Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Or Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

galway is very cliquish and in a recession too lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

missannik wrote: »
    Fascinating! I'm in the process of immigrating to Ireland, and am stuck between going to Galway or Cork (or Limerick) so its nice to read locals opinions, so to balance out my views from when I was a tourist. (No I'm not a loud Spaniard or fat American. :p)

Am curious as to which town has better health care?

None of them! If it's good healthcare you want, skip Ireland altogether! No go area!

... Ok so that's a slight exaggeration. St John's hospital in Limerick consistently rates best in the country but it's only a small hospital and doesn't do everything. Otherwise the healthcare would be more or less the same in all three cities.

Don't believe the hype about Galway - try Limerick for size! Growing cultural and cosmopolitan scene, it's a city that's going places. Also plenty of jobs coming up with the regeneration programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

missannik wrote: »
    Fascinating! I'm in the process of immigrating to Ireland, and am stuck between going to Galway or Cork (or Limerick) so its nice to read locals opinions...

Am curious as to which town has better health care?

There are a few things that no one should come to Ireland for:

- the weather
    - the water (tap supplies taste horrid, even when they're not contaminated with lead of crytosporidum)
    - the infrastructure (roads, libraries, public swimming pools, bus shelters, street signs ... even the simplest of things are either missing or grossly inadequate ... this was a poor country 'til very recently)
    - the health system, either personal or public.

Don't let that put you off. But be very clear about what you're here for, so you can focus on that.

Cork is a far bigger city, you're more likely to get a job there. (119,000 vs 72,000 at the last census, figures rounded to the nearest 000).

Cork is the "high art" capital of Ireland - complete with its own Opera House. Galway is the "folk art" capital of Ireland, complete with the Macnas community arts organisation which is still based in a crumbling set of sheds down by the river.

As a visitor, I likeed Cork far better than Galway. I stayed here 'cos my friends were here, and I've found it a very easy city to live in. But that's as an office worker living in the inner city without a car. Might be quite different in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mdo

Not at all there needs to be a balance you dont want the tourists completly taking over the place.
    Oh please galway attracts the same loud spanish tourists and fat americans you see in cork.I just think that in high summer galway is quite tacky.I guess some people like me prefer a more genuine atmosphere.

I was one of the tourists, you know, the fat americans you refer to that visited your country. We were there this past Feb. (Feb 14-17, 2008) I didn't notice any tourists while in Galway, just a bunch of friendly Irish... Had a great time in the pubs! I was amazed at the genuine hospitality from everyone we met.....The Park House Hotel and local merchants seemed to enjoy the fat american dollars, I mean Euro that me, my wife, sister in law/husband were spending the 4 days we were in Galway... I chose to make my first visit during a time when tourism would be low.... Hope my presence didn't disrupt you in any way....

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

^ ^ ^ lol. 8)

Thanks scary_tractors and Just Mary- greatly appreciate the advice/ local knowledge. :)I'll be sure to look into the points that you've both raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

mdo wrote: »
    I was one of the tourists, you know, the fat americans you refer to that visited your country. We were there this past Feb. (Feb 14-17, 2008) I didn't notice any tourists while in Galway, just a bunch of friendly Irish... Had a great time in the pubs! I was amazed at the genuine hospitality from everyone we met.....The Park House Hotel and local merchants seemed to enjoy the fat american dollars, I mean Euro that me, my wife, sister in law/husband were spending the 4 days we were in Galway... I chose to make my first visit during a time when tourism would be low.... Hope my presence didn't disrupt you in any way....

Glad you had a great time here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm from Galway and I'm not bias...I don't like it, I say we knock it all down starting with the useless shopping centre and that pain in the arse they call Shop Street. Let the Hippies feck off to Dublin and the Yuppies feck off with them....what a world it would be...no more Arts Festivals and GAAW..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yes!

YES!

YES!

nuke.jpg

thank you for playing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement