Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Or Cork

Options
  • 30-09-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Having lived in galway for the past few months it certainly is more relaxed than cork.Its great that it has all the conveniences of a big city without feeling like one.It does have its scumbag element but so does everywhere.The only complaint i have is that come summer the place is swarmed with tourists.Cork is way smaller than dublin but much bigger than galway.I always saw it as a place that combines big city life with a homely small town feel.Really i couldnt pick one theres things i like about both places it like comparing ice cream and piza.I certainly do think that all of irelands regional cities need to coperate more to compete with the monster that is dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Why Thank you Cork man!! Yeah, Dublin's a bit of a monster. Did you know 40% of the countrys population is in the greater Dublin Catchment area!! That's shocking!!

As for Galway, yes, true, the tourists can be overwhelming in the summer, and the winters wet and miserable... but still, as a Spanish friend of mine pointed out, if it was sunny, tourism would totally destroy the place, like it did in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Greaney wrote: »
    Why Thank you Cork man!! Yeah, Dublin's a bit of a monster. Did you know 40% of the countrys population is in the greater Dublin Catchment area!! That's shocking!!

As for Galway, yes, true, the tourists can be overwhelming in the summer, and the winters wet and miserable... but still, as a Spanish friend of mine pointed out, if it was sunny, tourism would totally destroy the place, like it did in Spain

Personaly myself i would reccomend a visit to galway outside the peak season at times it can get a bit tacky.Thats not a dig its just an opinion.You seem to have no problems with dublin getting first preference for funding to the detriment of other places well i most certainly do and i think the city councils of cork limerick waterford and Galway need to coperate more with each other to work against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Well I do actually. What I find most annoying is the because they have 40% of the population the strain on resources has been huge. The Governments attempt at de-centralisation has failed partly due to the fact that there has been no development of infastructre of any note, outside of Dublin.

Secondly, incentives to move are not just pay packets. If the regions got more funding for other projects, the quality of life would be another incentive. The probelms that face communites outside of Dublin are an anethema to those in power because their experiece is of a Dublin resident and they can't concieve any thing outside of that narrow point of reference

I could go on but I'd get awful soap boxy about it

Greaney wrote: »
    Well I do actually. What I find most annoying is the because they have 40% of the population the strain on resources has been huge. The Governments attempt at de-centralisation has failed partly due to the fact that there has been no development of infastructre of any note, outside of Dublin.

Secondly, incentives to move are not just pay packets. If the regions got more funding for other projects, the quality of life would be another incentive. The probelms that face communites outside of Dublin are an anethema to those in power because their experiece is of a Dublin resident and they can't concieve any thing outside of that narrow point of reference

I could go on but I'd get awful soap boxy about it

No development or infasstructure outside dublin.I may be tooting my own horn but cork strikes as a good example as a place that can operate outside dublins influence.It produces it own stout and national newspaper and a few weeks ago there was the launch of the elysian the tallest buiding in ireland.So i think there is an infastructure outside dublin.I mean 2 decades ago cork was a decaying crumbling city in the past few years it has got completly revitalised.So i think our regional cities need more government attention because all of corks major developments was all because of the natives efforts it was nothing to do with assistance from dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Loads of tourists about in summer alright. Adds to the attraction of the place in my opinion. Love to see tourists milling about the streets of Galway. Place wouldn't be half as much craic without them

Galway seems to attract a better (dare I say it..) 'class' of tourist than most places I've been to! :D

• Advertisement

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Loads of tourists about in summer alright. Adds to the attraction of the place in my opinion. Love to see tourists milling about the streets of Galway. Place wouldn't be half as much craic without them

Galway seems to attract a better (dare I say it..) 'class' of tourist than most places I've been to! :D

Oh please galway attracts the same loud spanish tourists and fat americans you see in cork.I just think that in high summer galway is quite tacky.I guess some people like me prefer a more genuine atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Oh please galway attracts the same loud spanish tourists and fat americans you see in cork.I just think that in high summer galway is quite tacky.I guess some people like me prefer a more genuine atmosphere.

Tourists are great to have around cities whether it be Galway or Cork, give place a real buzz all through the week day and night.
    What on earth is a genuine atmosphere!! do you mean that every village town and city that has tourists (i.e. the places that people think are worth visiting) is false? and only a s**thole with no tourists can be wonderful and genuine!

Webbs wrote: »
    Tourists are great to have around cities whether it be Galway or Cork, give place a real buzz all through the week day and night.
    What on earth is a genuine atmosphere!! do you mean that every village town and city that has tourists (i.e. the places that people think are worth visiting) is false? and only a s**thole with no tourists can be wonderful and genuine!

