Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Banks Accepting Irish residents

Options
  • 30-09-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I am resident in the Republic of Ireland and work in Northern Ireland, thefore my salary is in pounds. I would like to open a savings account with a UK bank, but they will not accept me as I am not a resident of the UK.

Does anyone know of any UK banks which will accept an Irish Resident to open a savings account?

Higgs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

I was in the same position until recently and had to have an NI account into which wages were paid ... loads of us were in the same position. I banked with Ulster Bank but I know of other who had/have accounts with B.O.I, First Trust etc etc...

Shouldn't be a problem ... you need same ID stuff as here & they open the account as a non resident account & everything is above board! Can't understand why you are having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Hi Higgsy,

Some savings accounts need a NI number, which you should have if you work up here?

I have an ISA with Nationwide, all they needed was a NI number and the usual name, address, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Given the recent changes in Deposit Protection schemes, why would you want to open a UK account. I hear that UK residents are moving their money into Irish Bank accounts because of the guarantees (UK Banks aren't very happy!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

homer911 wrote: »
    Given the recent changes in Deposit Protection schemes, why would you want to open a UK account. I hear that UK residents are moving their money into Irish Bank accounts because of the guarantees (UK Banks aren't very happy!)
    Higgsy wrote: »
    Hi,

I am resident in the Republic of Ireland and work in Northern Ireland, thefore my salary is in pounds. I would like to open a savings account with a UK bank, but they will not accept me as I am not a resident of the UK.

Does anyone know of any UK banks which will accept an Irish Resident to open a savings account?

Higgs

That's why.....

What you need to do is find out who your employer banks with and ask them (your employers) to write you a letter asking their bank to facilitate you in opening a bank a/c. It would also be preferable if your HR dept could find out who looks after the company a/c in the bank and ask for an appointment with same. With suitable ID and proof of address this should not be an issue.

Advertisement