched_for_3G.ipa

Advertisement