Not at all there needs to be a balance you dont want the tourists completly taking over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Not at all there needs to be a balance you dont want the tourists completly taking over the place.

And how would ya go about that?????
    Stop the buses/trains we've reached our quota for this weekend!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Dublin is not that big, I used to live in bigger cities for years and it seems really small to me. :P

But if I'd have to chose between Cork and Galway, I would definitely chose Galway.. Why? Simply, because it rocks! ;)

Galway has unique atmosphere, great people smiling to each other (rather rare in Dublin), shop street, Galway Bay and even Guinness tastes better than in Cork..:D
    But job market sucks in Galway... :mad:

• Advertisement

Ya, personally I like to set up a sniper rifle onto of the Spanish Arch (oh the irony!!!) and aim for wax rain jackets...POP, POP!! :D

what exactly is a 'genuine atmosphere' anyway...Have never had any problem with tourists in Galway. If we didn't have the 'loud' spaniards and 'fat' americans, I for one would be sick and tired of looking at the same pasty-ass faces in the summer as in the winter...To be honest ye sound like a bit of a snob

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Dublin is not that big, I used to live in bigger cities for years and it seems really small to me. :P

But if I'd have to chose between Cork and Galway, I would definitely chose Galway.. Why? Simply, because it rocks! ;)

Galway has unique atmosphere, great people smiling to each other (rather rare in Dublin), shop street, Galway Bay and even Guinness tastes better than in Cork..:D
    But job market sucks in Galway... :mad:

The murphys and beamish taste better in cork and theres also a nice mix of small town big city feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

have to agree that Galway does get swarmed by annoying tourists during the peak season. its really nice this time of year walkin down shop street when the madness of the races and arts festival is over. dont get me wrong love the buzz of both of the above but im glad they are over for another year and galway returns to normality. Cork is very similar to Galway i have to say tho better shopping:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have this discussion regularly! I grew up in Cork and spent a year at college in Galway. I'm so happy to be back in Cork now. (And I'm not someone who thinks my home county is the only place to be. I have no problem moving elsewhere.) I found Galway to be far too small and claustrophobic. I used to see the same people in town everyday, and when it was busy it was awful! Too many people in such a small space.

The shopping in Galway depressed me too. I remember when Warehouse opened a few people I knew who were from Galway got so excited! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I hated not being able to buy everything I needed. Also, do shops still open at 2 on Sundays? That annoyed me!

Also, and this is going to be a shocker, I found that a lot of the people in Galway were unfriendly. When I go out I'll talk to anyone, but I found that people in Galway stuck to their own little groups. The pubs in Galway are great though!

I would never live in Galway again, but I definitely will visit. It's a great city, but not a great place to live. Dublin is probably a bit too big, but I don't think I'd mind living there as much. I think Cork has the best of both worlds.

Of course I'm biased because I'm from Cork, but I genuinely hated a lot of the time I spent in Galway. Obviously people from Galway will be biased too. The whole thing is just a matter of opinion though!

Galway is a lovely place, and great for a weekend, but it just wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

After living in Cork for several years, and now living in Galway for several months, I can honestly say that I was far happier in Cork. I find Galway so small, 5 minutes from one end of town to the other, tiny market which opens 1 day a week unlike the brilliant Cork English Market open 6 days a week. There are some very good places to eat in Galway but the traffic is dreadful - no planning at all seems to have gone into traffic management, a complete mess. I also feel, like previous poster, that people in Galway are very insular and no where near as friendly and funny as Cork people. Being near the sea is fantastic in Galway but give me Patrick Street, The Marina, The Lough, any day.

ingalway wrote: »
    I also feel, like previous poster, that people in Galway are very insular and no where near as friendly and funny as Cork people.

Galway people 'insular' in comparison to Corkonians?! :D:D 'People's Republic of Cork' anyone? Sorry but that's just too funny

Maybe if the government had plowed money into Galway's traffic problems like they did Cork with the Jack Lynch tunnel, fantastic Ballincollig bypass and airport roundabout flyovers (not to mention the improvement works to N25 and south ring rd) we'd have a decent chance of having an adequate infrastructure too...

I like Cork and have stayed there numerous times both professionally and for holidays, surfing etc. but if it was a choice between the canals and rivers of Galway or the more industrial, (dare I say it) insular Cork, I'd be picking Galway everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

janeybabe wrote: »
    I have this discussion regularly! I grew up in Cork and spent a year at college in Galway. I'm so happy to be back in Cork now. (And I'm not someone who thinks my home county is the only place to be. I have no problem moving elsewhere.) I found Galway to be far too small and claustrophobic. I used to see the same people in town everyday, and when it was busy it was awful! Too many people in such a small space.

