Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for your recommendations on a poem

Options
  • 30-09-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm writing a script for a film - it's a college thing. At the end of the film, I want my protaganist to be sitting in a bar, listening to a poem which reflects the journey he has been on. right now tha't still being formulated, but I anticipate that he will have made some unlucky/bad choices and ended up being hated by society despite not deserving it. I see him as someone who wins a Championship belt, but not becoming the star he wanted, not getting the respect he deserved, and ending up destitute. I realise that's unclear, but so, right now, is my script.

Anyways, I see him in a bar for my final scene, where there is a poetry reading. I'm thinking that the tone should be 'I could have been someone' or 'I could have made other choices' etc. I don't want to use Frost's road not taken because it's too cliche, but i'm drawing a blank otherwise. Any advice? A reading from a passage/play could be used also, or maybe a song, but poem would be my first choice becuase I like poetry.

Hope this is the best place for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

to me only one family wrote true poems that was the bronte family[charlotte-emily.-and anne]the reason i say this is that when they wrote the poems it was to each other and not to make money also the rev patrick bronte {parent}was a irishman and charlotte also married a irishman--if you do nothing else read the poems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Excerpt from Ironweed - William Kennedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

have him considering suicide and use dress rehearsal rag by leonard cohen

last year's man also by leonard cohen a blander option.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

thanks all. like the leonard cohen idea... not sure i wanna go suicidal on it but they are haunting songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Try Bukowski's Bluebird or his new collection Com on In, some good retrospection there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The Emperor of Ice-Cream Wallace Stevens

Call the roller of big cigars,
    The muscular one, and bid him whip
    In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
    Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
    As they are used to wear, and let the boys
    Bring flowers in last month's newspapers.
    Let be be finale of seem.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
    Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
    On which she embroidered fantails once
    And spread it so as to cover her face.
    If her horny feet protrude, they come
    To show how cold she is, and dumb.
    Let the lamp affix its beam.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

emily bronty--[i know not how it falls on me ]i not how it falls on me--this summer evening;hushed and lone--yet the faint wind comes soothingly--with something of an olden tone
    forgive me if i;ve shunned so long- ----your gentle greeting earth and air--but sorrow withers even the strong--and who can fight against despair

Advertisement