Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old are you and how did you get into musicals?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Beibhinn20

definitely a daughter dad thing! im 20 and have been into musicals for longer than i can remember really...its so dads influence my mum couldn't hold a melody if she tried (but bless,she tries).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

I was bored one evening in college and went to see DCU Drama's production of Jesus Christ Superstar in Victories Church outside DCU. Odd start but I've loved musicals ever since. I've been to almost all of DCU Drama's shows (which have thankfully moved out of chapels and into the Helix) and travelled to Belfast and London to see a few. Avenue Q was my latest and I'm still singing the songs a month later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

ha thanks for that fonpokno, i dunno i actually quite like depp's voice and i think bonham carter made a really good job at potraying mrs lovett, plus i like the cgi and the gothic style of sweeney and mrs lovett. Also I heard that the ending in the musical is that toby goes mad, is that true? cos i prefer the cold blooded revenger toby:D

but i think i will see it if i get the chance, i mean why not?:D

Edit: and also, while Johnny Depp is really like the most amazing actor he just doesn't have to singing voice to pull it off well enough for my liking.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I think the endings are the same! Not quite as graphic as the film again but the same I think!

I think the reason I was underwhelmed by Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter was because the cast of the show I saw (in The Gate about 6 months or a year before the movie was released) had the most amazing voices! Like ridiculously powerful and stuff. The voice of Todd especially. In the movie his vocals are like really clean and smooth whereas in the play there's something of a growl in his voice which is like both amazingg and uber sexy! :p

This is the best version i could find... Listen to this from about 5.35 for the Ballad of Sweeney Todd. I think it's just a great song. And you get to hear the real growl in Sweeney's voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

fonpokno wrote: »
    I think the endings are the same! Not quite as graphic as the film again but the same I think!

I think the reason I was underwhelmed by Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter was because the cast of the show I saw (in The Gate about 6 months or a year before the movie was released) had the most amazing voices! Like ridiculously powerful and stuff. The voice of Todd especially. In the movie his vocals are like really clean and smooth whereas in the play there's something of a growl in his voice which is like both amazingg and uber sexy! :p

This is the best version i could find... Listen to this from about 5.35 for the Ballad of Sweeney Todd. I think it's just a great song. And you get to hear the real growl in Sweeney's voice!

i watched it, its pretty good, and i can see what ya mean by the growl in the voice, but i still like the calm powerful voice depp had, and you gotta understand i am a guy so i prefered bonham carter as mrs lovett;):D
    but then again it is true its way different watching a video from the live musical than actually being present at the musical(we've done wicked in school ant it just didn't feel the same watching the dvd afterwards):D

• Advertisement

Ahh dudes, we're not allowed talk about MCD venues, I'm a freakin idiot, I was doing it!

List of venues we're not allowed to discuss here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I'm 23! Always been a music head and fell in love with the local musical society a few years ago when they put on a production of My Fair Lady but only joined last week cos I've been out of my home town for the last five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

I got sucked into DCU Drama at the age of 29 (bloody mature students), and havent looked back!

I appeared in Sweet Charity, The Full Monty and Fame, and even after leaving the college, managed to get roped back in to produce this year's show - RENT.

With the help of a brilliant committee, I arranged the very first of the now-annual DCU Drama Broadway Baby trips - where we took 30-40 students to New York for 4 nights to see three shows. Over the years, we've seen Wicked, Spamalot, Hairspray, Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, RENT, Avenue Q, Spring Awakening, Chicago and a lot more.

I'm totally hooked now, can't get enough :)

Oh I know a girl who went on that trip this year! She loved it, that trip makes me wish I was in DCU...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

There's still time! Quick! Change your course....

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Like everyone here, I got interested through my parents love of musicals. But, being a bloke I might be in the minority. Grew up with all the MGM classics as well as Disney. Got into music heavily when I was about 13, took up drums, then got very interested in the musical arrangement side of things. I guess only in the past 3 years or so has my interested picked back up again. My girlfriend is the same,so that helps. All of her workmates get so jealous when she tells them im taking her to shows, seeing as most of their boyfriends would run a mile if they suggested going. Lousy!

Edit: Forgot to add, im 27 :D

Your girlfriend is so lucky! My other half is less than enthusiastic about musicals... Although I managed to drag him to Mamma Mia and he actually enjoyed it! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

To all you teeny boppers out there...

Just glanced down through some of these posts and you all seem to be 20 somethings and got interested through your parents.

Well, I'm the opposite.....pushing 50 and only got interested through my daughter taking part in local productions.

Just back from a weekend in Derry having been to see Evita in the Millenium Forum and it was brilliant. Best show I've seen - mind you haven't seen too many:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Megsy

I'm 17 and I've pretty much always enjoyed musicals.

When I was very young I was in a speech and drama group and being the little ones we made up a lot of the chorus. I eventually stopped that though and didn't attend any sort of drama/theatre classes til I was about 14 or so. I've only been in a few musicals like "The Wizard of Oz", "Annie", "Oliver" (twice) and just recently "Back to the 80's".

I also grew up watching pretty much any Disney movie ever made so I've always liked watching musicals too. Recently though I've gotten a lot more into them thanks to my boyfriend, who is a big fan of broadway and musicals.

The only musical which I have seen on stage is "The Blood Brothers" which was an absolutely fantastic show. I'd love to go to Broadway or the West End someday though and see something like "Chicago" or "Sweeney Todd".

Speaking of Sweeney Todd actually, I really enjoyed the film version with Depp but has anyone else seen the Broadway version which had Angela Lansbury in it? There are vids of it on youtube and I have to say she makes an absolutely hilarious Mrs. Lovett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm 25 and have always liked musicals. Music would have been something I was always surrounded by at home (songs being played, or people singing). Would have watched lots of MGM films and disney films etc - always enjoyed musicals.
    I knew every word to ones like Mary Poppins/Alice in Wonderland and so forth. And I still love them now - a musical can just cheer you up :)

Megsy wrote: »

Speaking of Sweeney Todd actually, I really enjoyed the film version with Depp but has anyone else seen the Broadway version which had Angela Lansbury in it? There are vids of it on youtube and I have to say she makes an absolutely hilarious Mrs. Lovett.

I've seen clips on the Angela Lansbury Mrs Lovett and I'd say she was deadly. But she's deadly in everything. :) You should really try to get to a production of Sweeney Todd if you can. The stage show is so far superior to the Johnny Depp movie. Like I was incredibly with the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Costigan

I went to NYC a few years back with the EX neither of us liked the things but we decided it was the done thing to do to go and see one. She choose legally blonde and I loved it hahaha. Next night went to see the producers and the night after went to see a third but the name escape me (It had Myles from Fraizer in it). Moved to London a while back and have seen a few here as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Costigan wrote: »
    I went to NYC a few years back with the EX neither of us liked the things but we decided it was the done thing to do to go and see one. She choose legally blonde and I loved it hahaha. Next night went to see the producers and the night after went to see a third but the name escape me (It had Myles from Fraizer in it). Moved to London a while back and have seen a few here as well. :D

Spamalot?

Spamalot?

It wasn't but i have seen that. Wasn't too impressed with Spamalot :rolleyes:. It was something about detectives I'll find out and let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

• Advertisement

Advertisement