The shopping in Galway depressed me too. I remember when Warehouse opened a few people I knew who were from Galway got so excited! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I hated not being able to buy everything I needed. Also, do shops still open at 2 on Sundays? That annoyed me!

Also, and this is going to be a shocker, I found that a lot of the people in Galway were unfriendly. When I go out I'll talk to anyone, but I found that people in Galway stuck to their own little groups. The pubs in Galway are great though!

I would never live in Galway again, but I definitely will visit. It's a great city, but not a great place to live. Dublin is probably a bit too big, but I don't think I'd mind living there as much. I think Cork has the best of both worlds.

Of course I'm biased because I'm from Cork, but I genuinely hated a lot of the time I spent in Galway. Obviously people from Galway will be biased too. The whole thing is just a matter of opinion though!

Galway is a lovely place, and great for a weekend, but it just wasn't for me.

I would agree with a lot of this, though I'm from Limerick so substitute Limerick for Cork.

However, I think you're being unfair on Galwegians when you say they're unfriendly, or overly generous to Cork people. Irish people, imo, tend to be insular and stick to their own groups as a rule. Yes we are friendly to strangers but we stick to what we know for the most part. This is probably a truism for people everywhere and I wouldn't think Galway is any better or worse than anywhere else for it.

Anyhow, back to the OP@s point, yes, the regions of Cork, Limerick and Galway have to assist each other in providing an alternative to Dublin. We need to move away from the parochialism that tends to dominate our politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Fascinating! I'm in the process of immigrating to Ireland, and am stuck between going to Galway or Cork (or Limerick) so its nice to read locals opinions, so to balance out my views from when I was a tourist. (No I'm not a loud Spaniard or fat American. :p)

Am curious as to which town has better health care?

Pana Oliver Plunkett Street The sunset over shandon and echo sellers.Echo Echo get your Evening Echo.

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Galway people 'insular' in comparison to Corkonians?! :D:D 'People's Republic of Cork' anyone? Sorry but that's just too funny

Maybe if the government had plowed money into Galway's traffic problems like they did Cork with the Jack Lynch tunnel, fantastic Ballincollig bypass and airport roundabout flyovers (not to mention the improvement works to N25 and south ring rd) we'd have a decent chance of having an adequate infrastructure too...

I like Cork and have stayed there numerous times both professionally and for holidays, surfing etc. but if it was a choice between the canals and rivers of Galway or the more industrial, (dare I say it) insular Cork, I'd be picking Galway everytime

What about the Beutiful Merchants Quay Centre.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I'm from Galway.
    I've lived in Limerick.
    I've been in Cork more times than I can count.

To be honest Galway is my number one but thats biased. But out of Cork and Limerick there really is only one runner/winner. Cork even if you do get the local accent like. Limerick well the less I say the better, I did not like the place one bit.
    missannik wrote: »

Thats just a big can of worms..... Cork, Limerick and Galway all have had reason to be in the news in a bad way about the health care system. Actually Health Care and Ireland any where outside of Dublin is just a bad situation.

missannik wrote: »
    Fascinating! I'm in the process of immigrating to Ireland, and am stuck between going to Galway or Cork (or Limerick) so its nice to read locals opinions, so to balance out my views from when I was a tourist. (No I'm not a loud Spaniard or fat American. :p)

No expert on healthcare but I'd say both are just as bad as each other. If you have money you wouldn't need to worry about it. Both have university college hospitals and both have large private clinics/hospitals. We all pay the same rates for medical insurance, ie there are only 3 or 4 companies that provide medical insurance, VHI, Bupa, etc

There are 3 major hospitals within Galway city. University Hospital, Merlin Park Hospital and Bon Secours. The Galway (private) Clinic is also within city limits. Not sure on details of Cork though

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Thanks Kayos and Bass- greatly appreciated. :) I'm a nurse, so curious about possible work options... although important to know about the stuff you guys mentioned too. Cheers.

kayos wrote: »
    I'm from Galway.
    I've lived in Limerick.
    I've been in Cork more times than I can count.

To be honest Galway is my number one but thats biased. But out of Cork and Limerick there really is only one runner/winner. Cork even if you do get the local accent like. Limerick well the less I say the better, I did not like the place one bit.

