Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change Machine

Options
  • 30-09-2008 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Anyone know where there is a change machine in or around the city? I know some of the Spars used to do them but not sure if they still do. Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Funworld next to Supermacs on the Ennis Road is the only place I can think of. You put in notes and get Euro coins back. Not exactly sure if that's what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

McGowans in Ballycummin Dooradoyle has one.

Its a machine that takes in scrap change and gives you a ticket to redeem at the cash registers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The Topaz on the Dock road has a machine that counts yer change. takes a percentage of it though, can't remember how much it is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That is handy, do you have to have the coins seperated into 1c, 2c, 5c etc or can the coins all be put in together and the machine sorts them out?

Also which Topaz on the Dock road, as there are two, the old Statoil and the old Shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it is the Topez with the new fast food place, close to the new set of traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ballycummin Village spar has some machine that
    sorts change out and gives you a slip of paper which you
    bring to the couter to get your papermoney I think.
    Dont know if it works or not as I've never seen anyone use it.
    Dont know either if you can just dump a huge bottle of unsorted coins
    into it and it sorts everything out for itself or not.

I'm surprised that my local bank does NOT have a machine
    like this. Instead you have to queue for ages
    and land a load of bags of sorted change at some poor sod
    behind the counter to weigh. Sticking a change sorter in
    a few banks in Limerick would be great and save so Much time for the person counting and sorting change before bagging, and also the bank employee that needs to sort/weigh it.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

The spar near the university in Castletory has one. I think they charge you 9% of the takings. Good idea though, even though 9% is a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

was just about to mention the one in castletroy, 9% is ridiculous though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

bullets wrote: »
    Instead you have to queue for ages
    and land a load of bags of sorted change at some poor sod
    behind the counter to weigh. Sticking a change sorter in
    a few banks in Limerick would be great and save so Much time for the person counting and sorting change before bagging, and also the bank employee that needs to sort/weigh it.

~B

A few years ago I counted my the change in my shrapnel jar, sorted and bagged it and gave it to the poor sod, I ended up with €120, funded a Ryanair weekend away!

Have to say though between counting it and everything else it took me about three hours, still though, €40 an hour is not to be sniffed at. Speaking of which, been meaning to count the change in that jar again one of these days...

lg123 wrote: »
    was just about to mention the one in castletroy, 9% is ridiculous though

I only do it for coins less than 20c. The time it would take to count those would cost you more in personal time than it would having 9% removed from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

bullets wrote: »
    Sticking a change sorter in
    a few banks in Limerick would be great ....

It's not like they shouldn't be able to afford installing them what with the guarantees they're getting from the government...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sloppydrunk

The Spar near me has a machine and you can just dump the coins in, it definately works but it takes 12% which is ridiculous i reckon..

I counted over 160 euro in loose change recently,, that wud hav cost me about 20 euro,,,,,,,, not a hope.....

so i brought it down the bank and they refused to take it cos you have to have the coins in exact amounts in every bank bag

e.g.
    2 euro coins must be in bags of 50euro
    10c coins in bags of ten euro
    1c coins in 1 euro bags (imagine sitting down and counting out 500 1c pieces for 5 euro)

anything over or under cannot be changed, so if u count wrong its back home to count again,, i still have the 160 euro by the way

If Spar can get in these counting machines,, then why dont the bank get them in so u can just pour the money in without a charge... coudnt cost too much:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The shrapnel jar gets robbed by my father, and he sorts and counts it but i swear he takes a percentage of it :mad:

gaf1983 wrote: »
    It's not like they shouldn't be able to afford installing them what with the guarantees they're getting from the government...

The banks in Australia have them.

Advertisement