Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCA catches another dealer clocking

Options
  • 30-09-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Press release from the NCA yesterday, it's good they are starting to go after these dealers but penalties are rather weak in my opinion, not sure how much of a deterrent it is....................

National Consumer Agency obtains formal undertaking from a Dublin car sales

29 September 2008

As a result of a recent investigation, the National Consumer Agency formed the view that Airport Used Cars Centre Limited, 508 Woodpark, Ballinteer Road Dublin 16, (trading at Old Airport Road, Cloughran, County Dublin) had been engaging in misleading commercial practices by selling or offering for sale used motor vehicles with altered /reduced odometer readings (clocked cars). The Consumer Protection Act 2007 prohibits practices such as the selling of clocked cars or offering them for sale.

The National Consumer Agency, as part of its proactive campaign to eliminate the misleading commercial practice of selling clocked cars, visited the company's premises at Old Airport Road. Arising from checks on odometer readings of 15 cars and a follow up investigation, the Agency established that three motor vehicles had altered odometer readings, i.e. the mileage readings on the clocks were significantly below those recorded before the cars were sold to Airport Used Cars Centre Limited.

As a means of ensuring that the company would refrain from selling clocked cars in the future, the Agency has sought and obtained a formal undertaking from Airport Used Cars Centre Limited. In addition to giving a commitment to cease the practice of selling clocked cars, Airport Used Cars Centre has undertaken to compensate consumers affected by the misleading commercial practices. This could include reimbursement of money received from consumers in connection with the sale of clocked cars, or taking back the cars. The National Consumer Agency will continue to monitor the company to ensure that that it fully complies with the terms of the undertaking.

Commenting on the undertaking given by Airport Used Cars Centre Limited, the Chief Executive of the National Consumer Agency, Ms. Ann Fitzgerald said "This is the third undertaking which the Agency has obtained this year from car dealers. Two dealers in Limerick and Galway have already undertaken to cease the practice and compensate consumers. In addition we also successfully prosecuted another Co. Galway dealer for selling clocked cars. We intend to continue to use the various enforcement tools available to us under the Consumer Protection Act 2007 in our drive to stop the serious and anti consumer practice of selling clocked cars to unsuspecting customers."

The CEO advised that the obtaining a formal undertaking from Airport Used Cars Centre would have the effect of:

* putting a stop to the misleading practice by the dealer concerned
    * ensure that consumers get redress, and
    * help send a clear message to other dealers that they cannot mislead consumers by selling clocked cars and expect to get away with it.

"Car clocking or selling a clocked car is a very serious matter. Not alone does the practice cost the consumer money but it also puts the safety of road users at risk. The more wear and tear, the higher the risk of breakdown or accident". Ms. Fitzgerald said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

That is scary...20% of the sample they looked at. How many cars do those guys put out in 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its good to see that they've said they won't do it again... they sound like a trust wordy bunch..... :eek:

I would guess that the NCA can not prove that it was this garage that clocked the cars, and not the previous owner?? Cause if they could, surely the Gardai would be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Its good to see that they've said they won't do it again... they sound like a trust wordy bunch..... :eek:

I would guess that the NCA an not prove that it was this garage that clocked the cars, and not the previous owner?? Cause if they could, surely the Gardai would be involved.

the Agency established that three motor vehicles had altered odometer readings, i.e. the mileage readings on the clocks were significantly below those recorded before the cars were sold to Airport Used Cars Centre Limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

Thank God its about time the clockers were caught,

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

So all they got was a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,448 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NCA: "That's bold! Don't do it again"
    garage: "OK"

The End...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The NCA are like a bunch of toothless lions handing out this type (or lack of) punishment imo. They did the finger wagging thing a couple of months ago too with another dodgy dealer or two so obviously it is not working as alot of these places are willing to do it as the benefits outway the risks of getting caught.

If they want to be serious about stamping out this activity they need to hit these cowboys where it hurts, their wallets or permenantly shut them down.

Strong words and legal declorations are obviously not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

The dealer offered a different story to the Irish Times today:
    Michael Corless told The Irish Times yesterday the clocked cars had come from a third party and he had been caught "between the divil and the deep blue sea".

"They were cars I bought from different people but yes, I am responsible and the agency put me right on it," he said.

Two of the cars were imported from Britain and two came from Ireland. Mr Corless said the agency had accepted his explanation and was following up the information he had provided.

He claimed the agency had tested 200 cars and found problems with four. One of the customers loved his car so much he didn't want to change it and he gave him "a few quid" in compensation.

"I sell a lot of cars and this is the last thing you want to happen. I've a fairly good name in the trade and you have to remember it's just four cars in 20 years in the business."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

These people should be trialed in a criminal court for fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Attempt at PR damage limitations, my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

i suppose the only thing to come out of it is that his name has been draged trough the mud. Who's going to Buy a car of him now in these tough times.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@cvisser - most people won't know about this little incident!

I wonder what happens the clocked cars that are returned to the dealer. They can't sell them - can they give them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

kbannon wrote: »
    I wonder what happens the clocked cars that are returned to the dealer. They can't sell them - can they give them away?

Maybe they could avail of all them mileage correction services being offered in the buy and sell to "correct" the mileage :rolleyes:, then sell them on with the correct mileage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

The NCA are rubbish - the light touch would probably encourage more clockers than discourage them "hey lads look Airport Cars got off so lightly"

Clocking is a crime but for many dealers, especially small dealers its far too easy: buy a used Merk or BMW in the UK with 100.000 miles, bring it over to Ireland, clock down to 45,000 and hey presto, and extra €5000 profit!

The problem is that on newer cars, lets say 2005-2008, its very difficult to prove: many of these top end cars are ex-fleet company cars, they rack up motor way miles quickly and because in the UK they dont need an MOT (similar to NCT) for 3 years, the actual mileage of these cars is not recorded by any Government Body such as the DVLA or MOT Test Centres. However, most company cars will come with a service book with stamps and recorded mileage - this is perhaps the best and only way of proving what mileage of a car.

If you buy a car, ask was it imported from the UK, then ask for the service book and the UK Reg, if you get a NO for an answer, steer clear!

...no matter how low the price of the car seems!

Im selling a Saab 9-3 2006 for a good price, but I see Airport Cars selling a 2007 for a lowish price - is it the same crowd and am I competing on a level playing field?

Oh will Airport Cars phone up customers and say, "hi you bought a car from us last year, well we clocked that car...would you like your money back?"

Advertisement