Thats just a big can of worms..... Cork, Limerick and Galway all have had reason to be in the news in a bad way about the health care system. Actually Health Care and Ireland any where outside of Dublin is just a bad situation.

So far everyone is just favouring their own home city, which is hardly surprising. What we need is a motorway connecting all three the separate areas aren't so important. In theory you should be able to drive from Limerick to either Cork or Galway in 45 minutes. Bypass Limerick and reduce the time between Galway and Cork to under 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

So far everyone is just favouring their own home city, which is hardly surprising. What we need is a motorway connecting all three the separate areas aren't so important. In theory you should be able to drive from Limerick to either Cork or Galway in 45 minutes. Bypass Limerick and reduce the time between Galway and Cork to under 2 hours.

Couldn't agree more. And the OP in fairness (Cork expression - or at least, one that sounds best if said with a Cork accent!) did call for a counter-balance to the sprawling "Greater Dublin Area", which stretches as far as Athlone and Longford. That's what the fabled "Atlantic Corridor" is supposed to try and help. (fabled, because its chances of being delivered now are next to nil).

Mind you, the Shannon tunnel, which is being built and which was in the news this week, combined with the Ennis bypass, will make the journey between Limerick and Galway quicker.

The road between Limerick and Cork though, particularly between Mallow and Croom is a shocking dirt-track, for a road that connects the 2nd and 3rd(4th?) large towns in this republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

shouldn't this really be in west?

I like Galway, i like that size of town. anything bigger gets on my nerves, but i can understand why people wouldn't like it, i find living there frustrating at times. the city itself has a lot of wasted potential though, largely due to incompetent planners, and is sh*t for shopping (even for essentials at times).

the government really need to get up off their ass and redevelop the whole western region. living in Dublin at the minute and it's ridiculous really. Galway in particular is still at that size where proper infrastructure could be put in place and the traffic mess sorted out relatively straightforward. build a proper bypass, restrict more roads to buses and bicycles only and develop a few proper commercial centres on the outskirts to relieve some of the pressure on the city centre. fat chance of that happening though.

shouldn't this really be in west?

I like Galway, i like that size of town. anything bigger gets on my nerves, but i can understand why people wouldn't like it, i find living there frustrating at times. the city itself has a lot of wasted potential though, largely due to incompetent planners, and is sh*t for shopping (even for essentials at times).

the government really need to get up off their ass and redevelop the whole western region. living in Dublin at the minute and it's ridiculous really. Galway in particular is still at that size where proper infrastructure could be put in place and the traffic mess sorted out relatively straightforward. build a proper bypass, restrict more roads to buses and bicycles only and develop a few proper commercial centres on the outskirts to relieve some of the pressure on the city centre. fat chance of that happening though.

I find anything bigger than cork too big.

serfboard wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. And the OP in fairness (Cork expression - or at least, one that sounds best if said with a Cork accent!) did call for a counter-balance to the sprawling "Greater Dublin Area", which stretches as far as Athlone and Longford. That's what the fabled "Atlantic Corridor" is supposed to try and help. (fabled, because its chances of being delivered now are next to nil).

Mind you, the Shannon tunnel, which is being built and which was in the news this week, combined with the Ennis bypass, will make the journey between Limerick and Galway quicker.

The road between Limerick and Cork though, particularly between Mallow and Croom is a shocking dirt-track, for a road that connects the 2nd and 3rd(4th?) large towns in this republic.

The worse stretches of the Galway Cork road are, imo, between Gort and the dual carriageway beyond Crusheen and as you say, between Croom and Mallow. It's amazing both stretches haven't been bypassed by now.

I think there will eventually be an urban area along this route to fully counterbalance Dublin, maybe it will be "end-heavy" with Cork and Galway both out stripping Limerick, or maybe all three will develop at roughly even pace, or maybe it will focus on the Limerick-Ennis area as it isn't bounded by geographical factors, i dunno, but I'm fairly certain it will have to happen over the next few generations.

The worse stretches of the Galway Cork road are, imo, between Gort and the dual carriageway beyond Crusheen and as you say, between Croom and Mallow. It's amazing both stretches haven't been bypassed by now.

Motorway plans for Galway-Limerick-Cork are in place...the government actually being able to afford it all is another matter altogether. There is a massive thread on this forum about that route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

ingalway wrote: »
    I also feel, like previous poster, that people in Galway are very insular and no where near as friendly and funny as Cork people.
    I have to agree with Bass Cadet on this. The notion of anywhere being more insular than Cork is hilarious. I lived in Cork and found it to be incredibly cliquish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement